MERGED ----> I finally saw Donnie Darko + tell me why you don't like it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
I finally saw Donnie Darko

<b>Storyline </b>
<i>During the presidential election of 1988, a teenager named Donnie Darko sleepwalks out of his house one night, and sees a giant, demonic-looking rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world will end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. He returns home the next morning to find that a jet engine has crashed through his bedroom. As he tries to figure out why he survived and tries to deal with people in his town, like the school bully, his conservative health teacher, and a self-help guru, Frank continues to turn up in Donnie's mind, causing him to commit acts of vandalism and worse. </i>

<b>Script/storyline: </b>
Well written all around. There are some parts of the movie I really didn't get but that was to be expected from everyone I have talked to who has seen the movie. The dialog was very smart and intrigued me within the first 30 minutes. After the movie, Josh and I spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out some of the meanings and possibilities in the movie. The last time I have had such "what if" conversations was a few years ago watching "Lost Highway".

<b> Cinematography/Editing: </b>
The best editing/camera work I have seen in ages. I like how certain scenes were slowed down and speed up to set the mood. There were some special effects but none overdone. Very dark lighting and very odd camera angles set the mood of the film nicely. The panning shots were very trippy.

<b> Acting: </b>
Jake Gyllenhaal did an awesome job as Donnie Darko. He set the mood of a kid with psychological condition like schizophrenia. Everyone else in the movie did an okay job but the acting was a little on the bland side. The movie was clearly centered around the character of Donnie Darko.

<b> Hair/Make-up/Costume:</b>
Donnie Darko looked deranged and sick. The "tired" look was really well done. The movie was set in the 80's. I liked how it wasn't too obviously 80's with the hair, music, clothes etc. The private school setting allowed the concentration to be on the storyline instead of the viewer being distracted by 80's nostalgia that's usually present in movie's set and or about the 80's. The bunny scares me. I can still see the image of the scary bunny in my head when I close my eyes and that is a good indication of a well made costume.

did you see it on dvd?

it is currently in a few selected theaters with 20 added minutes and different soundtrack?

deep I got it on DVD and it is not ran in theatres but the extra 2- minutes are featured on the DVD as part of the deleted scenes. The soundtrack rocked.

Tomer...donnie darko is a movie.

tell me why you don't like it

I spent so much time on my Donnie Darko review, posted it on various movie and fan sites and some people's responses were "I didn't like the movie". It is completely fine to not like a movie but tell me why you didn't like it. When I ask these people who reply for more reasoning as to what they found the movie displeasing, they don't reply back.

I just love it in general when people say things off the top of their head like, "I think it sucked" or "I loved it" and are too lazy to actually think about the comment they have made and provide supporting opinions. I am not talking about just movie reviews, I am talking about things in general.

It is okay to have an opinion, I just want to know why you feel the way you do about certain things.

People do this quite often.

This is why I usually always try to say things like, "I personally didnt care for it" or something like that, instead of something thoughtless like "It sucks".

Regardless, Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies :up:

i've been wanting to see that movie for a long time. i may go rent it tonight.

it is a good movie but was talking about other things in general, people just make too many thoughtless opinions in life. I respect people who have a difference of opinion if they can back up their opinions.

While I personally prefer when people can say why they feel a certain way about any given thing, I've quite often said "I didn't like it" regarding something and left it at that because I didn't feel like getting into it at that point in time.

Especially on a forum, you wouldn't believe the amount of things that just aren't worth getting into. People are passionate, and others are a bit more passive, but I don't know if lazy is always the reason for people not clarifying themselves. Sometimes you have to pick your battles, or what you choose to spend time expounding upon and debating. :shrug:

isabelle_guns said:
deep I got it on DVD and it is not ran in theatres

Actually, Donnie Darko has been re-released into theatres in the last two months or so as the director's cut or elongated version (or something). It's playing in select cities.

Back
Top Bottom