MERGED--> Heath Ledger Found Dead?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
I think it would be a nice gesture if a dedication - something like "Dedicated To The Memory Of Heath Ledger" - was put somewhere in the opening or closing credits of TDK.

I'm pretty sure you can bet the farm on that happening.

Considering how Ledger's section of I'm Not There is the most (maybe only) emotionally effective part of the film, I imaging I'm going to have a hard time watching it again, which I know I will, as it's my favorite of the year.

Another viewing of Brokeback ain't gonna be easy, either.

And don't even start with Monster's Ball. Anyone who has seen it will know how chillingly real that will seem now.

I know Ledger's filmography isn't very long or storied, as he's only been in about 10 major films since breaking out. But for my money, I'd take him over Depp, Norton, Bale, and a host of other good actors who could never in a million years touch the raw emotional truth of a character like Ennis Del Mar. There was just this spark that you knew was going to lead him to a career of distinctive, eclectic choices and a collection of really searing performances.

2008 SUCKS.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

I feel the Cobain effect is strong in this case. He will become even more of a legend than he would have otherwise because of this.

i agree.

what i think is going to happen is the realization that this was someone who was well on his way to realizing his talent. he started out pretty, and i thought "the patriot" was kind of an abomination (and he was just adequate), but there's no question that he grew as an actor. he was great in "monster's ball," and he was nothing short of astonishing in "brokeback," and that particular performance will now probably take on legendary status. it a genuinely great, genuinely haunting, (in my opinion, i would have given him the Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote") and what's remarkable is how his deep baritone voice is able to communicate an incredibly complex universe of emotion through the very limited vocabulary of Ennis Del Mar.

he will be missed. and the tragedy for us -- we didn't know him, so it's not like this can be felt on a personal level -- is that we've missed out on what may well have become a truly great body of work.

William Hurt once said that he hoped, through acting, to "disseminate the experience of empathy."

with Ennis Del Mar, there's no question that Heath Ledger did just that. "brokeback" is an absolutely invaluable text in the ongoing narrative of gay individuals, it's already canonized, and that, for me, is how i will remember Heath Ledger. he made people believe that a handsome, masculine cowboy could fall deeply in love with another man, and then he broke our hearts. he made us walk in Ennis' shoes, breathe with his lungs, and feel his beating heart in our chests. and that is what great art does -- it transports us to another viewpoint, and makes someone else's reality our own for a few fleeting moments.

here's what one critic had to say:

[q]The movie tells us that when pure, strong love gets tamped down and extinguished like a cigarette butt crushed under a boot heel, the result is as immoral and deadly as getting shot in the back. Jack and Ennis are doubly cursed. They can’t be together, and they can’t abide by the code of honor to which men in Westerns aspire, because that code doesn’t allow for these particular emotions. If I’m making it sound as though Brokeback Mountain is a downer, it’s actually a serious piece of art in which great joy can be taken in witnessing the small-miracle performances of Ledger (so eloquent in his mute despair) and Gyllenhaal (so meticulously agonized by his daily compromises). Ang Lee conveys maddening delirium rendered in the way one man’s eyes gaze at another’s, and then look away, and the looking-away amounts to the murder of two souls as surely as if they’d drawn guns and hit each other in the heart.
[/q]

so, with that, all i can say is thank you, Mr. Ledger, and good bye.

U2democrat said:
I was innocently watching CNN as they showed him being taken out...it was surreal and I really wish I hadn't seen that............

I came across it on the internet. Was quite disturbed that they would actually show the film. Found it to be in rather poor taste. Know if I were a friend of Heath's or a family member I would be distraught to see that on nationwide tv.

Irvine :hug:

corianderstem said:
I didn't. Someone clue me in?

Last scene of Brokeback Mountain. Ennis Del Mar's daughter has left, and Ennis is alone in his trailer. He takes Jack's shirt out of the closet, smells it, and has perhaps the most heart-wrenchingly subtle sadness about him. He then utters "Jack, I swear. . ." before walking out of the frame.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

this sucks, he was such a talented young actor... when I saw this on the new I was shocked...

my Ennis del Mar :sad:

Acrobat Angel said:
Seven News here in Australia has reported that his family found out about his death through the media. I really do hope that is not true :(

I just watched the news here in NZ....they were speaking to a member of his family on their front lawn. They heard it over the radio this morning - before any authorities had the chance to tell them personally. That is absolutely horrific and unforgivable of the media. :tsk: That poor family.

3 of my friends have rung me this morning crying! Wow! I don't know why we are all so fucked up by this! He has touched so many lives. Such an intersting and magnificent actor, and seemed like such a genuine guy... I'm really upset by this.... Its just so tragic. What a waste of life. He was only 28, with his young daughter, and such a brilliant career before him....God....this is just horrible. And the poor family. I can't imagine finding out through the media. Man! This has been messing me up all day...

Back
Top Bottom