MERGED-->Interpol Antics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
Antics

this album sounds kinda like REM meets the tragically hip

or something

not bad though

I like it, but am having a hard time getting into it as much as their debut. But I have heard that it takes many listens to appreciate, and I am only at 3 listens. Maybe I will make it 4 right now. :)

i'm very adamant about the new interpol album being a) better than their debut and b) the best album of the year. hands down. slow hands. whatever. you get my drift. i went and purchased a clean copy `cause i only had a burned advance copy and it sounds even better when it's new. ahhh. interpol, how do i love thee? let me count the ways:

1. i love that you all dress so snazzy. black is the new black.

2. i love that you can take depressing lyrics and match them with the most beautifully angular melodies i've heard since fat bob decided to start making craptastic music.

3. i love that you drink more than i do. and then go onstage and play amazing shows without throwing up everywhere.

4. i just plain love your new album. it makes me wat to cry. especially on the song "not even jail" when the ending sounds like a thousand twinkling stars on a clear night. thank you interpol. thank you from the bottom of my pseudo-goth heart

Zoorock Girl! said:
I don't really like Antics. :| Certainly not like TOTBL.

Just curious, how many times have you heard it? I was ambivalent the first two times, and it starting catching on the 3rd and 4th times. Maybe I will continue to like it even more.

I've burnt a good deal of the songs on a recent cd, and it doesn't help. It almost sounds cheesy to me. Maybe one day it'll click, I don't know, but I doubt it.

About two weeks ago, I purchased the cd through Amazon, and as a result, was allowed to stream the entire album until few days after the release date (09/29 or 09/30, I can't remember). It is a great album! I love "Turn On the Bright Lights", but I think Antics is a more mature record, musically. And ZooRock Girl, I have to agree with The_Sweetest_Thing : "Interpol cannot be fully appreciated on a track by track basis" :yes: . Give Antics a few more listens! :sexywink: This definitly is one of 2004 best albums.

-Cyril

i'm love everything by interpol. they're my *new* favourite band, meaning they've been given a permanent slot on the list of my faves.

Also loving Antics. So far, none of the songs give me the emotions I feel when I listen to Obstacle 1 or PDA (maybe that's because of the memories I associate with those songs), but overall, I agree that it's a more solid, consistent, cohesive album than Turn On the Bright Lights. It's hard to pick my favorites so far because they change every time I listen to it, but the one that gives me pause every time (in a good way) is Take You on a Cruise. Length of Love, Evil, and Narc are also sounding good to me. Might have to pop in the CD for a third time today. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:
Also loving Antics. So far, none of the songs give me the emotions I feel when I listen to Obstacle 1 or PDA (maybe that's because of the memories I associate with those songs), but overall, I agree that it's a more solid, consistent, cohesive album than Turn On the Bright Lights. It's hard to pick my favorites so far because they change every time I listen to it, but the one that gives me pause every time (in a good way) is Take You on a Cruise. Length of Love, Evil, and Narc are also sounding good to me. Might have to pop in the CD for a third time today. :up:

I agree completely with your favorite songs. I like Slow Hands a lot as well, though a lot of die hard fans do not. I know it sounds like Franz Ferdinand, but I like them.

I like Slow Hands too. But here's the deal with Slow Hands for me. If you've seen the video, you know that everything is in really slow motion. So every time I hear the song, I have this sensation that things should be moving slow, the song should be sounding slower, but the song rocks on and goes fast, which just messes with my poor little mind. The song actually sounds slower when I'm watching the video than when I'm just hearing the song on CD. It's weird how the video has warped my sense of how the song sounds.

Anyway, yes. Slow Hands is excellent. And I have lost my mind. :D

I saw the video once. Looked about the same as PDA, NYC, and Obstacle 1. Can they come up with a new look? Even their cd pictures remind me of their videos. Oh well, I like the music.

Still havent bought it, im sure I will eventually as I think the songs Ive heard are good. Not as good at Turn on the Bright Lights though, that album was just exceptional.

Overall, I'd say it's a good album--not as amazing as TOTBL--but an amazing second effort. Keep in mind that ANYONE following the success of the first album would have had a difficult time but Interpol has done it justice while creating a new sound. They're less dark, less edgy...but still sound like Interpol.

Dammit, I :heart: them

Interpol Antics

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this yet... I went back about 8 pages and saw the "new interpol album leaked" thread, but nothing besides that, so I figure now that the album's officially out it's time for a discussion thread.

What are your thoughts? Better or worse than Turn On the Bright Lights? For me it's hard to say, 'cause I love TOTBL (if we abbreviate for U2 albums and songs, why not Interpol? :p), but I'm starting to really, really like Antics too. My favourites are Narc, Take You On A Cruise, and A Time To Be So Small. I have to get used to ATTBSS though, because I downloaded a version of it ages ago (I thought it was on their EP, Percipitate, or something... I'm wondering how the hell someone got ahold of the song months and months ago :shrug: ) and the vocals were all weird and jerky... I thought it was part of the effect of the song or something. :shrug: now that the song is all, normal, I have to get used to it...I kinda liked the old weird jerky version :p maybe it'll be the same way with the new U2 album :D "Yeah, I just can't get used to Miracle Drug without the crashing waves and talking Spanish guys... I think they shoulda kept that on the album..."

Anyway, back to Interpol. Discuss!

EDIT: sorry, I completely missed the thread on the second page :banghead: you can close this or merge or something. Sorry again

Last edited:
Better than their first album. More accessible, IMO. I heard it a few times about a month ago (very early, I know).

I still have a problem differentiating their songs.

Back
Top Bottom