MERGED ----> George Best on a life support machine + George Best dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
George Best on a life support machine

LONDON, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Celebrated former Manchester United player George Best is on a life support machine, a hospital spokesman said on Saturday.

"Mr Best remains seriously ill in intensive care on a life support machine," the spokesman said.

"He was put on it some time last night or yesterday evening after his condition worsened during the day...

"The reason he was brought back into intensive care was with a lung infection. He is serious."

Best, who has been in hospital since the beginning of October, underwent a liver transplant in 2002 after years of heavy drinking.

One of Best's doctors, Akeel Alisa, later told reporters his patient was critical but stable.

"We are following all medical avenues to try to keep him stable," he said. "He is ventilated so he is not conscious."

The former Northern Ireland international, 59, was admitted to hospital after having a reaction to the treatment he was receiving for his new liver and then suffered internal bleeding linked to a bowel infection.

After initial warnings that Best was close to death, his condition improved after a change in medication, although he remained in hospital.

The Belfast-born Best was regarded by many as the greatest player to come from the British Isles. He had a dazzling career at Manchester United, winning the European Cup in 1968 when he was named European Footballer of the Year.

His career nosedived when he left United aged just 26, however, and he has remained dogged by alcohol problems since.

I feel sorry that a true talented football player is going away, mostly in such a way..............but on the other hand...................you know............, this man has dug his grave with his own bare hands. I´m not staying here to judge or wanting to make lessons about sane lifestyle, don´t wanna do it at all.....................but I consider it a miracle that Georgie Best arrived at 59 years..................when you push too hard, this is the end you do, it´s quite inevitable......................

:(

I feel sorry for Georgie...............

7970c2da.jpg

:up:

George Best Dies

Football legend George Best dies

George Best had suffered weeks of ill-health
Football legend George Best has died in hospital at the age of 59.
Best died in intensive care at 1255 GMT on Friday following "a long and very valiant fight", said a statement from west London's Cromwell Hospital.

His family, including son Calum, 24, and father Dickie, 87, had kept an all-night vigil at his bedside.

The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star had multiple organ failure following a lung infection and internal bleeding, after weeks of ill health.

Republic of Ireland Prime Minister Bertie Ahern led tributes, describing Best as one of his "one of the best players the world has ever seen".

"In the days ahead people will struggle with words to try to describe his talent," Mr Ahern said.

"In this regard George should be remembered as the very best at what he did. He was quite simply a football genius."

The hospital statement continued: "The thoughts of all staff at Cromwell Hospital are with Mr Best's family at this time."

Best had been in hospital since entering with flu-like symptoms on 1 October, later suffering a kidney infection.

Best, a recovering alcoholic, was particularly susceptible to infection because of medicines he needed after a 2002 liver transplant.

The Belfast-born former footballer and television pundit had been prescribed medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the new liver.

At the time of his hospital admission in October, Best's agent Phil Hughes said his client had been "off the drink" before being admitted to the hospital.

Best is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to have graced the British and world game.

His heyday occurred during the 1960s, and he brought a pop star image to the game for the first time.

But the accompanying champagne and playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism, bankruptcy, a prison sentence for drink-driving and, eventually, his controversial liver transplant.

He helped Manchester United win the First Division title in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968. His role in the team's success was recognised by his becoming the European Footballer of the Year in 1968.

Best made 466 appearances for the Old Trafford club, scoring a total of 178 goals.

He also won 37 caps - scoring nine goals - for Northern Ireland.

:sad:

R.I.P George

One of the greatest footballers of them all

Pele even regarded him as the greatest player he had ever seen.

:(

Rest in peace George, one of the most talented sportsmen ever.

You will be missed by all generations of football fans.

Belfast will never forget you and we will hopefully honour your memory in a sensitive and suitable way.

Aardvark747 said:
The man even Pele described as, the greatest ever footballer :up:

What he´s done can never get cancelled, that´s the good of all the story.........................there will be always the traces of his football shoes in the fields he played.....................
some things just remain indelible................

One of the biggest football players of the century, unfortunately he wasn't taking his life so seriously....
Here some more amazing quotes from him...:
I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep.

In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Amazing..!!!!

My dad work's for the Irish Star and he wrote a beautiful piece about how he met george in 1987 in the gresham hotel for a interview,he decribes a gently kind man,who incidentially only drank coffee for the entire interview,but goes on to say that everytime george lifted his cup his hand's were shaking,this was a man who was only comfortable on the football pitch and he knew it.

Oh and by the way,i'm headin up to belfast on friday to say my respects if i can get anywhere near the city,bless you G BEST

Best3.jpg

This is so sad. I heard about it on Friday. I was lucky enough to see him play a few times. I grew up in Cheltenham and as a kid my annual treat was a trip to West Brom, the closest first division club at the time, to see Manchester United play. Bobby Charlton, Brian Kidd, Dennis Law, Nobby Stiles, they were all there but for me it was all about Bestie. He was my first hero. The guy was absolutely brilliant. I was watching United play last weekend and I was trying to think who, in today’s line up, was even close to him. The nearest I could come up with is a combination of Rooney & Ronaldo on their very finest days. But that is still a far cry from the genius that was George Best.

I was reading the news toady and saw what happened over the weekend at many games. In a break from tradition instead of the usual one minute silence they had one minute of applause. Perfect, because George Best was all about breaking tradition. The greatest football player who ever lived.
704652518.jpg

Rodney Marsh on George Best:
George Best is a ‘tragic’ hero. For a spell of around three years in the late 60’s George Best was the best footballer in the world. That is my opinion and I don’t care what anybody else says!
In that period Bestie was the quickest, the cleverest, and the most destructive player around. There was no-one braver, he could head the ball, score and pass equally brilliantly with both feet and had an engine like Manchester City legend Colin Bell or Chelsea’s Frank Lampard. He never stopped running.
The only reason Pele is regarded as the best of all time is because he played in World Cup finals over a 20-year span, something George was never able to achieve.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/rodney/best.html

http://www.manutdzone.com/legends/GeorgeBest.htm

Best1.jpg

Rest in peace George.

Back
Top Bottom