MERGED --> Is anyone else sick of Coldplay?? + Shut the F*CK Up About Coldplay - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 05:01 AM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Coldplay's albums keep getting worse as they go. Off the new album, Talk, White Shadows, and the actually song "X&Y" (not the album) are the only ones I can listen to repeatedly. I loved a few songs off of Parachutes like Shiver, Don't Panic, and Trouble. Only Clocks off of AROBTTH was close to any of those, I find the new album rushed and incomplete.

BTW, if Coldplay ever had a song as rockin' as Vertigo, Until the End of the World, The Fly, or Bullet the Blue Sky, I would personally buy a ticket, fly to Europe, track down Chris Martin, and congradulate him on being the SECOND best band in the world. Not as if that will ever happen.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #77
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS

Are you talking about Radiohead?
LMAO!

Old 06-14-2005, 06:31 AM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IrishDawg
I find the new album rushed and incomplete.
If anything, Coldplay should try rushing out an album instead of agonizing over it for years and overproducing it.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #79
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

I guess that depends on the definition of what rock is. Sure, on the albums Coldplay sounds pretty soft and I admit that. This is partly due to something U2 have given up on: atmosphere. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree certianly don't sound very rocking either; thats because U2 once believed in putting atmosphere in songs.

I think hearing Coldplay live really turns their atmospheric sound into more rocking songs. Sure, they don't have a ton and there are the ballads like Trouble or The Scientist, but they've only had 3 albums now. All I know is that Yellow, Shiver, Politik, God Put A Smile..., Moses, One I Love, Clocks all really rock live, and from the new album Square One, Talk, White Shadows and Low will all really rock. Also, a lot of their songs build and build till the end--look at Amsterdam from the Coldplay Live 2003 DVD. On the new album, Swallowed By The Sea and A Message really start rocking by the end too.

Hell, Until The End of the World, Bullet The Blue Sky and many other U2 songs don't sound that rocking either until they're played live.
After listening to X & Y this past weekend, I'd have to say its their most rockin effort. Not Motorhead or AC/DC rock but pretty rockin for Coldplay.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #80
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

One: I disagree with your thoughts about Bullet and UTEOTW...I could never fall asleep to them(especially UTEOTW), they excite me far too much, regardless of whether it's studio or live - so much passion, raw energy, rock energy.

Two: I'm not saying that Still Haven't Found, Red Hill, Trip Through, or One Tree Hill are all-out rockers or anything, I'm just saying that they don't sound like ballads either, whereas pretty all of Coldplay's songs, with a handful of exceptions(Politik, Shivers, Daylight, A Whisper, One I Love), sound like ballads to me. WOWY is a ballad so I'll rephrase what I said as 'every song on JT except for WOWY, RTSS, and MOTD is more rocking than anything CP have ever put out'.

Three: How long you've been a band and how big your back catalog is has no bearing on whether you can make 'rock' music or not. Note I'm not taking quality into account here. A twenty-year-old band can be totally inept at making rock music and a five-year-old band can be totally amazing at it. And vice versa. Your arguement about U2's back catalog is invalid. The fact remains that Coldplay aren't a rock band and that is THE major reason they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as U2. Coldplay hasn't even tried(very often anyway) to make rock music. They are content to make keyboard-heavy easy-listening pop music.

And don't get me wrong, they are VERY good at doing that, and I DO enjoy their music. It's just ridiculous to say they're even making the same kind of music U2 do, is all.

And to answer your other question, no I haven't seen CP live. Not for real anyway. I have the Live 2003 album and I've seen them live on TV a lot. But I suppose that doesn't count.
I don't think you've really listened to the new Coldplay album and know a lot of their songs if you consider U2 to be a lot more rockin then Coldplay, proportionally speaking (in the sense of pace, loudness/ distortion use, beats, etc.) Especially in reference to the Joshua Tree era. If you're talking about traditional rock in the Chuck Berry style, then YEs, U2 does rock more in that sense.

I do agree that Until the End and Bullet are some of U2's most rockin moments. IMO... Joshua Tree isn't more rockin then X&Y if we're talkin about the harder faster sound type of rock. I'd say they are about the same IMO.

Rock has such huge arms that IMO anything can fall into the category. Coldplay is one group that does.

ATYLCB had plenty of atmosphere IMO but I guess it depends on what you view as atmosphere.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #81
Refugee

Local Time: 01:36 PM
coldplay is NOT a rock band. they are boring POPPERS
Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

btw, the new Coldplay is awesome!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I love that this thread (well...threads) has become a big discussion about Coldplay.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 AM   #84
Refugee

Quote:
mikal wrote: btw, the new Coldplay is awesome!
@mikal: the new album of the lukewarm coldplayer is awful. its music for the supermarkets...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:01 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Coldplay are fine...they'll just NEVER compare to DEVO.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

wow! "Swallowed By The Sea" is fucking awesome! this album is pure gold.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #87
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
btw, the new Coldplay is awesome!
just like the old coldplay
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

I only like the song "Yellow" ... ...
The rest of their music is over-rated ...
Old 06-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #89
War Child

Maybe the mods should just give Coldplay its own slice of B&C.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #90
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by saltwaterkiss26
Maybe the mods should just give Coldplay its own slice of B&C.

YES!

Tags
coldplay