Merged -> In Memoriam, Remembering September 11...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screaming Flower

ONE love, blood, life
In Memoriam...

I realize this is a little early, but I was reading this today and I wanted to share it.

The Names

Yesterday, I lay awake in the palm of the night.

A soft rain stole in, unhelped by any breeze,

And when I saw the silver glaze on the windows,

I started with A, with Ackerman, as it happened,

Then Baxter and Calabro,

Davis and Eberling, names falling into place

As droplets fell through the dark.

Names printed on the ceiling of the night.

Names slipping around a watery bend.

Twenty-six willows on the banks of a stream.

In the morning, I walked out barefoot

Among thousands of flowers

Heavy with dew like the eyes of tears,

And each had a name --

Fiori inscribed on a yellow petal

Then Gonzalez and Han, Ishikawa and Jenkins.

Names written in the air

And stitched into the cloth of the day.

A name under a photograph taped to a mailbox.

Monogram on a torn shirt,

I see you spelled out on storefront windows

And on the bright unfurled awnings of this city.

I say the syllables as I turn a corner --

Kelly and Lee,

Medina, Nardella, and O'Connor.

When I peer into the woods,

I see a thick tangle where letters are hidden

As in a puzzle concocted for children.

Parker and Quigley in the twigs of an ash,

Rizzo, Schubert, Torres, and Upton,

Secrets in the boughs of an ancient maple.

Names written in the pale sky.

Names rising in the updraft amid buildings.

Names silent in stone

Or cried out behind a door.

Names blown over the earth and out to sea.

In the evening -- weakening light, the last swallows.

A boy on a lake lifts his oars.

A woman by a window puts a match to a candle,

And the names are outlined on the rose clouds --

Vanacore and Wallace,

(let X stand, if it can, for the ones unfound)

Then Young and Ziminsky, the final jolt of Z.

Names etched on the head of a pin.

One name spanning a bridge, another undergoing a tunnel.

A blue name needled into the skin.

Names of citizens, workers, mothers and fathers,

The bright-eyed daughter, the quick son.

Alphabet of names in a green field.

Names in the small tracks of birds.

Names lifted from a hat

Or balanced on the tip of the tongue.

Names wheeled into the dim warehouse of memory.

So many names, there is barely room on the walls of the heart.

~Billy Collins, U.S. Poet Laureate

God bless everyone.

Last edited:
Remembering September 11...

I just awoke on Sept 11, 2002. Last year at this time, I woke up to a different world. My thoughts are with you America today, especially those who lost loved ones a year ago today.

We Shall Never Forget...

Walk On.

That poem was beautiful Shannon.....

I think it is safe to say that everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing one year ago.

At this time one year ago (sept. 10th) all I could think about was that I had the next day off of work....and all the things I had to do....never really took into consideration what was happening outside my little, often times selfish, world. 24 hours later, I finally saw how petty the "big problems" in my life were.

Let's take this time to pray for peace, and work to make sure this does not happen again anywhere.

Stay safe, but don't be afraid to live.

:hug:

Imagine, John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one

My City of Ruins, Bruce Springsteen

There's a blood red circle
On the cold dark ground
And the rain is falling down
The church door's thrown open
I can hear the organ's song
But the congregation's gone
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Now the sweet bells of mercy
Drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
Like scattered leaves
The boarded up windows
The empty streets
While my brother's down on his knees
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Come on rise up! Come on rise up!

Now there's tears on the pillow
Darlin' where we slept
And you took my heart when you left
Without your sweet kiss
My soul is lost, my friend
Tell me how do I begin again?
My city's in ruins
My city's in ruins

Now with these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the strength, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands

Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up!

Last edited:
Re: In Memoriam...

Screaming Flower said:
So many names, there is barely room on the walls of the heart.

that is beautiful. I hope everyone has space and time to grieve and love and heal tomorrow.

Heaven on Earth
We need it now
I'm sick of all of this
Hanging around

Sick of sorrow
I'm sick of the pain
I'm sick of hearing
Again and again
That there's gonna be
Peace on Earth

I fully realize that what I am about to post will upset some here, but I asked myself:

"Should I write what people want to hear, or should I write what is actually in my heart and on my mind?"

I chose honesty: many here are genuinely moved by the words of John Lennon, but I am moved by the words of George Patton. If you must find fault with what I've written, take it up with the administrators.

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

President Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863

Death, in time, comes to all men. Yes, every man is scared in his first battle. If he says he's not, he's a liar. Some men are cowards but they fight the same as the brave men or they get the hell slammed out of them watching men fight who are just as scared as they are. The real hero is the man who fights even though he is scared. Some men get over their fright in a minute under fire. For some, it takes an hour. For some, it takes days. But a real man will never let his fear of death overpower his honor, his sense of duty to his country, and his innate manhood....

Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo.

- General George S. Patton, June 5th, 1944

Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done....

We are not deceived by their pretenses to piety. We have seen their kind before. They are the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions -- by abandoning every value except the will to power -- they follow in the path of fascism, and Nazism, and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way, to where it ends: in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies....

Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment. Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom -- the great achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on us. Our nation -- this generation -- will lift a dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail.

- President George W. Bush, September 20, 2001

In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me;
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Re: 9/11 in remeberance

u2sangel said:
Fellow Interferencers I would like to ask all of you to keep my sister in law in your thoughts tomorrow.She lost her uncle in the WTC.Tomorrow will be a very hard day for her!

