MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleasai said:
Here's an odd qustion... is there some sort of website out there that provides ratings/reviews on local Veternarians? I think Pita might have to be taken in for a possible UTI :sad:

I haven't found such a site, but when I got my first cat, I just asked around to get recommendations. I talked to people with cats, as well as friends with other animals like purebred dogs with special needs.

There are a dozen vets closer to where I live, including two cat hospitals, but I take all my animals to a different town because everyone I talked to highly recommended this place. My friend takes her cats there and my other friend had her rabbit spayed there. So far, they've been wonderful. They're extremely accommodating and always have room for emergencies (like when I found a kitten in a tree, they gave me de-worming meds instantly and did a little check-up without even charging me). Another thing I like is that if I call and need medications, they don't make me schedule an appointment and pay for that. Like when Beckham had roundworm, I just called and said he needed another de-wormer for roundworm and they had it ready for me to pick-up within an hour. Other places would require an appointment, meaning the cat would have to wait, and you'd have to pay that fee. As long as you know what's wrong and cat tell them how much the cat weighs, it's very simple to pick up the prescription. Also, they have the cheapest prices around even though they seem like a far cleaner facility than others. I think it's because they employ lots of vets and have a large agricultural practice, so they have plenty of clients and even people like me and my friends who will drive past 10 other vets to go there.

As you can tell, I now recommend this place to everyone I know who gets a new pet!

Trevor,

You best bet is getting a recommendation from a family member or friend in your area that has a cat. If you don't have any connections, your next best option is to look for a doctor who is a member of the American Association of Feline Practitioners. They have a website where you can search for doctors that have a special interest in cats, some are cat-only docs but not all of them. Link is here:
http://www.aafponline.org/findadoctor.php

Just be warned that if her bladder is not full enough to get a urine sample when you go in for the appointment, they may recommend keeping her in the hospital for the day so they can check her bladder periodically. Your best bet is to get an appointment earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I just remembered that I have a friend close by whose cat had some UTI problems recently. I'll ask her what she thinks.

Sicy said:
Does she not have a regular vet?

What are her symptoms?

Please don't hate me for this but no she doesn't. She is and always has been a strickly indoor cat with absolutely no health issues. Other than the required shots I have not taken her to a vet. As for the symptoms most noticeably she's begun urinating in other places except for her litter box. I haven't caught her doing it yet so I've no idea if it's difficult for her perse. Also when I pet her, she becomes very vocal and agitated when I touch the base of her tail or the back in the same area. Other than that really she seems normal.

I think you should take her in as soon as you can, especially since I think she is pretty old? (over 10?) she should have a full blood panel and urinalysis done. At her age all kinds of things can start going wrong.

Erg, I feel bad for my friend. She just figured out one of her cats peed in a bunch of empty cardboard boxes in the basement. We don't know why or when he did it, we've had tons of boxes down there since June and they are just now getting cleaned up. He could've done it months ago as a kitten, or he could've done it recently. Who knows. She got one of those automatic litter boxes after I moved out and took all my covered boxes. Maybe he hates it and prefers a covered box, like an empty cardboard box.

My new computer wallpaper at home :cute:

Marijke%20Nov%2006%20006.jpg

This kitten is too much fun! I call her foxy because she looks exactly like a fox. She's got the tiny paws, pointy ears, and short snout, plus the big bushy tail that she holds low to the ground. If she didn't have stripes you'd swear we have a fox pup running around the apartment.

Did they say you can't have it?

Our apartment technically charges $200 per pet, but the manager told me I'd only have to pay $200 for all pets :D

Liesje said:
Did they say you can't have it?

Our apartment technically charges $200 per pet, but the manager told me I'd only have to pay $200 for all pets :D

Wow, your apartment manager is nice. I have the people from hell.

When she told me I had to pay $100 up front along with an additional $15 a month I said I didn't remember paying the $100 for Mia, but then she asked me which apartment I lived in and I asked if I'd have to pay it now if I hadn't. Turns out I had, but I would not be shocked if they would have made me. :mad:

But yeah, $100 up from right now and an extra $15 every month is more than I can deal with right now. :sad:

This is breaking my heart. I want him so much! :( I should have just snuck him in...

:hug: Aww. That sucks but you dont want to sneak him in and risk getting in trouble.

You're lucky. My landlord charged me a one time deposit of $500 for Zoey :| Saki was no charge. And at first we were only allowed 1 pet but now we are allowed 2.

Aw, that sucks! All the apartments we visited used the pet fees as leverage. Like where we are now, he said $200 total was fine instead of per pet. It's not like they would ever be able to tell there's one extra cat anyway. I don't think it's a deposit (doubt I get the money back), but it's OK. And another place said it would be $100 per pet plus $20 a month, but then they said they'd waive the $100. A third complex even had it's own dog park a "dog" buildings for people who had animals at the 75 lb limit.

She will hate him at first, they all do, but I bet she'll get over it. I've never met anyone's cat who honestly never got over the introduction of a new cat. They may never be best of friends, but if they don't kill each other within the first few hours, they're not going to :)

Is there cost involved with adopting the kitten? If there's a fee and you still have other "work" to get done like shots or neutering, you should get on the list here for a free kitten! They typically keep them until they've had both distemper combos and a rabbies vaccination, so there's no extra expenses until the next yearly check-up. I'd be happy to bring it halfway.

Aww, that's so sweet of you, Lies! :hug:

It's $80, and they give them all their shots and neuter them. It's been years since I got Mia spayed but I remember the place I got her from charged $85 to adopt her and if you got her spayed within three months (which I did) they refunded you $50. I forgot how much it cost to have it done, though...

If it's not that much, I could do that within a few months of getting one from up there, and hey, my complex might have forgotten all about that little conversation we had today by then... :macdevil::angel:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

If it's not that much, I could do that within a few months of getting one from up there, and hey, my complex might have forgotten all about that little conversation we had today by then... :macdevil::angel:

:yes: And hey, if they ever find it, then you can start paying. They're not going to kick you out for rescuing a little kitten.

When I got Beckham, I told the landlady we'd found him in the wild and saved his life :reject: She couldn't make me get rid of him after that, so I offered her a few hundred bucks non-refundable for any pet except dogs and it was settled. She came out on top because the only thing our cats damaged was Melissa's carpet (when Eden had UTI), but Melissa got newer, cleaner carpet from her grandma and we replaced it all ourselves. We also carpet-cleaned the entire house before we left b/c someone's mom had one of those carpet cleaners that actually use soap and stuff.

Liesje said:
They're not going to kick you out for rescuing a little kitten.

My landlord kicked out her own brother for having a cat (back when they were not allowed).

And ya, I live in California so everything is more expensive, including rent and pet deposits.

When my mom found out how much I've spent on non-refundable pet fees (none of mine have been a true deposit) she was SOOO mad, but they're worth every penny! My babies are my livelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom