MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #376
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Most cats schedules are exactly like that. Sleep in the day play at night LOL .. cats are nocturnal.
My cats do that. In the wee hours of the morning they all (and there are ten of them) decide to play and go thundering around in the attic (the cats' playroom) directly above me. How cats can make soooo much noise is beyond me.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 AM
LivLuv - so your cat does the "brrrrrr brrrrrrr" thing too huh? Max does that a lot. He'll walk over to one of us, tail pointed straight up in the hair and "brrrrrrr" away till he gets some attention. Once we fondle him and all, he lies still - as close to us as possible - for about 10 minutes then he'll be up and running. He's very hyper. Unitl he tired of his own company and comes back with that brrrr sound. It's probably a sound members of the cat family use in the wild to "round up" thier family or somesuch. I was wondering about that sound until you mentioned it.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #378
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:53 AM
I the brrrr sound Both my cats do it.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #379
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
LivLuv - so your cat does the "brrrrrr brrrrrrr" thing too huh? Max does that a lot. He'll walk over to one of us, tail pointed straight up in the hair and "brrrrrrr" away till he gets some attention. Once we fondle him and all, he lies still - as close to us as possible - for about 10 minutes then he'll be up and running. He's very hyper. Unitl he tired of his own company and comes back with that brrrr sound.
YESSSS! That's exactly it! And our cat is named Max too. Well, his name is Maximus, but he goes by Max. He wanders around going "brrrrr brrrrr brrrr" and he does that funny thing where he holds his tail WAY up high. It's almost like he enjoys the sound of his own voice or something, he just paces around doing that. Beckham used to do this, but not really anymore, unless he's trying to get Posh to chase him. Posh has never done the "brrrr" or held her tail like that. She has a very whining high-pitched meow so she just plain cries when she wants attention.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #380
Forum Moderator

Not the greatest quality picture, but here's one of our cats, Lucia, in her ambush spot, which is where she lies in wait to trip the dog (who's blind, deaf, and very, very old) as he passes by on the way to his water bowl.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #381
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Aww yolland.. I didnt know you had a kitty She's beautiful
Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 05:53 AM
I'm thinking about getting a 2nd cat. I have a 2 year old female who is very used to being spoiled. I am away for work for a pretty long time each day and at school as well. When I leave for work in the morning, she runs to the door and plops down in front of it as if to say "don't leave again!" I know she has to be lonely. She is pretty comfortable around other cats but I know introducing a new cat will take some adjusting.

My question is, do you think I should get a cat closer to her age vs. a kitten and do females and females get along better than males and females or doesn't it make a difference?

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

I think if they're spayed and neutered, it doesn't matter as much. I had Beckham and as he grew up, I wanted to add a cat and the ladies at the cat rescue said to get a female kitten. It took a few weeks before I was comfortable leaving them out together while I was gone, but they did play a LOT and still do, despite the age and gender difference.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #384
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

If it were me I'd get a very young male. (That's what I did ).
The resident cat will feel less threatened if you bring in a kitten vs. an adult cat.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #385
Blue Crack Addict

I promised myself I'll attempt to take pics of Max sometime soon... trouble is, he doesn't sit still long enough!

What's the best way to get a kitty to pose and sit quiet for a bit?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #386
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
What's the best way to get a kitty to pose and sit quiet for a bit?
Our cats know "treat!" so if we get the camera ready and say "treat!" they stop and look for a second. They also know "spider" so if I say "spider" they'll stop what they're doing and look up.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #387
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Take pics while he's sleeping .. or half asleep
Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Our cats know "treat!" so if we get the camera ready and say "treat!" they stop and look for a second. They also know "spider" so if I say "spider" they'll stop what they're doing and look up.
My cat knows "treat" too. I get to see her this weekend since I'm going home for my birthday
Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #389
Blue Crack Supplier

My wife is good at getting photos... there are alot of finger snaps and it usualy involves yarn or a paper ball.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #390
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzila
I'm thinking about getting a 2nd cat. I have a 2 year old female who is very used to being spoiled. I am away for work for a pretty long time each day and at school as well. When I leave for work in the morning, she runs to the door and plops down in front of it as if to say "don't leave again!" I know she has to be lonely. She is pretty comfortable around other cats but I know introducing a new cat will take some adjusting.

My question is, do you think I should get a cat closer to her age vs. a kitten and do females and females get along better than males and females or doesn't it make a difference?

Thanks!!

I don't know how to copy and paste the actual page but if you go to this address (it is a pdf):

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...Guidelines.pdf

Punch in page 37 at the bottom for ideas on introducing a new cat. I don't think the sex/ages matter as much as really going slow with the introduction.