MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cruzila said:
I'm thinking about getting a 2nd cat. I have a 2 year old female who is very used to being spoiled. I am away for work for a pretty long time each day and at school as well. When I leave for work in the morning, she runs to the door and plops down in front of it as if to say "don't leave again!" I know she has to be lonely. She is pretty comfortable around other cats but I know introducing a new cat will take some adjusting.

My question is, do you think I should get a cat closer to her age vs. a kitten and do females and females get along better than males and females or doesn't it make a difference?

Thanks!!

I have found that the males are more tractable than the females. Most of my males get along with everyone, but the females -- can you say bitch queens? I love them all, even Mitzi -- Hellcat Bitch, but the boys among my cats are easier to deal with.

As for introducing a new cat to my crew, I do it all wrong, but generally get good results anyway. I just say "New kitty -- here are your new buddies. Old kitties -- here's the new kitty. Deal with it." And they do. :)

I think they are so used to getting new cats all the time that they figure "oh hell, what's one more." And the new cats, which are generally 6-18 month old un-neutered males (well, only when they first arrive -- they get the snip pretty quickly), are so happy to have a steady source of food and a nice place to sleep that they don't cause too many issues. :)

indra said:

As for introducing a new cat to my crew, I do it all wrong, but generally get good results anyway. I just say "New kitty -- here are your new buddies. Old kitties -- here's the new kitty. Deal with it." And they do. :)

:lol: I've done that a few times. Posh was the first "second cat", so I took over a month with her, but after that I figured, if the cat was going to be killed, the would've done it right away, so from then on we supervised for a day or so and they were on their own. Five cats and counting and I've yet to see a real cat fight....

indra said:
I have found that the males are more tractable than the females. Most of my males get along with everyone, but the females -- can you say bitch queens?

:lol: Soooooooo true!!

I was just thinking of this and wondering if there has been any research on this:

do cats respond to what music you listen to, and does the volume bother them?

I'm always wondering if I should adjust the volume or avoid artists for my cats

I'm Ready said:
I was just thinking of this and wondering if there has been any research on this:

do cats respond to what music you listen to, and does the volume bother them?

Interesting, dunno. I know that rabbits have very sensitive ears, so when I lived w/ friends I was careful for their rabbit's sake. I like to listen to music LOUD or not at all, so I use headphones.

But I've often wondered something similar - what they think of TV? I think they know it's two-dimensional, because they just don't react to any of it, at least not what they see. Once I was watching Animal Cops and Posh came running when a kitten on TV meowed really loud. Other than that, they cats have never seemed bothered, frightened, or even curious about the TV.

One weird thing though, when I'm hungry or drink lots of liquid I can make really loud stomach noises on command. It totally freaks out the cats. They have no clue what it is or where it's coming from. It's hilarious! :reject:

I have a CD called Jingle Cats and its actual cats meows singing Christmas Carols.
My cats go CRAZY and jump and paw all over the stereo .. its hilarious :laugh:

Worf has only ever really reacted twice to something on tv or the computer. The first time was years ago when she was a kitten. I was watching figure skating and she tried to attack one of the skaters on tv when they made a jump :giggle:.

The second time was not too long ago when someone posted the youtube video of the really angry cat in a cage, the one that made the horrible sounds :yikes:. Worf was sitting on my lap and when the cat started to make those sounds, Worf freaked out and left the room.

Sicy said:
I have a CD called Jingle Cats and its actual cats meows singing Christmas Carols.
My cats go CRAZY and jump and paw all over the stereo .. its hilarious :laugh:

video please!

Today I accidentally knelt down on Posh's foot and she hissed at me :reject:

lol I will try.

Aw I hate when that happens!! Saki has a habit of standing RIGHT behind me when I dont know it. If I bump into him or step on his tail he will BOLT full speed out of the room, tail all puffed up.. :uhoh: I feel SO bad.

:lol: Beckham freaked out when it started playing.

I hate stepping on cats. The first week I had Beckham, I was rearranging my room and I had one of those refrigerators you put under a bar. It was REALLY heavy, but I finally lifted it and when I stepped back, I stepped onto Beckham's paw! He yowled and tried to run, but was dragging his front leg. I thought for sure I'd maimed my baby!

Spunky Butt can look innocent -- when he's asleep. :)

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Spunky Butt and Rickenbacker Straticaticus taking a snooze after playing. My niece put the harness vest on Spunky and was leading him around on a leash. I was surprised that he really didn't seem to mind it.

IMG_0558.jpg

Spunky Butt and my niece.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

And a couple of Miss Myrrh.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Indra your kitties are so adorable!!

And Sicy, that video is hilarious!

Chloe is giving me such a hard time when I try to brush her. She has so much hair now that it's dreadlocking. :slant:

U2Dem I love that 2nd pic :lmao:

Indra Spunky Butt looks so little.. I love the pink paw pads :cute:

U2Girl1978 said:
Chloe is giving me such a hard time when I try to brush her. She has so much hair now that it's dreadlocking. :slant:

You should keep trying.. maybe with a comb instead. If they get really matted you need to cut off the mats cuz they can cause skin problems.

You might try this on Chloe, it is AWESOME on thick coated long haired cats, esp. the ones who don't like to be brushed cuz you get so much out with just a few swipes. It works best before the mats get too bad or right down to the skin, it helps cut through the hair rather than ripping it out. It probably looks weird, I had never seen anything like it before I started at my job but I think it would work really well on her kind of coat.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyID=6376

5879930001B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom