MERGED-->Holy crap Dimebag Darrel is dead....+ RIP Pantera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know next to nothing about Pantera, but my heart goes out to the victims' families, all the fans and all the people in the audience who had to watch such a sickening act of violence happen right in front of them. It terrifies me that pieces of :censored: like the gunman are walking around in the world.

The rest of my week is officially shit after this tragedy.
What can I say, Pantera were one of my first encounters with metal (besides Metallica) :(
I remember seeing the video for "Walk" back in the mid nineties on some dinky local access channel that played random music videos, the rest was history I was hooked on these fellas. The aggression and the groove of their music was incredible (especialy in my teen years :mac:). I seen Pantera live 5 times and all the shows were fucking amazing these guys never disappointed live.
At this point I'm going to celebrate his life this weekend in San Diego with some buddies blasting some PanterA and drinking Dimebag's faves Jager and Crown Royal.
May your soul rock on in the halls of Valhalla Dimebag \m/

dimebag8hf.jpg

Last edited:
I can't stop thinking about Vinnie. I've never seen those two apart. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him to witness that and what it'll be like for him without his brother now. :sad:

arw9797 said:
I can't stop thinking about Vinnie. I've never seen those two apart. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him to witness that and what it'll be like for him without his brother now. :sad:

That's what I was thinking too... the man must be devasted.....:sad: :hug:

Lemonboy (and anyone else this interests) there is a little makeshift memorial at the site of the club. I was thinking at work today and I thought maybe if there was something I could do for you, like leave a copy of something or a flower even, I would be more than willing to do that for you.

I know it isn't much but I'd like to do something if that would help...

1. Dimebag Darrell
2. Nathan Bray - audience member
3. Erin Halk - club employee
4. Jeff Thompson - band security
5. Gunman (whos name I'm choosing not to type)

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

does it rhyme with ducking fouchebag?

lol.

Seriously I dont want anybody to become famous as a result of deaths. I know its not up to me but humour me.

Also I feel for his family and dont want to mention his family name. Yes, I know its easily googled but thats not the point.

Opeth one of my other musical heroes have said the following:

"The members of Opeth want to express their shock and sorrow in light of the recent tragic death of Pantera / Damageplan guitarist Dimebag Darrell. Condolences go out to his family and especially his brother Vinne Paul who we hear is wounded but alive. We hope for a swift recovery. Things like this should not happen!"

Metallica's Lars Ulrich:

RIP DARRELL
12/9/2004

This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.
In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars

wow. it was indeed the anniversary of lennon's death. it's also the date, twenty years ago, that vince neil of motley crue killed the drummer of hanoi rocks in a drunk driving incident.

jesus.

RIP

I am so shocked,, Dimebag was absolutely amazing.

I am broken,,,,

A true guitar hero...
RIP

This is so :censored: sad! My thought are with all the families of the victims and with the people who had to witness this.

When I was about 15 years old I loved Pantera! My uncle (who's a musicjournalist at a metal magazine) gave me Cowboys From Hell for my birthday and soon after I bought Vulgar Display of Power. Anybody who can write a riff like the one in Walk deserves a statue!

R.I.P.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Metallica's Lars Ulrich:

RIP DARRELL
12/9/2004

This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.
In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars

Though he sometimes can come across as a childish asshole (Lars that is) this really shows the heart of this man....

Last edited:
...I still havent got my head found the news yet. Ive got Pantera constantly on my stereo at work right now. Each customer who comes in chats to me about it. No-one can comprehend what's happened.:(
At my local rock club tonight, there's gonna be an hour of purely Pantera in a kind of, I suppose celebration of D.D's work.
If 'The Sleep' or, especially 'Cemetary Gates' are played - I will probably be in tears..:sad:

beli said:
Not that I really think he should have said it ever. :huh:

Correct. What kind of twat goes around saying things like that?!
Especially when they're in the public eye.
(Or rather desperately trying to remain in the public eye by re-joining his cheesy wrinkleys for a pensioners outing):mad:

As someone said, for the metal world this is like losing a president...
But as someone else said at least he died on stage with his axe in his hand.....he would have wanted it that way....

:sad:

Last edited:
beli said:
Is Nikki Sixx a dickhead or wot? :confused:

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/16972004.htm

That article has todays date on it. I hope he said it a long time ago and its only just come into print now. Not that I really think he should have said it ever. :huh:
I'm fairly certain that Sixx was being humorous in that statement, and it was clearly something he said before Dimebag's murder, the 2 are not related, and in fact the members of Motley Crue were good friends with the Abbott brothers.

From Yahoo! news:

Police Search for Motive in Club Shooting

58 minutes ago Entertainment - AP Music

By ANITA CHANG, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Even at the tattoo parlor, 25-year-old N***** G*** made people uneasy, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music. But no one pegged the semi-pro football player who psyched himself up before games by piping thrash-rock legends Pantera into his headphones as the type to go on a shooting rampage.

Police say they may never know why G*** charged the stage at a heavy metal show and gunned down four people, including former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, one of metal rock's most revered guitarists.

Some witnesses said G*** began his rampage by yelling out accusations that Abbott broke up Pantera, one of the most popular heavy metal bands of the 1990s. Sgt. Brent Mull said police had not verified those reports.

"We may never know a motive for this, unless he left a note," Mull said.

Abbott, 38, left Pantera with his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, to form the band Damageplan, which had just begun its first song at the club Alrosa Villa on Wednesday night when G*** dodged two band members, grabbed Darrell Abbott and shot him at least five times in the head.

"He grabbed Dimebag with one hand and shot him with the other," said Kevin Minerd, among the 500 people packed into the smoke-filled nightclub to see Abbott's new band.

In less than five minutes, G*** had shot three others, including Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23, of nearby Grove City; and Jeff Thompson, 40, a bodyguard for the band.

Two people employed by the band, Chris Paluska and John Brooks, were in Riverside Hospital on Friday morning with Paluska listed in good condition and Brooks in serious condition.

An imposing figure, G*** was on the offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder in northwest Ohio, coach Mark Green said Thursday. G*** listened to Pantera on headphones before games during his one season with the team, Green said.

"You wouldn't look at him and think he was capable of doing something like this," Green said. "It wasn't like he was a loner."

A teammate, James Patterson, 31, said when he last spoke with G*** in October, he was laying sod for a landscaping company in Marysville, where G*** kept an apartment.

"I'm just stunned," Patterson said. "I can't even describe how he could have done something like this."

G*** made workers and customers uneasy at the Bears Den Tattoo Studio in Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus, where he stared at people and forced them into conversations, manager Lucas Bender said.

"He comes in here and likes to hang out when he's not wanted," Bender said. "The most pointless conversations."

A tattoo artist at the studio, Bo Toler, said G*** was at the studio Wednesday between 5 and 6 p.m. G*** asked about having the studio order tattoo equipment for him and Toler said he told him no. G*** then got very angry and started yelling at him, he said.

"Last night was actually the first time I noticed his temper," Toler said on Thursday. "After the argument we had he kind of walked out with an attitude. He didn't even say goodbye."

G*** had red hair cut very close, often wore a winter hat and was always wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey, said Mandi Dellinger, who works at a cell phone store on the same block where G*** lives. Police said G*** was wearing the jersey during the shooting.

Dellinger said she used to say hello to G*** but they never had a conversation. "He seemed like a nice guy. He just seemed shy," Dellinger said.

G*** had several minor run-ins with police since 1997, but wasn't considered a troublemaker, Marysville assistant police chief Glenn Nicol said.

G*** ate two or three times a week at Maggie's Restaurant across an alley from his apartment, waitress Emi Walden said. He would stay to chat after eating and seemed lonely, Walden said.

"There was something odd about him, not like he would be dangerous to you, just something about him that wasn't right," she said.

G*** mentioned he was in the Marines but wouldn't talk specifics, Walden said. Messages left with several military public affairs offices trying to confirm his service were not immediately returned.

No one answered the door Thursday at the Marysville home of G***'s mother, Mary Clark. A message left on her cell phone was not immediately returned.

Despite a drizzle and temperatures in the 40s, more than 200 people turned up for a vigil Thursday night in the club's parking lot.

Shawn Sweeney, 22, played "old-school Pantera" on an acoustic guitar and a half-dozen young men held a blue tarp over his head and sang along.

"This is beautiful, this is absolutely beautiful," Sweeney said, referring to the growing crowd.

At one point, a naked young man stood in the middle of the street, arms raised, repeatedly cursing G***. The crowd cheered boisterously, and the man took off in a full sprint across the parking lot as four police officers gave chase.

He was soon tackled and a man in the crowd yelled out, "We got your bond, dude!" as the streaker was led off in handcuffs.

Associated Press writers John Seewer in Toledo, Andy Resnik in Marysville and Carrie Spencer in Columbus contributed to this report.
___

On the Net:

http://www.damageplan.com

http://www.pantera.com

starsgoblue said:
Lemonboy (and anyone else this interests) there is a little makeshift memorial at the site of the club. I was thinking at work today and I thought maybe if there was something I could do for you, like leave a copy of something or a flower even, I would be more than willing to do that for you.

I know it isn't much but I'd like to do something if that would help...

That would be sweet - would u do that? I tried sending ya a PM about it, but you don't accept them.

Lemonboy said:

But as someone else said at least he died on stage with his axe in his hand.....he would have wanted it that way....

:sad:
I always find these statements to be so absurd ("At least he died doing something he loved" and the like), my guess is given the choice, Darrell would have selected dying peacefully in his sleep at age 88 surrounded by his children and grandchildren over being gunned down onstage at age 38 by a psycopath.

beli said:

lol.

Seriously I dont want anybody to become famous as a result of deaths. I know its not up to me but humour me.

Also I feel for his family and dont want to mention his family name. Yes, I know its easily googled but thats not the point.

Good, it shouldn't be mentioned. I also hate to see and hear the name of Lennon's killer mentioned, or screamed out at a concert, because that's what he wanted. He was after fame, to have his name forever asscociated with John Lennon. He doesn't deserve to have that reward. So call him the asshole idiot gunman instead.

Back
Top Bottom