MERGED-->Holy crap Dimebag Darrel is dead....+ RIP Pantera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numb1075 said:
Pantera was a wonderful band if you are in the mood for "Loud aggressive music". very, very talented musicians.

Lemonboy, can we keep the America bashing out of this?:wink:

Yeah sure...:up: let's close our eyes to the cause until it happens again...:rolleyes:

sure, there are a lot of issues in america, gun control being one of them. There is plenty of legislation that needs to be passed to make america stronger and safer, but there are maniacs everywhere (don't know where you reside), but maniacs will find ways to murder - if this nut was truely intent on killing someone, and he didn't have a gun, he'd use a lead pipe, a freaking tree branch, perhaps mow him down in a car......whatever.

Point being, gun control is a bigger and separate issue than what is being discussed here. AND NO, we aren't ignoring it.

no harsh feelings intended my friend.:wink:

deep said:

my girlfriend just moved to columbus 3 weeks ago
she calls it Upper Arlington

it is sad.

one person with a gun can ruin many lives.

Upper Arlington is a really really safe and quiet residential area.....NOTHING ever happens there except for the police trying to catch high schoolers TPing yards....:|

This is just a deranged and terrible thing....

Numb1075 said:
sure, there are a lot of issues in america, gun control being one of them. There is plenty of legislation that needs to be passed to make america stronger and safer, but there are maniacs everywhere (don't know where you reside), but maniacs will find ways to murder - if this nut was truely intent on killing someone, and he didn't have a gun, he'd use a lead pipe, a freaking tree branch, perhaps mow him down in a car......whatever.

Point being, gun control is a bigger and separate issue than what is being discussed here. AND NO, we aren't ignoring it.

no harsh feelings intended my friend.:wink:

I usually don't come across sounding like an ass...but after having reread my posts in this thread i have to point out that I have nothing against American people, just the American system....and tonight I am just sad and pissed of at the world....

:reject:

Lemonboy said:

I usually don't come across sounding like an ass...but after having reread my posts in this thread i have to point out that I have nothing against American people, just the American system....and tonight I am just sad and pissed of at the world....

:reject:

The problem was one crazy American :(

and when you asked what does a driveby in your country have to do with this is, I was trying to show that even if they are illegal the weirdos will find a way to get them.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Oh, really? I did not know that. Wow...

It is scary that so many celebrities get threats like this...can't the morons who send these threats find anything better to do with their lives? Good god...some real sickos in this world, indeed.

Angela

Yeah, have you seen the movie? Mick had been getting death threats, and was scared of being killed on stage. This happened at the Altamont Speedway concert in SF on Dec. 6, 1969 (I was one day old) The Stones made a mistake in hiring the Hell's Angels as security :tsk: During one fight, they knocked out Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin! Later in the show, when the Stones were on the stage, there was a fight in the crowd. One of the Hell's Angels had a problem that a black guy in the crowd had a white girlfriend, and harrassed him. Intimidated, he pulled a gun. Someone said Mick saw the gun and freaked out, thinking the guy was going to shoot him. The bikers attacked and killed the guy. It was a terrible part of rock history, and some said it spoiled the good feelings left by Woodstock a few months before.

Thanks guys! :heart: :hug:

But my heart goes out to his family and his brother and of course the families of the four other people that was killed...:sad:

Last edited:
I cannot imagine what it would be like to witness a brother die in such a circumstance. Horrendous.

I noticed the gunmans name has been released. Im not going to type it out. But I actually feel for his family too. They have lost a son and would most likely be receiving a lot of anger and hate from the local community as well. Thats got to be difficult too.

Its all awful.

peace

beli said:
I cannot imagine what it would be like to witness a brother die in such a circumstance. Horrendous.

I noticed the gunmans name has been released. Im not going to type it out. But I actually feel for his family too. They have lost a son and would most likely be receiving a lot of anger and hate from the local community as well. Thats got to be difficult too.

Its all awful.

peace

exactly, that's why I put down the four pople....They are probably going trough hell right now....

Seabird said:
I knew a young guy, friend of the family, who loved Pantera and got murdered too (stabbed, not shot) He was buried in his Pantera tshirt. Dimebag was his hero. I hope they are jamming together tonight.:sad:

OMG...:sad:

For the sake of your friend I hope so too...

Like I said earlier in the thread today, I met D.D this year at a Damageplan gig, and he was so nice. Had time for each of the fans. I even asked about a possible Pantera reunion, and he didnt bite my head off like I thought he would!:wink:

It's awful. In 2002 I met the then singer of Drowning Pool...and he commited suicide a month later.
I know it's not the same thing, but it's just got me thinking of that occasion.:(

Pantera Guitarist killed

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

I don't like Damage Plan or Pantera. That being said, I think that this is such a tragedy. I wish everyone involved my condolences. It's such a crazy world that we live in. I hate to say, but I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often. Everytime I go to a sporting event or a concert and see all of these different types of people, I start to wonder if one of them could be capable of such an attack. Things seem to be getting more and more out of hand during public events. We have basketball players fighting fans in the stands, and now we have lunatics shooting their former favorite musicians. It's a sick world. R.I.P. to Dimebag and the rest. I'm just so disgusted I don't know what else to say...............................

Aardvark747 said:
Like I said earlier in the thread today, I met D.D this year at a Damageplan gig, and he was so nice. Had time for each of the fans. I even asked about a possible Pantera reunion, and he didnt bite my head off like I thought he would!:wink:

All right, I'm sorry but now I need to know what he said about a Pantera reunion (which I guess now will really never happen)?

U2Kitten said:
Yeah, have you seen the movie? Mick had been getting death threats, and was scared of being killed on stage. This happened at the Altamont Speedway concert in SF on Dec. 6, 1969 (I was one day old) The Stones made a mistake in hiring the Hell's Angels as security :tsk: During one fight, they knocked out Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin! Later in the show, when the Stones were on the stage, there was a fight in the crowd. One of the Hell's Angels had a problem that a black guy in the crowd had a white girlfriend, and harrassed him. Intimidated, he pulled a gun. Someone said Mick saw the gun and freaked out, thinking the guy was going to shoot him. The bikers attacked and killed the guy. It was a terrible part of rock history, and some said it spoiled the good feelings left by Woodstock a few months before.

I haven't seen the movie, no-I just didn't know that he's had to deal with this crap, too (although it shouldn't be too surprising, 'cause it seems every celebrity is at risk nowadays). That's scary. I just don't understand why people out there insist on being such creeps and doing this kind of crap.

Also, :hug:s to Seabird-sorry to hear that about the friend. I hope they're meeting each other now, too. And I have to agree with beli...I do extend condolances to the gunman's family, too. I can't imagine the kind of crap they're going through right now...

Angela

TheBrazilianFly said:

All right, I'm sorry but now I need to know what he said about a Pantera reunion (which I guess now will really never happen)?

He actually said - " When the time's right, and everyone's worked out their differences, you'll see some fuckin action"!:wink: :sad:
I didnt press any further than that! He said it in a nice way tho. He wasnt pissed that id asked the question that he'd probably been asked ten times that week already!

I've just got in from work, and I gotta say, I'm genuinely f*cking shocked by this, and got a lump in my throat, and a sickening feeling in my stomach. I just hope he went quick.

Pantera were without doubt, THE premiere metal band of the nineties - I can't tell ya how many times my friends and I travelled far and wide to see these guys and party.

We got lucky one nite back in '92, and hung out with the band after a gig in Newport (except Phil who by this point wasn't the most approachable guy ever, and was the only one who wouldn't sign autos...) but Dime and Vinnie - even Rex were genuinely nice guys, and Dime signed my CD:
Dimebag.jpg

We had a blast, and it's a night that has been talked about with a lot of laughter and smiles many times since and one that'll stay with me forever.

This truly bloody sucks. Metal's lost probably THE best shred-riffing monster gutiarist of my generation.

Rest in peace Dime dude, and thanks for the good times. I'll light one up 4 ya.
:(

UPDATE:
Police in Columbus have released the name of the gunman who went on a shooting rampage last night, Wednesday December 8, at a Damageplan gig killing at least four people - including guitarist Dimebag Darrel - before a police officer shot him dead.

Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, reportedly jumped the stage and opened fire.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, while the band were playing the first song of their set. A man, who was reportedly wearing a hockey jersey and hooded sweatshirt, began firing at point-blank range at least four times at guitarist Dimebag Darrell.

The former Pantera member - real name Darrell Abbott - was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have also released the names of two others who died. They were Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, both audience members.

Reports are suggesting that none of the other DAMAGEPLAN band members were hurt in the incident. This, however, has not been confirmed by police officers or the band's record label as yet.

Web site www.blabbermouth.net is also reporting that several people who have spoken with Dimebag's former PANTERA bandmate Phil Anselmo are claiming that the singer is said to be "devastated" by the news of Dimebag's murder. Anselmo and Dimebag had exchanged bitter words in the aftermath of Pantera's split.

Amateur video was apparently taken from inside the Alrosa Villa club and investigators are currently examining the tape to see if they could determine the events that led to the shootings.
(Kerrang.com)

Tributes From Metal Musicians Pour In For DIMEBAG DARRELL - Dec. 9, 2004
A number of heavy metal musicians have paid tribute to Dimebag Darrell (DAMAGEPLAN, ex-PANTERA) who was tragically murdered last night.

SLIPKNOT's Corey Taylor: "He could take a riff that would take somebody a year to master and he could rip it off in seconds. He made everything look like he was playing 'Smoke on the Water' with one finger.

"He was one of the coolest people I've ever met. The guy just loved to laugh and he loved to make you laugh. And he loved to make you do something that you would never do in a million years. He was a guy that lived in the moment. His philosophy was, 'Let's do something that is gonna make us remember tonight for the rest of our lives.' And that's something I'm gonna fucking miss for the rest of mine."

ANTHRAX's Scott Ian: "After Eddie Van Halen, you had Dimebag Darrell. He was the next guy that came along and did something as original and important on guitar.

"He's the type of guy that would do anything for his friends. He really did put his family and his friends first, and for him everyone was his family. Once you came into contact with Dimebag and became friends with that guy, it was a sacred bond. Once you shared drinks with that guy, you became a part of his extended family."

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine: "There is nothing unique or clever to this post, and what I want to say has no doubt already been said throughout the metal community, by countless others whom were more closer to Darrell than me by now.

"However, knowing he was murdered tonight, I wish to thank and remember Darrell for his amazing life and the gift that he shared with me and so many other fortunates.

"I pray for Darrell's family and friends; specifically for their healing, their peace, and their understanding of this tragedy in this time of need.

"I send my deepest heartfelt condolences to the Abbott family, to Darrell's friends, and to the fantastic PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN fans around the world.

"We must never forget his life, and his gifts, his genius, his terrific personallity, and the legacy he left behind to remember him by.

"Darrell, I will see you in heaven and I, like so many more, love you brother.

"You will be missed."

Tim "Ripper" Owens (ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH): "Hey, wanted to say that Dime was a great guy and amazing guitarist! He will really be missed! He made me laugh when he would see me backstage and sing out 'Ripper' in a high note with some melody he had made up! He and his brother always gave me respect. I knew how much of a fan he was of JUDAS PRIEST and Rob [Halford], so the respect meant a lot! And all the rumors about him and I working together where the best rumors I'd ever heard about me! I always wanted to work with Darrell and was always waiting for that phone call! Dimebag, we love ya bro and you will be missed!"

CHIMAIRA's Mark Hunter: "Dime's music gave me so much to live for when I was younger, and he truly changed the face of metal with his unique style of guitar playing. There isn't a metal band I know that hasn't borrowed a riff or three from him."

Rob "Blasko" Nicholson (ex-ROB ZOMBIE/OZZY OSBOURNE): "I'm speechless. This is totally unreal. Dimebag is a fucking legend and this is total bullshit."

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE's Howard Jones: "This is insane and this is beyond travesty. This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend."

MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist Nikki Sixx offered the following: "Dime, I will never forget all the times you made us laugh. I'm so happy we got to spend the day together in London recently… We should all live our lives as full as you have. I will miss you, as will all of us... This is a sad day."

Rich Ward (FOZZY, STUCK MOJO): "Darrell was as nice as they come. During the times that I spent with him, I wondered why he played in such a heavy band. Not that he didn't have the ability to school all of us that dared to share a stage with him, but because he seemed like such a gentle and kind man. He had a great sense of humor and was someone that everyone in the room gravitated toward. He never carried himself like the big rock star that he really was, instead he came across humble and appreciative. I consider it a privilege to have known him, as he was one of the 'real' guys in the business and as Zakk [Wylde] would say, 'one of the boys'!"

Shaun Glass (SOIL): "Today I am saddened to say I lost my friend and hero it sickens me that someone would take away a person that brought so much joy to so many people. Love ya, Double D."

SEPULTURA: "Dimebag was an excellent musician and a good friend, a fucking great partner in memorable tours. We'll miss him very much. Our condolences to the Abbott family."

MACHINE HEAD: "MACHINE HEAD are devastated by the horrific news. Our deepest sympathy and condolences to the Abbott family, DAMAGEPLAN and former members of PANTERA. Our thoughts are with you all."

Jon Dette (ex-SLAYER, TESTAMENT): "My brother just called to tell me that Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed on stage tonight. Words cannot express the sadness I'm feeling right now and my condolences go out to Vinnie Paul and the Abbott family for their loss. This is a huge tragedy for the music world."

Orange County, California-based sextet BLEED THE SKY (recently signed to Nuclear Blast Records): "It's a sad day in heavy metal, Dimebag Darrell formerly of PANTERA, was shot and killed while performing with DAMAGEPLAN in Ohio. We would more than likely not be a band if it wasn't for him, and can't possibly imagine the pain that his brother and his family must be in. RIP, brother, heavy music will never be the same without you."

TRIVIUM's Matt Heafy: "There's nothing that hasn't already been said or felt about this recent tragedy regarding Dimebag Darrell. All I can say is that Dimebag was one of the most influential musicians in our time. Legends aren't something we can pick and choose and they aren't here in vast numbers — Dime was a man who helped inspire countless numbers of players, fans, and people in general, a legend who really made the world seem that much better. Everyone I know who has met Dime says he was really nothing short of one of the nicest people they'd ever met, that he was a humble fun-loving metal head. But now Dimebag Darrell: a son, a brother, an idol, a musician, a fellow man... has been taken from us. It's a terrifying feeling that now at concerts, our very release from the everyday world we each seek out to escape from, our heroes are being murdered. My heart goes out to the Abbott family: Dimebag Darrell Abbott was a man of legendary and heroic status, but before all that Darrell was and always will be a brother and a son; we all mourn today."

QUIET RIOT's Frankie Banali: "This is so wrong. Darrel was one of the nicest people in music and a great guitarist. He was always great to me each time we saw each other, as was Vinnie. Such a waste and so disturbing. My thoughts and prayers are with Darrel and my sincerest sympathy to Darrel's family, loved ones and all of his fans and the fans of PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN. No one deserves a violent death, and certainly not Darrel. God bless him."

(www.blabbermouth.net)

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:

He actually said - " When the time's right, and everyone's worked out their differences, you'll see some fuckin action"!:wink: :sad:
I didnt press any further than that! He said it in a nice way tho. He wasnt pissed that id asked the question that he'd probably been asked ten times that week already!

That makes it all even sadder! :(

And I had heard other stories of people that met him saying that he was a very sweet and cool guy and very down to earth. :sad:

Lars Ulrich's message:

RIP DARRELL
12/9/2004

This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.

In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars

That's fucking class if you ask me! :up:

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=5623

God it angers me beyond words that people do this kind of thing.

As a fan of Pantera I honestly thought they were mistaken, but it does show that even though there are warnings about not taking music to seriously some people just have real issues but that doesnt mean they should go out and do something like kill another human being.

The fact that someone kills someone else over a band breaking up thats pure BS! and the fact its the anniversery of Lennons shooting really makes it hurt more.

i don't have the patience or time to read this entire thread...

i never liked pantera, and i never will enjoy their music. just not my thing.

but it's extremly fucked up that this happened, and it really makes me hate people even more than i already do.

RIP

This news ruined my day. What an awful thing. I can't even describe the feelings I had over this today. A part of my youth was murdered last night. Growing up in my house my sister and I shared the downstairs. One side was blasting with Kiss (me) and the other side was Pantera (my sister). It was a battle of the bands every single day to see who could play their music louder. Though I never listened to Pantera myself I heard their music loud and clear everyday.

My sister cried all day at work today. :sad: She cried even more harder when I told her that it was the anniversary of John Lennon's murder.

RIP Dime. Thanks for the memories.

Back
Top Bottom