MERGED-->Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beau2ifulday said:
All I feel is that it needed alot more Lucius Malfoy in it.

lucius.jpg

:love:

I am VERY excited to see #4 because of Lucius. :drool: :wink:

I secretly root for him in the books...

Just got back from seeing it. While I read the books as soon as they come out, I rarely remember most of what happens, so the movies are usually a fresh experience for me.

I liked it a lot. It was pretty jam-packed and a bit rush, but jeez, the books only get longer from here on out. What's the next flick going to be like, pace-wise?

The actor who played Cedric reminded me of Christian Bale, so yum to that. And I was disturbed at how attractive I found Draco.

So yeah. What did I take away from the movie? Inappropriate hotness of young men. :yikes:

corianderstem said:

So yeah. What did I take away from the movie? Inappropriate hotness of young men. :yikes:

You took away inappropriate hotness of young men, I took away inappropriate hotness of older men.

Now if we could swap this inappropriateness around, we'd be sorted.

Just saw it today...

I noticed the inappropriate hotness of young men too. Then I felt like a bad person. Then I noticed it again... et cetera.... :reject:

I also noticed there were a lot of very young children there. Like, in the 3-4 years age range. After reading the book (and seeing the PG-13 rating) I would NEVER take my children to see that in the theater, and doubly so now that I've actually seen it myself. Talk about nightmares.

I thought it was a bit rushed, but understandably so. Quite a lot of story to fit into the movie.

Ralph Finnes (sp?) is terrifying. I hope I never meet that man.

I give it about 4.5 stars.

Kristie said:

I also noticed there were a lot of very young children there. Like, in the 3-4 years age range. After reading the book (and seeing the PG-13 rating) I would NEVER take my children to see that in the theater, and doubly so now that I've actually seen it myself. Talk about nightmares.

That was one of the things which stood out to me too. Had I been a child attending it, I would have been terrified - especially with the maze scene, and, of course, Voldemort's appearance at the end.

I think they took advantage of the PG-13 (or 12a) rating as much as they could - much more 'bloody hell''s from Ron (the kids in the cinema I was at gasped in shock everytime he said it :cute: ) and the scandalous 'Piss Off'. I also thought the scene with Harry in the bath was a bit suggestive, but I guess children don't pick up on that.

My main surprise is that they left the ending out with Cornelius Fudge and Dumbledore parting ways over what they think about Voldemort, but I guess they might include that at the beginning of the next movie - it's pretty crucial, after all :huh:

And correct me if i'm wrong (it's been a while since I read the Goblet Of Fire), but doesn't Fudge have Bertie Crouch Jnr's taken care of by a dementor, or did I just imagine that?

Last edited:
i think that movie adaptations should be more about capturing the "feel" of the novel than following the plot line point by point....i felt that the third movie was by far the best in doing this. Yes, it was really shortened, and yes Harry Potter freaks were upset over this, but the third movie encapsulates the characters, their motives, the book's mood so much better than this one. This last one felt more like a studio's demonstration of it's capablities.

I like this movie a lot. Though, I'm still convinced that these books are not meant for children. This 8 or 9 year old girl next to me was crying and whimpering because she was so scared. The thing is, they didn't change anything from the book for the movie. It's the same type of content.

I have always loved Ralph Fiennes. He's so good at playing bad guys, it's scary. He's such an excellent actor.

Go see it, but don't take kids would be scared.

corianderstem said:
So yeah. What did I take away from the movie? Inappropriate hotness of young men. :yikes: [/B]

lmao!!! Throughout the movie my friend and I kept whispering - "he's only 15, he's only 15"!!!

Oooh I loved the movie, I thought the acting was superior to the other ones, and the set was phenomenal, and the scenes had a lot of energy and were very dynamic. I agree the first 15 min were rushed but after that Goblet of Fire was introduced the pace was fine with me. I really enjoyed it and will probalby see it again in the theaters.

My brother and I saw this Saturday and we thought it was great, even though there is a large absense of certain storylines. And yes, the end was incredibly rushed. Like Harry, Ron and Hermione smiling to each other and discussing writing to each other during the summer? Harry's traumatization seemed gone at that point, although we know everything with Cedric haunts him in book 5.

Oh yes, the end with the real and fake moody's felt a bit too "scooby-doo" for me. It made me laugh.

I loved it, easily the best of the 4 for me, but I had 2 gripes about it

1) No mention of Dobby or the House-Elf Brigade thing, but it wasn't that important to the story I guess

2) The focus on the Triwizard Tournament, in my opinion it would've been better if the focus was on the kids and the end of their innocence, because the readers of the book know it's only downhill from here.

The Order of the Phoenix I think will translate into a great movie, more Sirius, more Ministry-involvement, a new bitch = Umbridge :huh:

I saw it this afternoon, I really liked it. Vast improvement over Azakaban.

My biggest complaint is Michael Gough as Dumbledore. The man has no dignity and no subtlety. Dumbledore grabbing Harry and throwing him around?? What?? And the end--he's about to give a somber speech and he's twitching with his sleeve like a drug addict. It's even reflected in his dirty, shabby costumes. :down:
WHY didn't they get Peter O'Toole??? It's like Gough plays it just to be different than Richard Harris, rather than borrowing what was brilliant about his performance.

I loved the Durmstrang students though. Their costumes were great. I wanted to hear Victor say "Her-my-o-nin-nee" though!

Cedric was gorgeous! And Ralph Fiennes was, of course, excellent. I must have seen a fake picture of him as Voldemort--I went in going "Oh, I saw it, he's terrifying" and then was totally surprised.

And I loved seeing Lucius Malfoy again. Can't wait for #5 so he finally gets some scenery to chew again. :drool:

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:
I saw it this afternoon, I really liked it. Vast improvement over Azakaban.

My biggest complaint is Michael Gough as Dumbledore. The man has no dignity and no subtlety. Dumbledore grabbing Harry and throwing him around?? What?? And the end--he's about to give a somber speech and he's twitching with his sleeve like a drug addict. It's even reflected in his dirty, shabby costumes. :down:
WHY didn't they get Peter O'Toole??? It's like Gough plays it just to be different than Richard Harris, rather than borrowing what was brilliant about his performance.

I loved the Durmstrang students though. Their costumes were great. I wanted to hear Victor say "Her-my-o-nin-nee" though!

Cedric was gorgeous! And Ralph Fiennes was, of course, excellent. I must have seen a fake picture of him as Voldemort--I went in going "Oh, I saw it, he's terrifying" and then was totally surprised.

And I loved seeing Lucius Malfoy again. Can't wait for #5 so he finally gets some scenery to chew again. :drool:

Sorry to be a corrector, but Michael Gambon plays Dumbledore, and he I wondered why he threw Harry around too...

My sister kept saying "Robbing the cradle...can't...look!! Too young!" I think we're forgiven, considering how old the actress who plays Moaning Myrtle is, and look at what she got up to!

He has that beautiful rosy English skin... :drool:

Lemon, you're right, I realized I'd mixed them up. :) Oh well, he's still the worst Dumbledore ever. I've yet to see a film where Gambon doesn't come off sleazy, great choice for a kid's film. :rolleyes:

AvsGirl41 said:
He has that beautiful rosy English skin... :drool:
:drool: i am such a sucker for that rosy skin.

i'm with you on the michael gambon thing. he just seemed so rough and he yelled a lot. he hardly seemed the kindly, old man from the books.

and am i the only one who thinks that emma watson is a terrible actress? it seemed to me that she overacted in practically every scene. her eyebrows were all over the place when she was speaking - it was really distracting.

lmjhitman said:

and am i the only one who thinks that emma watson is a terrible actress? it seemed to me that she overacted in practically every scene. her eyebrows were all over the place when she was speaking - it was really distracting.

No. She uses way too much body language and puts way too much emphasis on her accent.
I though the ball scene where she went all Cinderella on the stairs was one of the most cringeworthy moments (in terms of bad acting) from the films so far.

AvsGirl41 said:

I hope so, since he sure as hell isn't going to be getting much in film 6 :sad:

Hopefully there will be more of Draco/Lucius/Snape in the next film. I like the bad characters - they tend to being in some good comedy to it in places :up:

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

I hope so, since he sure as hell isn't going to be getting much in film 6 :sad:

Hopefully there will be more of Draco/Lucius/Snape in the next film. I like the bad characters - they tend to being in some good comedy to it in places :up:

I was so annoyed they cut him out of POA! There was no good reason to do that. I thought, continuity wise, it was important to keep Lucius in the mix and show how much legitimate power the dark wizards had grabbed.

It doesnt sound like Jason Isaacs has read book 5 yet, and I'm shocked.

Have you been here? They have really good screen captures...

Jason Isaacs Photo Album

AvsGirl41 said:

I was so annoyed they cut him out of POA! There was no good reason to do that. I thought, continuity wise, it was important to keep Lucius in the mix and show how much legitimate power the dark wizards had grabbed.

It doesnt sound like Jason Isaacs has read book 5 yet, and I'm shocked.

Have you been here? They have really good screen captures...

Jason Isaacs Photo Album

I have never seen that website in my life...

:shifty:

This one is rather good too http://www.jason-isaacs.netfirms.com/luciusscenebyscene.htm - they have alot more screen captures up :up:

I don't even remember him being mentioned in PofA :huh: . I thought he may have shown up because he enodied the whole pantomime villain (boohiss) idea quite well, but alas, no.

Snape doesn't quite cut it as the charismatic handsome villain ;)

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

I have never seen that website in my life...

:shifty:

This one is rather good too http://www.jason-isaacs.netfirms.com/luciusscenebyscene.htm - they have alot more screen captures up :up:

I don't even remember him being mentioned in PofA :huh: . I thought he may have shown up because he enodied the whole pantomime villain (boohiss) idea quite well, but alas, no.

Snape doesn't quite cut it as the charismatic handsome villain ;)

Oooh, thanks--that is a good one. :up:

I thouht he was present at Buckbeak's execution, but I just looked at the book and he's not...but he was behind all that because it had slashed up Draco. So they could have tossed him a cameo.

My sister adores Snape...whole house of secret Slytherins I guess. :wink:

I'm not even going to see it. Why? I'm afraid it'll mar what fond memories I have of the actual book.

I grew up with Harry Potter. To this day, I can still remember exactly what it felt like being a nerdy little thirteen-year-old in the days leading up to the release of The Goblet Of Fire. So I got into the game a little later than some of the older fans did (just after The Prisoner Of Azkaban hit the shelves), but it was still quite a while before all the movie talk started.

When GOF arrived, I was beside myself with joy. I even bunked school just to get the whole thing read in one sitting (I seem to recall quite a few of my classmates doing the same thing.) At that age, the whole idea of reading a book of that length in two days seemed almost unimaginable, but I did it. And I loved every moment of it. The trip to the Burrow, the Quidditch World Cup (especially the leprechauns - I was only just getting into U2 at that time, and imagined all of them looking like Bono), the horror of the Dark Mark, the journey back to Hogwarts, the excitement of the tasks, Malfoy the bouncing ferret, SPEW, Lord Voldemort, the death of Cedric... It all just blew my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When the first movie came out, I was very excited. I thought, how cool to see my favourite characters on the big screen! But that just turned out to be a huge disappointment. I hated it that my mental images of the characters/settings were completely destroyed by a film that seemed to be concerned with only one thing - special effects.

So I don't want to risk all that I remember of GOF on some lame, half-arsed butchering of the story. I haven't enjoyed any of the movies so far (I'm so sick and bloody tired of seeing that effing CGI Dobby in my head whenever I read the books, now) and I doubt I'd enjoy this latest attempt. One of my greatest complaints with the movies is their complete disregard for JK Rowling's sense of humour. And I mean complete disregard. It's just flashy special effect here, flashy special effect there, stupid CGI character, more flashy special effects, silly scene hopping, etc.

Warner Bros. should have never gotten their filthy hands on Harry Potter. I'll just stick to the books.

I saw it on opening day and again last night. I'm thinking of going tomorrow or Friday. I'm sick that way. :up: :lol:

GibsonGirl said:
I'm not even going to see it. Why? I'm afraid it'll mar what fond memories I have of the actual book.

I grew up with Harry Potter. To this day, I can still remember exactly what it felt like being a nerdy little thirteen-year-old in the days leading up to the release of The Goblet Of Fire. So I got into the game a little later than some of the older fans did (just after The Prisoner Of Azkaban hit the shelves), but it was still quite a while before all the movie talk started.

When GOF arrived, I was beside myself with joy. I even bunked school just to get the whole thing read in one sitting (I seem to recall quite a few of my classmates doing the same thing.) At that age, the whole idea of reading a book of that length in two days seemed almost unimaginable, but I did it. And I loved every moment of it. The trip to the Burrow, the Quidditch World Cup (especially the leprechauns - I was only just getting into U2 at that time, and imagined all of them looking like Bono), the horror of the Dark Mark, the journey back to Hogwarts, the excitement of the tasks, Malfoy the bouncing ferret, SPEW, Lord Voldemort, the death of Cedric... It all just blew my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When the first movie came out, I was very excited. I thought, how cool to see my favourite characters on the big screen! But that just turned out to be a huge disappointment. I hated it that my mental images of the characters/settings were completely destroyed by a film that seemed to be concerned with only one thing - special effects.

So I don't want to risk all that I remember of GOF on some lame, half-arsed butchering of the story. I haven't enjoyed any of the movies so far (I'm so sick and bloody tired of seeing that effing CGI Dobby in my head whenever I read the books, now) and I doubt I'd enjoy this latest attempt. One of my greatest complaints with the movies is their complete disregard for JK Rowling's sense of humour. And I mean complete disregard. It's just flashy special effect here, flashy special effect there, stupid CGI character, more flashy special effects, silly scene hopping, etc.

Warner Bros. should have never gotten their filthy hands on Harry Potter. I'll just stick to the books.

It's not that bad actually. When they said that certain things would be taken out I was PISSED!

But after having seen it, I think they took out what wasn't integral and kept in what was. I think they did a good job with it.

I'm going to see it a third time if that's any indication, lol.

I didn't like the 3rd movie all that much and the first 2 weren't great but I really like the 4th.

The movies are only getting better, but the books peaked at this one

so hopefully the movie versions of the next 2 books won't disappoint like the books have

Back
Top Bottom