MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sicy said:

Some cats get MAJORLY stressed out after going to the vet. Saki hyper ventilates for like half hour after I bring him home. Shouldnt be that stressed though after a whole day .. are you sure the cat is ok?

she seems to have recovered now

probably had a bad reaction to some shots she got

AH shots!! Yes... yes.. some cats have a reaction to shots for a full 24 - 48 hours after .. all they want to do is sleep and/or hide.

Is it normal for cats to have bumps in their tail? Otto has a bump or lump, the best I can describe it, near the end of his tail. Should we be concerned? Doesn't seem to bother him :reject:

I dunno that's kind of weird. Any bumps or lumps though is always good to get it checked out. You could give it a few days and see if it goes away.

Sicy said:
AH shots!! Yes... yes.. some cats have a reaction to shots for a full 24 - 48 hours after .. all they want to do is sleep and/or hide.

:yes: Poshie gets VERY sick after her shots. I'm not sure if it's shots, or the stress of the vet. She lays on my bed for 24 hours straight and when I pet her, her meow is like a pittiful warbly cry! She also gets a lump on her back for about three months after her rabbies vacc.

bathroomkitties.jpg

:laugh:

One of my mom's cats was diagnosed with Feline HIV yesterday. :(

I have to get my cats tested b/c they lived with her for a year and a half before I moved into my town house.

Anybody have a kitty with Feline HIV? The vet told my mom that her cat could have had it since she was born. Sara, the cat, is at least 12 now. I guess that's good news, that a kitty can live so long with it.

I know there's nothing I can really do if my 2 do test positive. :(

I'm sorry WHA. Chances are your cat doesnt have it. It's kind of like human HIV. They would need to have had blood to blood contact (maybe getting in a fight) to spread it. Shouldnt be able to get it from casual contact.

And yes there is something you can do. Cats can live many many years with FIV. I recommend ordering 'transfer factor' online for your mom's cat, (and yours if they're positive) and have her start putting it in her food twice a day. It comes in a capsule and you can just open it and mix it in the wet food. It's an 'immune system booster' and can add years to the cats life. I know a gal that her vet told her the cat probly had a year to live and she started putting TF in her food and its been like 5 years and she's doing great. There is no taste, so the cat shouldnt even know its in the food.

http://www.4life.com/TransferFactor.aspx

WildHoneyAlways said:
One of my mom's cats was diagnosed with Feline HIV yesterday. :(

I have to get my cats tested b/c they lived with her for a year and a half before I moved into my town house.

Anybody have a kitty with Feline HIV? The vet told my mom that her cat could have had it since she was born. Sara, the cat, is at least 12 now. I guess that's good news, that a kitty can live so long with it.

I know there's nothing I can really do if my 2 do test positive. :(

:hug: :( I'm really sorry to hear that.

I had a similar experience recently and all turned out well (so far). My housemate's cat died of FIP (or "fips" we now call it), which is something that is very hard to diagnose and once you figure out what it is, it's way too late (she was put down within hours of diagnosis). All of our other cats were at risk, having lived with her and more importantly, shared litter boxes for months. We had to trash tons of stuff and scrub the house with bleach. According to what I've learned, the most risky time period for the other cats has passed, and no one else shows any signs of the disease. It was so scary at first though and will always be in the back of my mind. I hope your vet can give you a definitative answer either way (I don't know anything about FIV or how it's diagnosed). Judging by what Sicy said, your cats have a great chance. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your babies....

Sicy said:

Thanks for the good wished guys.
Sara isn't doing all that great today but the vet thought she was stable enough to come home. She's been hiding out but at least it's in a place that she knows.

About Transfer Factor; there is a Feline version. Is this what the girl you know uses or does she use the people version?

We use the people version.. stronger I think. And there is no way you could give them too much.. its just cow colostrum (like the nutrients from a mothers breast milk). You may even be able to find some at a health food store. I guarantee as soon as you can get some in your mom's cat she should start feeling better. The stuff is like a miracle drug or something.

Sicy do you know anything about feline acne or how to treat it? I think Posh has it because although her little bald spot seems to be clearing up, she now has a new area of black spots on her chin by her bottom lip. I've been wiping it with a warm cloth (the black stuff seems like tiny clumps of dirt, it comes right out when it gets wet) and then wiping the area once-over with some antiseptic/antibiotic liquid. It doesn't seem to bother her at all; I've never seen her scratch this area. I'm not sure whether it's serious enough for a vet visit. I read one of the factors can be stress and there's nothing more stressful for her than the vet!

Yeah Saki had a little bit recently and would just clean it daily with a warm washcloth and mild anti bacterial soap. I used a mild stridex pad also, but be careful because some human antiseptics can be too strong for cats. His cleared up pretty much on its own with me treating him at home, he still gets a LITTLE bit sometimes. If its alot and very thick it might not be able to be treated at home and may need meds from the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom