MERGED-->Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Ok, who is seeing HP and the Goblet of Fire?

I haven't yet, but it's on my list!

Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:30 PM
I hope to see it within the next few weeks! I can't wait! This one looks really good.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:30 PM
I'm seeing it on Saturday
Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Tonight baby! I can't concentrate at work.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:30 PM
I want to see it, but want to try and see it when it's not completely packed. May have to wait a week or two.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:30 PM
class 'til 2
Walk the Line @ 4
Harry Potter @ 7

Old 11-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
class 'til 2
Walk the Line @ 4
Harry Potter @ 7

Rat Bastard! I am going to try to see Walk the Line on Sunday. Otherwise I may have to wait a couple weeks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I want to see it, but want to try and see it when it's not completely packed. May have to wait a week or two.
I just want to give a valid reason why I think you should see it when it is completely packed. When you see it opening day, there are a lot of die-hards there who shut the fuck up once the movie starts because it is the greatest thing to them. If you see it after a couple weeks, the non-fans start coming in and that seems to be when I get the older couple that talks too loudly the whole time or snot-nosed tweens who don't really care about the movie.

Plus, there is an excitement in the air opening day that you can feel.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:00 PM
It's received great reviews from this side of the world in Canada.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:30 AM
I saw it this afternoon. It's really cool

but I think it's a shame it had to be edited down to film-length, as a hell a lot of story has been lost. I think people who haven't read the book will be missing a lot of stuff.

But it's a good film . Not as good as Askabhan or however you spell it, but it's good.

:clap:
Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

I just want to give a valid reason why I think you should see it when it is completely packed. When you see it opening day, there are a lot of die-hards there who shut the fuck up once the movie starts because it is the greatest thing to them. If you see it after a couple weeks, the non-fans start coming in and that seems to be when I get the older couple that talks too loudly the whole time or snot-nosed tweens who don't really care about the movie.

Plus, there is an excitement in the air opening day that you can feel.
I love being a part of a die-hard audience for something I'm really into. I'm not all that into Harry Potter, although I enjoy the books and have so far enjoyed the movies.

I want to go when it's less crowded because I don't like crowds these days ... unless there's a U2 concert involved.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #12
The Fly

GOF is my favorite of the Potter books (from 1- 4, have yet to read 5 and 6) - I'm expecting it to vary from the novel. I have a very open mind when it comes to these things. My friends, who also read the books, take it far too literally and get all bent out of shape when a scene from the book is not in the movie or blah blah. I take it for what it is and enjoy it. Is that so wrong?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:30 AM
I think that to include any more story from the book would have meant that the film was far too long. What they've had to do is show snapshots of each story element in order to keep the important bits that progress the story along. It works well, but it's a pity it had to happen.

eg the whole barty crouch storyline is really bare bones, with certain aspects completely changed, and the quidditch world cup is totally skated over, with no actual quidditch shown
Old 11-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #14
The Fly

I remember when there was talk of making GOF a 2-parter. I don't think the general public would have accepted that. It's best to keep each installment, whenever possible, as one and ONLY one movie.

The things mentioned as being omitted in GOF don't concern me - as long as the essence of the story and characters are there, then I'm sure I'll like it.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I just got back from seeing the movie and I am very disappointed. Now, I realize that the book was always going to be tough to make into a movie, but they absolutely shredded the book. I don't care about the change in the story line or the subtle switches of roles, but Mike Newall missed the ENTIRE point of the the book.

The movie is too fast and too dark.

The simple beauty of the 4th Potter book is in how methodical and loving Rowling is in letting us into the magical world. She dwells on small details of the Burrow; she takes us on a tour through the Quiddich World Cup; she patiently builds the characters of minor characters like the Weasley twins and Neville - all to the great affect of letting us the audience begin to love their world. The movie does not do that. Of course, it doesn't have time to linger on all of the small details as a book can, but it can linger ... a bit. The set of the movie is FANTASTIC, but shot after shot is fast paced and blurring. It leaves the movie feeling cold. In the book, the rift between Harry and Ron is painful because we see the effects of darkness on a friendship we care about; in the movie its a trite side story. In the book, the dark mark at the Quiddich World Cup is a dramatic and terrible switch from the carnival of wonder and excitement that directly proceeds it; in the movie you are rushed through the fun and wonder and are made to dwell longer on the dark magic.

That is the second point that disappoints me about the movie. The Goblet of Fire is first and foremost about the great tragedy of lost innocence. By spending so much time building and inviting us into a world that we love, Rowling masterfully describes what it is like when darkness is polutes. The book is not about the return of Voldermort, it is about the shame that evil exists and the saddness that brings to us all. The movie is dark through-out. Their is a palpable fear (strangely and incongruously from Dumbledore himself) that evil is present and good will not be able to stand up to it; in the book the reality that evil has returned is more of a burden that puts a ceiling on joy; the movie quashes that joy in all but a few moments of levity (the Eule Ball).

What the hell am I talking about? Sorry for the rant.

I love the book because it is one of the best stories I have read describing the pain of lost innocence and the real effect of evil. The movie simply did not portray that. The movie was about the action (yes!) and the growing darkness, but it missed out on everything that we love about that nonmuggle world.

Ok - I'm going to the bar.