I sure will, girl. :hug:

:heart: United We Stand :heart:

When the heart makes cloudy,
The heart makes very clear.
The days were so much brighter
In the time when they were here.
But I know there's somebody somewhere,
To make these dark clouds disappear.
Until that day, I have to believe,
I believe, I believe.

In a New York minute,
Everything can change.
In a New York minute,
You can get out of the rain.
In a New York minute,
Everything can change.

-Don Henley

I am listening to Dido this morning. I am trying to do my work and not think about it.

but i do
i was different
i sat in this office
one row up
i wore a uniform
we have 2 big screen TVs
and we watched it all happen
then messages started
coming in
it got busy
then the threatcon level
went up
and then up again
then again
it had not been that high in years
the last time was
in my dads time as an airman i think
i love my dad
he understood
i called him
and he told me
to do my job
I can't remember
the last time I was up
for that many hours in a row
then there was other loses
personal ones that day
that i did not know about
until later
just random thoughts
I feel better
I am going to try to go back to work
and wait for the day to be over
I hate that my birthday is soon

911-u2.gif

well today has been hard for me and its only 8:30. I got up this morning, got dressed like I did that morning and took the subway in to work. I started work in a new office building Monday after almost a year after moving in to temporary office space. The subway stopped at Broadway/Nassau-- my old subway stop a block away from the Trade Center. And I had to keep going. The stop after that still has the signs "Chambers St./WTC" on the pillars.

Its going to be a pretty depressing day here in NYC and a pretty unnerving one. I'm not riding the subway during rush hours for fears of another attack. I'm at work trying to figure out how the hell I am supposed to concentrate today. But I'd rather be here than at home curled up in a ball on my couch watching TV.

But we're going to keep going.

Sharky, you're not alone. I wanted to stay home in bed today too and just close my eyes and let the day pass by, and I wasn't even in NY when it happened. So I can't imagine how it is for you but I know if you and people like you can do this so can the rest of us. Like you said, we're going to keep going.

I just feel pretty disconnected from the world right now with no TV access and no one really to talk to. I think I'll listen to Bruce & read the Boston Herald.

aol

I've just watched the French documentary about the firefighters and the moment's silence in NY has not long happened.
I feel like Im actually living this more now because when it happened I was in London totally oblivious and didnt find out until hours and hours later.
I got on a plane headed straight for home the very next day.

So now I sit and actually find out what actually happened. My mother just now told me what she went through that night back here, frantic as Australia received reports on the news that London was the next to be hit. She said it was one of the worst nights of her life and she has kept it from me for a year. Nothing compared to what Americans must have felt and are still dealing with every day.

America you are in my thoughts and prayers. Know that people on the other side of the planet are thinking of you all.

Yes, I remember the story about the plane heading to London...

And here I am in front of the display, exactly like one year ago.

I visited the forum where I was when it happened.

Strange mood

Walking to my building this morning I noticed how quiet everything is.

Everyone knows NYC is the loudest city on earth....not today. :sad:

"We'll probably never know if the plane ultimately was headed toward the White House or the Capitol. But no matter where it was ultimately headed, the act of heroism that took place on that aircraft stands out as one of the most amazing feats of heroism in our country's long history of heroes." (re: Flight 93.)

'A day of tears and a day of prayer and a day of national resolve'

On the news a man who survived despite being on floor #84 of Tower2 (only 17 people survived from above the impact of the plane in that tower) said something pretty powerful. He remarked how many months, years, of planning this took by those terrorist. Years of planning evil. In matters of moments, New Yorkers, Americans and humans worldwide instinctively responded with selflessness, grace, goodness, risking and sometimes giving their own lives for others. If there is a light in all of this, I think that would be it.

I was just reading that bumped thread from last year

inSANE

it all happened so fast

I can remember it
but I can't even imagine

I miss my mom today :sad: :(

I wanna go home and sleep in my own bed

Last edited:
Hang in there, sharky and loopy and all NYC interferencers. The entire planet mourns with you today.

I also just read through some of the original thread started here last year. I cannot believe a year has gone by. It feels like less than a month, but a very long month. :sad: I hear my coworkers laughing and carrying on outside my office, but I'm not feeling up to that today. *shuts office door* I'd rather be here with y'all anyway.

:hug:

a year ago today, i was getting ready for school when my mom told me what happened. it was so unreal. yeah...it feels like it happened a month ago. time flies fast. i feel anger more than sadness.

Even though they psyched us into fearing planes now more than anything

that's all you could hear at nighttime over the DC Metro area.

It was friggin SCARY.

Military, gov't planes and helicopters. Not a nice thing to wake up to or try to go to sleep too.

Anthrax scares and bomb threats in local malls and buildings and downtown.

:|

my own personal memorial service

8:46am est
moment of silence
slip in ATYCLB
Walk On
Kite (watch eerie reflection of my American flag from front porch somehow wind up on the back deck)
Peace On Earth
New York (try to find disc with towers pix NJ view from 5/01 in pile of at least 20 unlabeled discs, it's the first one I find)
Grace (pray for those who don't understand the pain, pray for those who do)
9:24 (with Elvis playing in the background) speak to my husband who is in Chicago wondering why I didn't call him at 8:46. realized this is when I called him one year ago in a Newark hotel next to the airport to tell him to look out his window. he watched both towers collapse, smelled the smoke and felt the dust come over the river. we were supposed to share life changing experiences, but we each have our own journeys.

hugged and kissed my kids a lot today and told them that freedom and peace are part of the American dream.

Peace and one love to all:heart:

Back
Top Bottom