MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'll try keeping it clean myself since it doesn't seem to bother her. It's weird because it will clear up in one spot, but then surface somewhere else. I was worried it was actually mites because we found them on our rabbit's face, but the dark spots seem to come off easily once they're moist and she's pretty good about letting my wipe her face.

WildHoneyAlways said:
One of my mom's cats was diagnosed with Feline HIV yesterday. :(

I have to get my cats tested b/c they lived with her for a year and a half before I moved into my town house.

Anybody have a kitty with Feline HIV? The vet told my mom that her cat could have had it since she was born. Sara, the cat, is at least 12 now. I guess that's good news, that a kitty can live so long with it.

I know there's nothing I can really do if my 2 do test positive. :(

I'm sorry WHA. :( :hug:

WHA, does your mom's cat go outside (or did she ever)? Many cats live for years with it with no problems. FIV is a disease of 'unfriendly' cats (spread primarily through bite wounds). Is your mom's cat sick? It sounded like it based on your post, hopefully she'll come through this bout ok. If it hasn't been done already, you should have your mom ask about having a Western Blot test done. This is the best confirmatory test, sometimes there can be false positives on the in-house snap tests, like I suspect was probably done for her. You should have you cats tested at the very least with one of the snap tests.

Lies, for cats with chin acne the biggest connection is usually with the food dishes. Make sure you are not using plastic, otherwise the big key to preventing and help get it under control is cleaning the food dishes *every day*. Bacteria will tend to build up in the dry food dishes in the oil residue that rubs off onto the bowl (ever notice how oily dry food is if you pick up a handful?). The chin scrubs help it clear up the fastest, but having a clean dish is key (in most cases) to keep it from coming back.

Beth, her dish is not plastic, but it is kind of small. Would it also help to get a bigger bowl so her face isn't rubbing the side? Or just put the food outside the bowl on the tray? Posh is living at my parents with me, so there's no other cats around to steal her food and I can put it wherever I want.

A bigger bowl or flat tray might help - but in the act of bending down to pick up the food kibble, she still may rub a bit on the surface and if the surface is 'dirty', that can keep the irritation going on. Some people are into super convenience and just put the dry food on a paper plate and swap the plate out every day. You don't have to dump leftover food every day, just need to make sure you have a clean surface every day.

Hm, I could try the paper plate thing. She gets rationed amounts twice a day, so there's never any leftovers.

Do you know if "sensitive stomach" formula food is really all that different? I bought that kind because Beckham's always barfing if he eats to fast or if he even takes one bite of a plant (he's so weird, he tries to reach into the rabbit cage and get hay, even though he will barf immediately). So I got the "sensitive stomach" variety, but it smells absolutely terrible. It smells like barf, like the food has been pre-digested! Whenever it's feeding time, the whole apartment smells like puke and I feel nauseous. I'm thinking of switching back to what I used to use (oral care adult, I think) if it doesn't make that much of a difference.

What do you feed your cat/recommend to your clients?

Overall we just recommend sticking with the higher end brands, not the cheapest on the shelf - like Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nutro etc. I actually am feeding Iris the Iams multicat right now (even though she is a single cat!) because it is one of the highest protein and lower calorie adult formulas out there. I have fed her the Science Diet Oral Care and she was on Eukanuba for awhile - I mainly fed her those because I could get those brands free or deeply discounted in school.

If Beckham brings up the food within an hour of eating, it is usually regurgitation rather than true vomiting. It is most often connected to eating too much at once and/or eating too fast. Sometimes the sensitive stomach can help, but if it is a 'piggy' issue it won't matter what you feed him. We recommend trying different ways to slow them down, like:
-smaller meals more frequently
-obstacle in the food dish like a soup can or a few golf balls so they have to take a little more time
-feeding on a cookie sheet with the kibbles spread out

Sometimes doing more canned food can help though you still often have to slow them down by smooshing it real thin over a larger surface.

bonosloveslave said:
WHA, does your mom's cat go outside (or did she ever)? Many cats live for years with it with no problems. FIV is a disease of 'unfriendly' cats (spread primarily through bite wounds). Is your mom's cat sick? It sounded like it based on your post, hopefully she'll come through this bout ok. If it hasn't been done already, you should have your mom ask about having a Western Blot test done. This is the best confirmatory test, sometimes there can be false positives on the in-house snap tests, like I suspect was probably done for her. You should have you cats tested at the very least with one of the snap tests.

My mom's cat, Sara, has been in and out of the vet for a few days now. Right now she's back in b/c she had a high fever yesterday. They were able to get it down and she is eating on her own now. We can pick her up tomorrow.

Sara has never been an outside cat. She's pretty friendly too. However, my grandpa's cat, Tammy, who we adopted after he passed away, is pure evil. She is an inside/outside cat. During the day she goes outside for a while but always comes home at night. She's not out at all during the colder months.

My 2 boys are indoor cats. Roscoe, who adopted me :), was a stray when he followed me home. He got along fine with my other 2 male cats. I moved home before I bought my townhouse. My cats pretty much torchered Tammy. I don't remember them fighting with Sara but it's possible it happened. As a rule, my male cats didn't like my parents' female cats.

Will and Roscoe are going to the vet on Monday. I'm hoping they don't have it but if they do my vet sounds pretty optimistic that they can live full lives.

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

Just an email I received from a friend today. Thought it was funny and wanted to share:

EXCERPTS FROM THE DIARIES OF A DOG AND A CAT.
DOG

Day number 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181

Day number 182
1:30 pm - ooooooo. bath. bummer.

CAT

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good
reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it
included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odour of the glass tubes they call "beer". More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured.

But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

:lol:

A rare occurance.. Zoey on my lap!

zoeyonmylap.jpg

She really hates having her pic taken. :slant:

zoeyonmylapclose.jpg

Gah... some kids found a little kitten and gave it to my neighbor at the barn where she goes to visit her horse. He's so little!!!! I'm guessing like 4 weeks?? He's lapping up kitten formula from a bowl, cleaning himself, pooping ok, playing, etc.. but doesnt know how to use the litterbox. She doesnt think she can keep him (she already has 2 cats and 5 rats) so we have to figure something out but he's so freaking cute!!!

kit-1.jpg

kit3.jpg

kit5.jpg

bonosloveslave said:
Overall we just recommend sticking with the higher end brands, not the cheapest on the shelf - like Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nutro etc. I actually am feeding Iris the Iams multicat right now (even though she is a single cat!) because it is one of the highest protein and lower calorie adult formulas out there. I have fed her the Science Diet Oral Care and she was on Eukanuba for awhile - I mainly fed her those because I could get those brands free or deeply discounted in school.

If Beckham brings up the food within an hour of eating, it is usually regurgitation rather than true vomiting. It is most often connected to eating too much at once and/or eating too fast. Sometimes the sensitive stomach can help, but if it is a 'piggy' issue it won't matter what you feed him. We recommend trying different ways to slow them down, like:
-smaller meals more frequently
-obstacle in the food dish like a soup can or a few golf balls so they have to take a little more time
-feeding on a cookie sheet with the kibbles spread out

Sometimes doing more canned food can help though you still often have to slow them down by smooshing it real thin over a larger surface.

This was very helpful. Thanks!
My Gordon has the barfing problem as well. I've always suspected it was because he eats too much, too fast. The couple of vets I spoke with both said it had something to do with acid reflux. One said I should feed him kibbles that are round and not "x" shaped. The other recommended crushing up half of a Pepcid stomach acid reducer pill into their food. Neither worked, of course.

Sicy said:
Gah... some kids found a little kitten and gave it to my neighbor at the barn where she goes to visit her horse. He's so little!!!! I'm guessing like 4 weeks?? He's lapping up kitten formula from a bowl, cleaning himself, pooping ok, playing, etc.. but doesnt know how to use the litterbox. She doesnt think she can keep him (she already has 2 cats and 5 rats) so we have to figure something out but he's so freaking cute!!!

kit-1.jpg

kit3.jpg

kit5.jpg

Aww :cute:. He is little, he still has his kitten blue eyes.

I bought the greatest thing ever this week. :love:

The Furminator. :drool:
popup_prod_01.jpg

I have 2 short haired cats and they shed like crazy. :crazy: I've tried all the regular pet store brushes and they just don't help. My friend bought this for her cat and he loves it.

This thing gets rid of all the loose hair and my kitties love being brushed by it. Their coats are soft and when I pet them I don't get a handful of fur now. :drool:

I take Will and Roscoe for their FIV test tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Gah I bought one of those and it doesnt seem to work for me :reject: Maybe I'm not using it properly.

Good luck!!

I took both cats to the vet today. :|

Note to self: Buy another cat carrier.

Taking 2 cats at the same time was not a lot of fun. I had one in the carrier and one in his harness. Neither were happy. I have to call after 2pm tomorrow for the results.

The vet shaved a little patch of fur where she took blood. Now both cats have little bald spots on their chests. If they didn't look so pathetic when she brought them back in the room I would have laughed. I'm still hopeful that they are both negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom