MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #421
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
You might try this on Chloe, it is AWESOME on thick coated long haired cats, esp. the ones who don't like to be brushed cuz you get so much out with just a few swipes. It works best before the mats get too bad or right down to the skin, it helps cut through the hair rather than ripping it out. It probably looks weird, I had never seen anything like it before I started at my job but I think it would work really well on her kind of coat.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyID=6376

Cool! I'm going to try that on my Mitzi cat. She's a longhaired cat and absolutely HATES to be brushed! All I can ever get with her are a few swipes before she becomes a raging terror. Mats on her are a constant issue.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Do any of you have cats that HATE having their claws trimmed? We tried trimming Max's claws the other day and he yowled and howled and squirmed through out. Poor thing, I wonder if the process causes any discomfort to them at all or is it just him being difficult?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #423
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:46 AM
No it does not cause discomfort as long as you dont cut too far down on the nail into the 'quick' which is the pink part. It's actually blood vessles. I just cut the very tips of my cats claws and yes, it can be a difficult procedure because cats are just that way lol. Zoey is nearly impossible.. she yowls and growls and even hisses. She hates it that much. Saki is easier and almost never complains. I would try to do it when he is sleeping. Just kind of sneak up and cut a few nails before he fully wakes up. Then maybe later cut a few more nails.

Here's a website that shows how to cut them.

http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

They show them using those big monstrosities to clip them but I just use regular small nail clippers.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #424
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Yeah my dad usually holds my cat and clips her nails and I try to comfort her, but she's such a wiggle worm
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #425
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Cornell has a a new set of videos for demos on giving a cat a pill, brushing their teeth, and trimming their nails. The nail trimming link is here:

http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/trimming_claws/

General videos link:
http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/

I think the little scissor type trimmers are the easiest to use. For the cats that are really feisty, I think it can be less stressful on them to get 1 or 2 at a time when they are napping and spread it out over the course of a few days.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #426
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
Do any of you have cats that HATE having their claws trimmed? We tried trimming Max's claws the other day and he yowled and howled and squirmed through out. Poor thing, I wonder if the process causes any discomfort to them at all or is it just him being difficult?
Beckham was like this as a kitten. The few times he's bitten us were while getting his nails trimmed. My friends were too scared to hold him tight enough and he'd end up nearly hurting himself or biting.

Now, he's mellowed out. If I surprise him while sleeping, I can usually quick do it before he's awake enough to care. Otherwise, I've figured out a way to hold him where he can't bite me. All he does is groan and threaten me, but he hasn't bitten me in over a year.

Like Beth said, if they are being stubborn, I just do a few at a time.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

Poor Posh, she has to go to the vet on Monday night. She's overdue for her booster shots. I hate doing this to her b/c the car stresses her so much, and the shots always make her sick. Last year, Posh spent a few days on my bed and would only eat if we brought food to her. Then, a lump appeared on her shoulder and stayed for three months.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 PM
^^ Why the lump? Is she ok now?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #429
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Zoey is nearly impossible.. she yowls and growls and even hisses. She hates it that much.
That sounds like my Mitzi, except you can add bites to the list. She gets her Hell Cat Bitch nickname for a good reason. The cat doesn't like much of anything and makes sure everyone knows it. She's even a terror at the vet, although at my old vet while she would raise holy hell with the techs and the female vets she was as meek as can be with the one male vet. He never hurt her, but he was big and she seemed to realise that her bitching wasn't going to work. What a cat.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #430
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Poor Posh, she has to go to the vet on Monday night. She's overdue for her booster shots. I hate doing this to her b/c the car stresses her so much, and the shots always make her sick. Last year, Posh spent a few days on my bed and would only eat if we brought food to her. Then, a lump appeared on her shoulder and stayed for three months.
Is that where they gave her the shot? Please make sure they only give shots in the legs. If a cancerous sarcoma developes on the shoulder or between the shoulder blades, it is inoperable.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

I believe it was her rabies shots that made her sick and caused the lump. She had both shots and I didn't watch which one went in her neck, but when she was a tiny kitten she had her rabies after both distemper boosters (didn't weight enough) and that time she was sick. I *think* she doesn't need rabies this time, I'm really hoping....

EDIT: I read about it here on Beth's link:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/vaccsarc.html

That sounds like what she had except it didn't meet any of those three criteria (it lasted 3 months max, did not get any bigger than it was right away, and was about 1cm in diameter).
Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #432
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
^^ Why the lump? Is she ok now?
Yeah, it never bothered her. She never reacted to us touching it. It was there for about three months and then disappeared.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #433
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

The vets should know better these days to stop giving shots in the shoulders

The only shots I give my cats are once every three years and only the FVRCCP booster (for URI's, distemper, etc... things that can be transferred from your clothes, shoes, etc.). There is no need (for me) to give them rabies and leukemia shots. Those are the shots that have been known to cause the most problems. My cats are strictly indoor only and the chances of them contracting either of these diseases are slim to none. My vet agrees with me.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #434
Blue Crack Addict

I've never had them give a leukemia shot. Neither of mine go outside, they don't even care to if they have the choice. I had their rabies done because a lot of things require it. For example, before I adopted Posh I had to show records that Beckham had been vaccinated for rabies, distemper, and was FIV negative. Same thing before my housemate could get Eden. The apartment complex requires animals be spayed/neutered and vaccinated for rabies. Also, in Kent County if any medical personnel treat you for any animal bite wound, they're required to notify Animal Control, who are required to investigate (i.e, cut off the head of the animal if you can't prove it doesn't have rabies). I didn't think it mattered for cats, until Beckham bit me so hard I have a perfect bite impression of his entire upper jaw, la bloody mess, and nasty purple bruising. Luckily, I cleaned it really well right away and didn't have to go to the med center, but I'd hate for it to happen again and have them take him away and shop his head off!

If we ever get a house, I'll stop w/ the rabies (which I think is every three years now that they are two years old? I'm pretty sure Posh is only getting the distemper combo on Monday), but for now I can't b/c of the lease rules and also they spend a lot of time around Max and Loki, who do go outside on their leads.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #435
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Does the apartment complex like ask you yearly for certificates? Or I guess you wouldnt know that since you just moved again.. Because my landlord required the rabies when I first got Zoey, but she hasnt asked me for anything since (its been about 3 -4 years) and she never even asked me for Saki's, so I have not gotten the rabies done again on either cat.

Chop their head off???? I have never heard of that but I have heard of them taking the animal and quarrantining them until someone can prove they dont have rabies.