MERGED---> GY!BE in concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
you black emperors should have been in minneapolis last night

because the band was there.

anyway, heres some interesting gy!be pictures i found through a different message board.

maybe some of you will find them interesting.

http://www.injektilo-ftp.com/lochreas/

if you ever get the chance to see them, do it. if you dont, well at least say you did to make me happy.

YES!!!!!!

youll probably get to talk to them if you want to. tell them you are reminded of C R E E D when you hear their music, and wait for their response. then tell them your joking. just take pictures, thats all i want, dear elvis. :hug:

OH and tell them you know someone who wants to give them all hugs. hug them for me. :hug:

foray, yanqui is a good album, but i dont have any others. apparently lift your skinny fists...is way better.

Last edited:
consider it done, a few hugs should be good for those black emperors.....:up:

since they are canadian, shall i ask them a hockey question bayer? my so called friend???

:wink:

I JUST realized that gybe! Is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I thought it was some weird band that I'd never heard of. :reject:

yertle-the-turtle said:
what type of music do they play, this black emperor band with the exclamation mark in their name? I would like to hear more.

picture sigur ros on acid.

download their stuff off of kazaa. i definately recommend rockets fall on rocket falls as well as the song motherf( :wink: )cker = redeemer.

great songs.

and theres no singing.

meeganie, are you embarassed?

thanks elvis. :hug:

meegannie said:

thats ok, because in all honesty your definately one of the only people here who has even better ( :wink: ) musical tastes than i do.

btw, im not making a new thread to say this, but im releasing the offical radiohead tracklist and album name on monday. it was just leaked that its going to be released then.

aside from me being a radiohead fan, i still believe that this album has the more world-wide hype than any other album. agree?

If Yanqui isn't as good as Skinny Fists, I won't get it, cos I have the latter.

yrtle-the-trtl, gybe! are often compared to Mogwai, more so than sigur ros. I believe the term is "post-rock" bands but I hear that most truly post-rock bands don't like the term, whereas bands that label themselves p-r are in fact fakers. Labels aside, gybe! are extremists in that they take the Radiohead philosophy to the limit (gybe! did not come after Radiohead, though; they came at the same time). gybe! used to, maybe they still do, insist on not releasing their last names because they didn't want the "rockstar" image. They also champion small companies and reject monopolies. For instance, their cover sleeves and packaging are done by small companies, maybe even hand-folded, I'm not sure. They hate Radiohead's guts because Thom & gang are still steeped in the merchandising industry. Once Radiohead asked them to open a show but gybe! snobbishly refused. They include snippets and clips of newsreaders and preacherfolk expousing the hell-and-brimstone way of religion. These ominous sounds are juxtaposed with melancholic, orchestral music, often lasting for more than 5 minutes. gybe! comprise 9 musicians, I think, with sessionists now and then.

foray

yes, what foray said.

though i have very little use for them as people, their music is good. im glad it has no lyrics, because really, i dont need to hear what they have to say.

i saw gybe! about two weeks ago in New Orleans on a whim. A guy I work with mentioned he and some others were going, so I went along, and anyway I had to work reeeeeally early the next morning but went anyway and didn't get a wink of sleep, but I think it was worth it.

It's like when that guy started singing on A Silver Mt Zion (an offshoot of gybe!), the words somehow fell short of the beautiful music. Let our crowds be fed on/plateglass and tear gas/cos the people united/is a beautiful thing

foray

ya, its a shame really. thats why i like yanqui uxo, because of the music. im very glad theres no singing, it would totally ruin it.

though i see where theyre coming from in their political views, theyre far too extreme for me and actually leave a bad taste in my mouth.

thats why i only like their MUSIC.

Achtung_Bebe said:
i saw gybe! about two weeks ago in New Orleans on a whim. A guy I work with mentioned he and some others were going, so I went along, and anyway I had to work reeeeeally early the next morning but went anyway and didn't get a wink of sleep, but I think it was worth it.

holy breeders. thats awesome you saw them, these pictures are from the new orleans show! i think...i forget already.

but on a more important issue, how are you? nice to see you around.

Yeah it was a nice show, I was delirious half-way through it though due to a lack of sleep, at which point I went to the back of the venue (twinropa) and just sat down to listen to the music. They're more to listen to than they are to look at anyway.

Yeah it's nice to see you too! I'm doing fine. If I told you that not much has been happening with me then I'd be telling a lie. Me and my sister are moving into an apartment tomorrow morning actually, so I should be sleeping... but I'm not... typical. So hopefully I can see you around some more. Oh yeah also I turned 20... this happened a week ago... I no longer claim teen-status!!!!

yes, i know about your birthday, congratulations on living to this ripe old age.

i thought you had just moved to a different apartment a while ago?

still wanna go to europe? :wink:

foray, i know, but surely youd agree that music itself is far easier to be transformed into anything you want (in your mind) as opposed to direct lyrics?

But how can you ignore the politics of it when the voice clips (eg preacherman) are so prominent, while weaved into the music? is what I;m saying.

foray

ah, see, i dont have that cd. i only have yanqui, and there is no spoken word, or singing whatsoever.

yaa see waa a meee?

I have to agree about the lack of lyrics being a good thing. I already think they're pretentious as hell just reading the liner notes to Lift Your Skinny Fists..., I'd hate to see what they'd cook up for singing.

I downloaded that rocket falls thing. The first thing that came to mind was a very f**ked up version (and that's good f**ked up, mind you) of Interstellar Overdrive. Not my thing, really, but when I'm typing reports or surfing the net it should be a pretty good soundtrack.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor Questioned as Suspected Terrorists, Continue World Tour
"What do you think this world's gonna look like in 2003?"
Ryan Schreiber reports:
Renowned Canadian nontet Godspeed You! Black Emperor were held for questioning as possible terrorists at an Oklahoma gas station last weekend, while driving from a concert they'd played at Fort Worth, TX's Ridglea Theatre to a show to be held the following Monday at the Blue Note in Columbia, MO. According to Tom Windish, a representative for the band at The Billions Corporation, the band pulled their two vans and white-panel truck, which they use for toting equipment, into an area gas station to refuel. Upon seeing the motley crew of nine musicians, the station's attendant phoned the police, reporting the possibility that the band might be terrorists.
Before even having a chance to leave the station, the group was reportedly surrounded by police cars and FBI agents who, a representative for Chicago's Abbey Pub, where the band played this weekend, said had guns drawn. The band was held for questioning for roughly three hours before finally being released as innocents. "They get hassled by The Man regularly," said Bruce Adams, co-founder of the Chicago-based label Kranky. "Police pulling them over, anything you can imagine. It's just the feeling in the country right now."
"I just feel very lucky that we weren't Pakistani or Korean," Godspeed You! Black Emperor frontman Efrim Menuck told Pitchfork at the band's Chicago performance on Friday night. "They detained 1,000 people in California, no one knows what happened to them. We're just lucky we're nice white kids from Canada. That's what I feel lucky about." Menuck was reluctant to further discuss the incident, citing that they had already told the story at a performance earlier in the week. Constellation Records, which the band presently records for, had no comment.
In related news, Godspeed You! Black Emperor have just made a live recording of a new song, titled "Albanian", available for download from their official website, and, barring further interruptions from the Department of Homeland Security, will be playing 11 more shows in the States in support of the latest full-length, Yanqui U.X.O., before embarking on a brief jaunt across Canada. In May, they'll launch an extensive European tour, during which they will spend two weeks playing no less than eleven shows in France, before moving on to Spain, Portugal and Greece. Godspeed is also planning a tour of the western United States for later this year, though details have yet to be announced.

oh that makes sense...if i ever saw 9 musicans together at a gas station i would automatically think they were terrorists too. and racists. for sure racists.

Back
Top Bottom