MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #271
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Ugh.. never use flea collars or flea powders They are pretty much toxic to cats. Only use Frontline or Advantage and do not use HARTZ!! That is the worst one.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #272
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
You have to pill him.. he wont just eat it by itself.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html

Hubby had originally wrapped the pill in some food (a crunchy I think, I have no idea what it was). I just don't think he has any interest in eating. I'll show him the link you sent. And thanks for your help

now back to lying with Maddy

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Ugh.. never use flea collars or flea powders They are pretty much toxic to cats. Only use Frontline or Advantage and do not use HARTZ!! That is the worst one.
yeah?
we use frontline on Ranger since she's the allergic one, but I don't think we can afford getting it for all of them.
I say "we" like I'm involved.. this is another thing I have no say in. They've all been wearing them for years and seem ok, but I'll pass the info on to the decision-makers.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #274
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I think it also may depend on the cat and how each cat reacts to certain products. I've just heard too many horror stories about flea collars, powders and especially any kind of Hartz product.

Here is a whole website with stories of the horrible things that Hartz products did to people's pets.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Here are some pics from my cats.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie

Does anyone have an opinion on covered boxes vs. not?
I've only ever used covered ones and neither of my two have ever had an accident. Actually, neither of our five total have ever had an accident, accept Eden who died of FIP. I originally got a covered one b/c Beckham was so shy, I didn't want him to be startled while in the litter and then afraid to use it. Plus, it keeps the litter from flying around when they dig.

I use two covered ones, and Melissa provided this HUGE covered one and an open one (she got the automatic cleaning one for her birthday).

We probably could've got by with two (for 4 cats), but she wanted one in her room so she could keep cats in there, and we needed at least one accessible on each floor.

Beth is the cat vet and told me to have one for each cat, plus one, but right now I have two for my two cats and could probably cut it down to one, but then I'd have to clean it like twice a day.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 05:57 AM
vaz, how precious!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #278
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
This little one is just too adorable
Old 10-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #279
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Hubby had originally wrapped the pill in some food (a crunchy I think, I have no idea what it was). I just don't think he has any interest in eating. I'll show him the link you sent. And thanks for your help

now back to lying with Maddy
My dad used to coat pills in cream cheese. He still had to "pill" the cat, but it seemed to help the cat want to swallow the pill.

I'm not sure if that's a medically approved method though .
Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #280
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Most cats are far too smart for this. They know the pill is in there. Best bet is to do what Kristie said, wrap him in a towel and open his mouth as wide as you can, drop the pill in the very very back of his throat and shut his mouth immediately, rub his throat until he swallows.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

I have a cat with hyperthyroidism who gets pills twice a day. They are relatively small (I cut/break two of the pills in half to make them even smaller and one he only gets 1/4 of a tablet per day) and I suspect they don't have a lot of taste to them. I simply give him a smallish chunk of loaf style or ground canned cat food and press the pills into the food. He just gobbles it up. I've had it work with a few different cats with various types of medicine.

It might not work well if your cat is really picky, if the pills are large, or if they have a strong medicine smell/taste.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #282
Blue Crack Distributor

I spoke to the vet's office this morning when they called to check on Otto. I asked why they hadn't come up with a better method of medication for pets - she wondered the same thing as well. Hubby was gone all day for jury duty, but he came home around 5:00pm. He got the pill down the cat's throat and then he used the blue liquid to irrigate the area. I believe Otto's resting/sleeping at the moment. He slept on our bed last night, but he did toss & turn a bit during the night. In the morning I found some blood/pus stain on the bathroom floor. He's been licking the area a lot. Vet's office said the blood/pus is normal. She even told me later in the morning that if we couldn't get the pill down that we could bring the cat in and she'd do it for us. Luckily, hubby knew what to do. And he barely ate anything so far today. Maybe a teaspoon of the new wet food and a couple of sips of water. He did use the litter box twice though

Oh, and generally, Otto doesn't like human food
Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Get well snuggles for Otto

Is there a liquid form of the medication you could get? The few times Jack has needed medicine, I've gotten the liquid kind and was given a little syringe to squirt it in the back of his throat so he'd swallow it. Still not a fun time, but easier than pills in my experience.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #284
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the snuggles

As long as hubby can get the pill down, I'm not too worried. I was just there as support & assistance as needed (I stroked Otto's fur)
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #285
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I hope Otto feels better soon Glad you got the pill down You can get a liquid form of Clavamox if you have trouble with the pills.

My neighbors little kitten and her cats are finally getting along.. these are SO cute!!