MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chloe is really nuts today!

She climbed on top of the door and when I went to check her out she had a clump of fur in her mouth and swallowed it!!! I'm short so I can't even reach the top of the door to get to her. I'm sure I will have a nice surprise later on today. :angry:

That kitten looks exactly like my Poshie when she was a baby:

poshplay.JPG

poshdoor.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know if Posh was or not. When I got her, there was only one other left. But, she is still rather small for a cat so she probably was.

This is the most recent pic of her, now 2 years old, still has her kitten face and weighs 6-7 pounds:
DSCN1695.JPG

Oh she does look like him!! :cute: He was the runt of the litter too.

We really have to stop having matching cats... :lol:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't know if Posh was or not. When I got her, there was only one other left. But, she is still rather small for a cat so she probably was.

This is the most recent pic of her, now 2 years old, still has her kitten face and weighs 6-7 pounds:
DSCN1695.JPG

Wow, she is a tiny cat. Homer's still a kitten and he's already six pounds.

unrelated cute kitten youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLpZxEd24Y

the kitten composer :lol:

Sorry I haven't popped by in awhile.......

Many studies have been done to see what cats prefer in regards to the litterbox - covered vs uncovered, scoopable litter vs plain clay, liners vs no liners etc. You are always much better off doing things preventatively rather than waiting for a problem to come up and then trying to fix it. Of course, if your cat is doing something out of the ordinary in regards to their litterbox habits such as:
-pooping or peeing outside of the box
-more frequent trips than usual
-crying/straining when in the litterbox
-licking frequently under the tail
They should always have a medical checkup and urinialysis ASAP, ESPECIALLY if it is a male cat. With pain or discomfort, we think the cat's thinking is, "It hurts when I go in the litterbox, maybe it won't hurt if I go somewhere else".

If there is no medical problem found, we usually look next at what might be making them unhappy with the litterbox. All these suggestions are best implemented *before* you have any problems. Many people wonder, "well, I've only ever had 1 box for 5 cats and not had any problems" or "but I've always only cleaned the litterbox once a week and they never complained before!" Many cats will get fussier as they get older, and will just hit a breaking point where they can't take it anymore and look to go elsewhere. Keep in mind to that with every cat you have, your chance for litterbox problems goes up 10%. So if you have 5 cats, your chance of having a problem is 50% and you need to be especially diligent about keeping the set-up as appealing as possible.

Consider these changes if you are not already doing them:

#1: SCOOP/DUMP THE LITTERBOX DAILY!!!! (at the very least) This, more than any other thing, seems to make the most difference when there is not a medical problem and the owner is not cleaning the box daily. We get creeped out using a toilet that has been 'used' and not flushed. We get annoyed having to use a public restroom that has TP and papertowels on the floor, much less having to walk through urine and feces to get to the toilets! Cats have a very sensitive sense of smell, and if you can smell odor when you go to clean the litterbox, it is much stronger to the cat.

2. Have 1 box per cat, plus 1 extra 'buffer' box. Ideally there should be at least 1 box per floor.

3. Most cats prefer the texture of clumping/scoopable litter. The majority of clumping litters have deodorizers or scents added - these are added for us, NOT the cats. Here again smell sensitivity can be a problem - you might like the scent but the cat may not, or it may be overpowering for them. Look specifically for litter that is unscented or fragrance-free. Plain clay litter is ok too but should be dumped daily. Scoopable litter should be scooped daily and completely changed once weekly. When you find something the cat likes, try to stick with it. You are more likely to have problems if you bring home something different every few weeks (ie just buying whatever is on sale). Most cats prefer a litter depth of about 1.5 inches.

4. Boxes should be at least 1.5 times the length the the cat's body. Many commercial litter boxes are too small for larger cats. Sweater storage boxes, cement mixing tubs, and small dog litter pans (for dogs up to 35 pounds) all make excellent cat litter boxes. They should be in a quiet location (ie not right next to the noisy dryer or washing machine). They should NOT have their food or water dishes close by.

5. We see more problems with cats that have hoods on their litterboxes. Cats do want privacy to some degree, but when there is a hood on the box, they can't see what is happening in the room. If a child or another animal disturbs them when they are in it, there is only one way out (that may be blocked) and it may cause them to be nervous about using the box in the future. WHen the cover is off, they can see what is going on and have an easier time getting away if another creature comes to bother them.
A second problem with hoods is the 'outhouse' effect. Out of sight, out of mind - it is easier to forget about cleaning the box, and it can concentrate odors in that small area making it more stinky, even when they have filters on the top.

6. Avoid liners - they tend to absorb and hold odors even when being scooped daily. This is the other end of the spectrum with the problem of scent where *you* may not be able to smell anything but the cat can.

7. Boxes should be washed weekly with dilute, mild dish soap (e.g., Ivory Liquid); no bleach, ammonia, fragrances. Boxes should be completely replaced yearly as the plastic can absorb and hold odors over time.

8. Avoid using scents around the litterbox for 'odor-control' - like Glade Plug-ins or litterbox deodorizer additives. If you are keeping the box clean, odor won't be an issue. You risk picking a scent that the cat dislikes.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

More than you ever wanted to know about kitty bathrooms, huh? Hope it saves some messes for you down the line - you don't *have* to do these things, but is it easier to scoop stuff from the box or scrub it out of the carpet?

For fleas, the best topicals are Revolution, Advantage, and Frontline. Flea collars just keep fleas away from their neck, and the over-the-counter products are not very effective and we have seen some nasty chemical burns at the site of application. For the topicals that come in little tubes, they should be applied at the base of the neck, high up enough that they can't turn around to lick it. They are not toxic, but they sure taste yucky - hence the drooling by Saki in the past.

The little tubes are the easiest, but it can get pretty costly if you have a lot of pets. I think the best value for it's effectiveness and still only having to apply once a month is the Frontline spray. There are probably several places you can buy it online, this is a link at petmeds:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pgroup.asp?LV=201&PG=Frontline Spray

You do have to wear gloves and there is more of a chemical smell since you are using it in a spray form, but it works very well and will kill any existing fleas very quickly and prevent them from coming back for 1 month. Can be used on dogs and cats.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
How is Otto doing this week? :)

He's a sleeping machine, LOL. He was glued to my chair for the last few days & nights, but last night he slept on our bed - usually my side where the blanket is laid out for him. He apparently didn't want to share my seat today, so he's sitting on the crappy chair in my office now. Snoozin'. What a rough life he's got...

I think I mentioned the vet gave us new food to give to Otto. Not that he's gonna lose any weight. Maybe it will keep him from gaining, :lol:

Lila64 said:

And my Otto is about 3 of your Poshs, Lies! :ohmy:

:lol: Posh was actually almost ten pounds last year and the vet said she was getting too fat, so ever since then I've been very strict with their food intake relative to their needs and how much exercise they're getting. There's so many unexpected health problem that can crop up, I figure the least I can do is work on the one health problem I CAN control and make sure they're not overweight.

:up: thanks beth!

I passed the info on to my mom, but her and my stepdad are cheap and very, very stubborn... right now they have two boxes (five cats), both in the basement (tri-level house), non-clumping litter, with hoods, gets changed once a week.
So far I've only got my mom to say she'd think about trying clumping litter. :rolleyes:

I was home this past weekend for fall break, so I took lots of kitty pictures :cute: My Chloe:
n31804491_30434477_4497.jpg

My dad tempting her with lasagna. She LOVES lasagna, like Garfield.

n31804491_30434478_4883.jpg

She does this whenever she wants our attention. It works.

n31804491_30434480_5570.jpg

Look at all that fat and fur! (yes those are my feet lol)

n31804491_30434481_5944.jpg

This is how she and I play. She's only aggressive with me, not even with my parents.

n31804491_30434482_6346.jpg

Here she is stretched out on a newspaper and my Dad's arm...one spoiled cat!

The end :D

Thats no cat, thats a rugg :heart: :cute:

Sicy what is the smooshing business all about lol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom