MERGED--> Heath Ledger Found Dead?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dark Knight Director On Ledger's Death
Posted by Ashish on 01.28.2008

Christopher Nolan article on Ledger's death...

The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan posted the following article about the death of Heath Ledger on darkknightblog.com.

One night, as I'm standing on LaSalle Street in Chicago, trying to line up a shot for "The Dark Knight," a production assistant skateboards into my line of sight. Silently, I curse the moment that Heath first skated onto our set in full character makeup. I'd fretted about the reaction of Batman fans to a skateboarding Joker, but the actual result was a proliferation of skateboards among the younger crew members. If you'd asked those kids why they had chosen to bring their boards to work, they would have answered honestly that they didn't know. That's real charisma—as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had.

Heath was bursting with creativity. It was in his every gesture. He once told me that he liked to wait between jobs until he was creatively hungry. Until he needed it again. He brought that attitude to our set every day. There aren't many actors who can make you feel ashamed of how often you complain about doing the best job in the world. Heath was one of them.

One time he and another actor were shooting a complex scene. We had two days to shoot it, and at the end of the first day, they'd really found something and Heath was worried that he might not have it if we stopped. He wanted to carry on and finish. It's tough to ask the crew to work late when we all know there's plenty of time to finish the next day. But everyone seemed to understand that Heath had something special and that we had to capture it before it disappeared. Months later, I learned that as Heath left the set that night, he quietly thanked each crew member for working late. Quietly. Not trying to make a point, just grateful for the chance to create that they'd given him.

Those nights on the streets of Chicago were filled with stunts. These can be boring times for an actor, but Heath was fascinated, eagerly accepting our invitation to ride in the camera car as we chased vehicles through movie traffic—not just for the thrill ride, but to be a part of it. Of everything. He'd brought his laptop along in the car, and we had a high-speed screening of two of his works-in-progress: short films he'd made that were exciting and haunting. Their exuberance made me feel jaded and leaden. I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents. That night I made him an offer—knowing he wouldn't take me up on it—that he should feel free to come by the set when he had a night off so he could see what we were up to.

When you get into the edit suite after shooting a movie, you feel a responsibility to an actor who has trusted you, and Heath gave us everything. As we started my cut, I would wonder about each take we chose, each trim we made. I would visualize the screening where we'd have to show him the finished film—sitting three or four rows behind him, watching the movements of his head for clues to what he was thinking about what we'd done with all that he'd given us. Now that screening will never be real. I see him every day in my edit suite. I study his face, his voice. And I miss him terribly.

Back on LaSalle Street, I turn to my assistant director and I tell him to clear the skateboarding kid out of my line of sight when I realize—it's Heath, woolly hat pulled low over his eyes, here on his night off to take me up on my offer. I can't help but smile.

the bold is the part I found best... great article of Chris Nolan...

damn, Heath... :(

:down:

John Gibson should lose his platform

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK

The Fox News talk-show host mocked Heath Ledger's death on his radio show. That's unacceptable, and he should be shunned.

By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 26, 2008

Why exactly is John Gibson still on the air?

Three days ago, the Fox News talk-show host opened his radio show with hate-filled, and prepared, mockery of actor Heath Ledger's death. Auditory clips of Ledger's most famous film, "Brokeback Mountain," played with a background of funeral music, ending with his character's lover, Jack Twist, saying, "I wish I knew how to quit you."

"Well, he found out how to quit you," Gibson chortled before launching into a show that repeatedly referenced the 28-year-old actor's death as if it were some sort of joke. Among other things, Gibson suggested, laughing the whole time, that the actor had killed himself because of the stock market downturn, the stalled John Edwards campaign or because he was just a "weirdo" with "a serious drug problem."

Never mind that the cause of death has yet to be established. Never mind that even if it were a drug overdose or a suicide, it would still be a tragedy, and not because he was a movie star but because he was a 28-year-old human being.

After the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and other groups denounced Gibson's behavior, he at first defended it as a joke, explaining that he had long made fun of the "quit you" line and wasn't about to stop now. Then Thursday, clearly responding to increased pressure, he issued a statement during Fox News' "The Big Story With John Gibson and Heather Nauert," saying he was sorry if some people were offended by his remarks and also that he was sorry Ledger had died.

If this reminds you of another radio personality's recent tour through the early stages of (at least temporary) career death -- denial, anger, bargaining -- there's good reason. Don Imus lost his show as a result of a similar "joke" -- a racist reference to the Rutgers women's basketball team -- and there is no good reason why Gibson's fate should not be similar.

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of Gibson's remarks was their premeditation. The opening had been scripted. Then he enjoyed his ghastly jaunt so much he could not let it drop. The Imus excuse -- that he made a regrettable off-the-cuff comment -- does not even apply, actually. Gibson's defense -- I have been making fun of gays for years, why should I stop just because someone died? -- is truly chilling, while his "I'm sorry if some of you found my remarks offensive" is a classic non-apology.

Yes, there are many things occupying our minds these days -- the economy, the presidential race, the writers strike, the weather -- but this is one of those moments, folks, when we, the television and radio audience, need to take a moment and consider where we stand.

Because it's easy to say to yourself, "Well, what else do you expect from these ridiculous 'schlock jocks'? They seem to go out of their way to prove they're idiots."

When my editor asked if I wanted to write something about Gibson, my first reaction was, "Why give the guy more attention than he deserves?" But that's a cop-out, and one that has been used over the years to excuse or ignore invective leveled at many, including the Irish and African Americans, as well as Jews and women.

That Gibson would choose the event of a young man's death -- a young heterosexual man, it must be said -- to exercise his "right" to homophobia is not just a matter of taste, it's an issue of policy. What is Fox News' policy about the language of hate? And more important, what is our policy?

mary.mcnamara@latimes.com

John Gibson is garbage, not worth even considering his "humor". Arrogant loser. I do agree with Mary McNamara though, how can Fox employ someone who is that ignorant and hateful and insensitive? Maybe I just answered my own question...

He had issues with Brokeback Mountain- maybe he's a homophobe or something, who knows.

MrsSpringsteen said:
John Gibson is garbage, not worth even considering his "humor". Arrogant loser. I do agree with Mary McNamara though, how can Fox employ someone who is that ignorant and hateful and insensitive? Maybe I just answered my own question...

He had issues with Brokeback Mountain- maybe he's a homophobe or something, who knows.
If he works for FoxNews, he's almost definitely a homophobe. I'm so glad I don't get Fox News; I'd be screaming at the TV all day! I was so glad when my local cable provider stopped providing CNN Headline News and MSNBC, so I could stop wasting my time getting angry at Glenn Beck and Donnie Deutsch.

Heath Ledger was tired and emotional before his shocking Jan. 22 death, Deepak Chopra tells PEOPLE.

"He was a little depressed about not having seen his daughter," explained the The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success author, who was with their mutual friend Shekhar Kapur – Ledger's director in the 2002's The Four Feathers – when he spoke to the actor the day before he died. "It was like, 'I'm missing my girl. ... ' He hadn't seen [two-year-old Matilda] over the holidays, he mentioned that."

The 28-year-old Ledger, who was in the midst of shooting The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, also admitted he was having trouble sleeping. "He's a very, very ambitious actor and hard-working guy," said Chopra. "He was still high from the experience [of filming in London] and he hadn't come down ... He was exhausted."

But the actor was still excitedly making plans – agreeing to meet Chopra and Kapur for dinner the following day. The doctor even tried to schedule a massage for Ledger at New York's Chopra Center on that fateful day. But by the time the appointment was confirmed, the actor had already made plans to get a rubdown at his apartment.

When Ledger's body was found in his Manhattan apartment, Chopra heard about it via text message – leaving him to break the news to Kapur. "I had to sit him down and say, 'I'm sorry to tell you this, but we're not going to be having dinner with Heath. He's dead.' " said Chopra. "Shekhar is totally devastated." (The director, who called Ledger "brother," later described the actor as the "most gentle, the most honest, most caring" person.)

Chopra recalled Ledger as a doting dad with a spiritual side. "[Heath] was always questioning about the meaning of existence," he said. "He'd always bring up existential dilemmas and conundrums ... Is there a higher consciousness? What's the meaning of existence?"

That's why, in the end, the best-selling author thinks it's unlikely Ledger could have taken his own life. (The initial autopsy was inconclusive on "cause of death and manner of death;" toxicology results are still pending.)

"He was connected to life and joy," said Chopra. "Joy is the word."

I'm afraid that Chopra is probably correct and yes, it is so sad. It's not a suicide, it was a sad mistake and Heath's over tired, over stressed, jet lagged, anxiety-filled system plus any anti anxiety and sleep inducing medications overtook him. I STILL don't understand why it took that masseusse so long to call 911. AND...what's the connection to Olsen? :hmm:

Supposedly Heath and Mary Kate had a romantic relationship of some sort, that is what is reported by some people. Who knows?

One thing is perfectly clear, that he loved his daughter very much and was a devoted Dad.

Hopefully they will get a lot of shit for doing this, but unfortunately the public will probably just eat it up and not question the ethics of this kind of journalism.

In a perfect world, people would storm the studios and burn that motherfucker down to the ground, and tar and feather the scumbags who produce and appear on these shows.

I am glad to see I am not the only one truly sickened by the media frenzy heating up about this. Have you noticed how many networks blast these tabloid crap shows? It's dog eat dog to report the latest and greatest and to continue repeating and re-running it.

Speaking of Anna Nicole...there was so much mention tonite of the inquest underway about Daniel's death.

That's so disgusting, the cause of his death isn't even known yet but they feasting on his corpse so to speak. No standards whatsoever. I refuse to watch that video.

^ So glad to read this. It was the right thing to do.
I know it is all about ratings, but it is still upsetting that ET paid for this video.

I just read about that. Glad they decided against showing it, and that enough people must have spoken up about how outrageous this would have been :up:

Dropped it out of compassion? No way. More likely enough agents/publicists/celebrities threatened them. ET still relies on some degree of respectability - in comparison to some of the other flat out tabloid shows/website/publications. They need their genuine exclusives and access. Would only take, say, Ledgers publicists to say that none of their other clients will ever cooperate with them ever again, and it's forced off.

U2Girl1978 said:
I used to think Entertainment Tonight was great back in the day now they are just disgusting.

Yes, remember when that show used to be just about movies and music year and years ago?

I remember watching it when I was a kid and they didn't have this garbage on. They used to do stories about movie making and they had Leonard Maltin on.

Now it's junk like this and the anorexic twins. :yuck:

Hollywood Defends Ledger in Video Quash
By DAVID BAUDER,AP
Posted: 2008-01-31 17:45:19
NEW YORK (AP) - It was a striking example of Hollywood protecting its own: After an aggressive lobby from powerful film industry figures, "Entertainment Tonight" decided against airing a video that shows the late Heath Ledger hanging out at a party where drugs were being taken.

The show said it pulled the story "out of respect for Heath Ledger's family." But don't discount the effect of a lightning-fast campaign launched by a public relations firm that represents many of the stars "Entertainment Tonight" depends upon for stories.

Even some celebrities themselves - Natalie Portman and Sarah Jessica Parker, to name a couple - called to urge "ET" to pull the plug.

Ledger, 28, died in his Manhattan apartment Jan. 22. Authorities suspect a possible drug overdose, but the cause of his death is still pending the outcome of toxicology tests. Police said several prescription drugs - but nothing illegal - were found in the Manhattan apartment where the "Brokeback Mountain" actor's body was found.

"Entertainment Tonight" is hardly the lone news organization to broach the topic of potential drug abuse by the star. But the video it acquired, reportedly taken two years ago at a party at the Chateau Marmont Hotel, drew the fiercest attention.

The syndicated magazine's sister show, "The Insider," aired a "preview" of the story that it had planned to run Thursday that actually showed several segments of the video. Following the protest, "The Insider" yanked the segment from the West Coast version of its telecast.

Ledger is seen standing in the doorway of a room where the party was taking place, swigging from a beer bottle. The actor is heard saying that he was "going to get serious (word bleeped) from my girlfriend" for being at the party.

The show made clear that there was nothing on the video showing Ledger taking any drug. At one point, however, the then-26-year-old said he "used to smoke five joints a day."

But a person who has seen the entire video, who asked not to be identified because of its sensitive nature, said Ledger then points to his tattoo of "M" (for his daughter, Matilda Rose) and says, "this is to remind me never to smoke weed again." That part of the quote was not used in Wednesday's preview.

Later, with Ledger in the background, an unidentified man, his face blurred, seems to snort cocaine from a table.

After seeing a promotion for the show Wednesday, a publicist at ID, Ledger's public relations firm, called "Entertainment Tonight" and asked that the segment be pulled. The request was refused.

ID then composed a three-paragraph protest letter that it distributed to some 30 other public relations firms around Hollywood, asking them to tell their clients about what was about to happen. The circle included powerhouse publicists like PMK-HBH, 42 West and BWR.

The letter said "ET" had paid a large sum of money for the video to stir up an exploitive story about Ledger.

"For the sake of his grieving family and friends, his child and common decency, we hope to pressure `Entertainment Tonight' and `The Insider' to do the right thing and pull the spot," the letter said. "This is not journalism, it is sensationalism. It is a shameful exploitation of the lowest kind, to a talented and gentle soul, undeserving of such treatment."

Stars, studio executives and PR firms all called "ET" to register protests, said Kelly Bush, CEO of ID. The star-studded roster of Bush's firm alone includes Robin Williams, Sean Penn, Tobey Maguire, Mike Myers, Jennifer Hudson, Katie Holmes, Ellen DeGeneres, and Ledger's "Brokeback" co-star Jake Gyllenhaal.

Bush said the response was unlike anything she'd ever seen.

"I hope it represents a turning point," she said. "I think we have all heard from members of the media and members of the public that it's too much. Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are the top news stories when Darfur should be."

No boycott was threatened, she said. But when a television show that needs celebrities like living things need oxygen hears from so many powerful sources, a threat probably wasn't necessary.

Not a spoken one, anyway.

"We need them as much as they need us," Bush said. She wouldn't speculate on what made "Entertainment Tonight" change its mind, but said "they've probably never gotten this much heat before over anything."

Executives at "Entertainment Tonight" refused to talk publicly about the retreat. There was some bewilderment and anger at the company about why its show was singled out when many other publications and TV outlets were talking about the same thing. The party video is likely to be seen soon in England, and is already available over the Internet.

But "ET" can't complain about getting nothing for its money. Even though it was called a "preview," "The Insider" already aired a significant story with salient portions of the video, while maintaining the appearance of having taken the high road in the end.

Drew Pinsky, star of VH1's "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew," backed "Entertainment Tonight." He saw the video and was quoted by the show, calling it "heartbreaking."

"When a 28-year-old seemingly healthy man, whom we love and respect, dies suddenly, there is a reason," Pinsky said. "His death plays upon our deepest fears. We owe it to the public to try to answer the question why. I am convinced that if this heart-wrenching video had aired, it would have gotten through and had a positive effect on young people in America. Perhaps it could have even saved some lives."

Also unanswered are questions about how much the Hollywood friends who jumped to Ledger's defense this week knew about any drug use while he was alive, and what they had done to help him. Few of the people close to Ledger have come forth with statements since his death, and those who have chose not to broach the topic of any possible drug use.

One notable exception was Lee Daniels, who produced "Monster's Ball," in which Ledger starred.

"The definition of substance abuse is really up to one's perspective," Daniels told The Associated Press last week. "I didn't see him as a drug addict. I saw him as someone who enjoyed life. I know drug addicts; he was not a drug addict."

They didn't drop it out of any compassion, they were merely afraid of celebrities refusing to be involved with their show and of bad PR. Remember this is the same show that befriended, and perhaps paid, Howard K Stern and showed his video of Anna Nicole Smith drugged out and wearing clown makeup.

That Dr. Drew guy is full of crap, they didn't want to show that video to help young people or save any lives.

Back
Top Bottom