MERGED-->Holy crap Dimebag Darrel is dead....+ RIP Pantera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd just seen this on Yahoo news. It's only confirmed that he was shot so far.

Regardless, this is absolutely terrible.

Oh nooooooooo! *Choked up* serioulsy
This day started so good, and finding about this ironically on a U2 forum, so far I feel like shit. Pantera were one of my early metal influences, and to hear about this tragedy, Dimebag was such a talented guitarist, I don't know what else to say at this point.

December 8 is not a good day for music. (I'm not trying to be funny, I'm being honest). Seems like all the bastards come out. Can you imagine how the rest of the band and the audience feels? i mean, what kind of sick fuck does that at all, let alone during a show. Jesus...

Holy shit! In Columbus! That is seriously sick behavior. At least five dead. Wow. How awful.

I have heard of Pantera vaguely but not the individuals nor their later / other work. This is a tragic event. People should be able to enjoy/play music in safety. Im stunned.

peace

Last edited:
It wasn't a Pantera show, it was his other band, Damage Plan. Regardless of who has died, it's tragic. And just beyond comprehension to me.

Holy shit. 24 years to the day John Lennon was murdered.

I bet this was a copycat or something (maybe not)

Unreal. There are some sick fucking people in this world.

1.DBD
2.Vinnie Paul was first reported dead but aren't, apparently
3. Band manager.
4. Some crewmember
5. Gunman.

Someone who was there said that said that the gunman were screamin something like...You broke up Pantera...You ruined my life....and then he put four bullets in DBD....:(

Lemonboy said:
Someone who was there said that said that the gunman were screamin something like...You broke up Pantera...You ruined my life....and then he put four bullets in DBD....:(

Thats awful. I was just reading that the gunman went straight for him. Puke. What a world we live in. :sigh:

I work in risk management so Im curious about these things. How come the patrons of the club werent scanned, either physically or electronically, before entering? I though that was the norm in the USA.

What a waste.

Last edited:
RIP Pantera

"Gunman kills 4 at Ohio nightclub"

Police officer shoots suspect to death

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 3:40 AM EST (0840 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday night during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, killing four people -- including at least one member of the band -- and critically wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

The attacker leapt onstage as the group, Damageplan, performed, and began "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Two others were injured in the incident, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, formed Damageplan after Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s -- broke up last year. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on the city's north end around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was in the area slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage, killing him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Police have roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives question hundreds of witnesses. Police have brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they wait to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told CNN affiliate WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill said the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie Paul and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

Its probably better if we keep that sort of talk over in FYM. I dont disagree with you but I think its best if this thread is specifically about the unfortunates who died today.

Not that what I think is best is the rule but you know what I mean :huh:

peace

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom