MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.. never use flea collars or flea powders :yuck: They are pretty much toxic to cats. :( Only use Frontline or Advantage and do not use HARTZ!! That is the worst one.

Sicy said:
Ugh.. never use flea collars or flea powders :yuck: They are pretty much toxic to cats. :( Only use Frontline or Advantage and do not use HARTZ!! That is the worst one.

yeah?
we use frontline on Ranger since she's the allergic one, but I don't think we can afford getting it for all of them.
I say "we" like I'm involved.. this is another thing I have no say in. They've all been wearing them for years and seem ok, but I'll pass the info on to the decision-makers.

I think it also may depend on the cat and how each cat reacts to certain products. I've just heard too many horror stories about flea collars, powders and especially any kind of Hartz product.

Here is a whole website with stories of the horrible things that Hartz products did to people's pets. :(

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

Here are some pics from my cats.

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

pics1010.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

Kristie said:

Does anyone have an opinion on covered boxes vs. not?

I've only ever used covered ones and neither of my two have ever had an accident. Actually, neither of our five total have ever had an accident, accept Eden who died of FIP. I originally got a covered one b/c Beckham was so shy, I didn't want him to be startled while in the litter and then afraid to use it. Plus, it keeps the litter from flying around when they dig.

I use two covered ones, and Melissa provided this HUGE covered one and an open one (she got the automatic cleaning one for her birthday).

We probably could've got by with two (for 4 cats), but she wanted one in her room so she could keep cats in there, and we needed at least one accessible on each floor.

Beth is the cat vet and told me to have one for each cat, plus one, but right now I have two for my two cats and could probably cut it down to one, but then I'd have to clean it like twice a day.

Lila64 said:

Hubby had originally wrapped the pill in some food (a crunchy I think, I have no idea what it was). I just don't think he has any interest in eating. I'll show him the link you sent. And thanks for your help :hug:

now back to lying with Maddy :(

My dad used to coat pills in cream cheese. He still had to "pill" the cat, but it seemed to help the cat want to swallow the pill.

I'm not sure if that's a medically approved method though :reject:.

Lila64 said:
Hubby had originally wrapped the pill in some food (a crunchy I think, I have no idea what it was). I just don't think he has any interest in eating. I'll show him the link you sent. And thanks for your help :hug:

Most cats are far too smart for this. They know the pill is in there. Best bet is to do what Kristie said, wrap him in a towel and open his mouth as wide as you can, drop the pill in the very very back of his throat and shut his mouth immediately, rub his throat until he swallows.

I have a cat with hyperthyroidism who gets pills twice a day. They are relatively small (I cut/break two of the pills in half to make them even smaller and one he only gets 1/4 of a tablet per day) and I suspect they don't have a lot of taste to them. I simply give him a smallish chunk of loaf style or ground canned cat food and press the pills into the food. He just gobbles it up. I've had it work with a few different cats with various types of medicine.

It might not work well if your cat is really picky, if the pills are large, or if they have a strong medicine smell/taste.

Last edited:
I spoke to the vet's office this morning when they called to check on Otto. I asked why they hadn't come up with a better method of medication for pets - she wondered the same thing as well. Hubby was gone all day for jury duty, but he came home around 5:00pm. He got the pill down the cat's throat and then he used the blue liquid to irrigate the area. I believe Otto's resting/sleeping at the moment. He slept on our bed last night, but he did toss & turn a bit during the night. In the morning I found some blood/pus stain on the bathroom floor. He's been licking the area a lot. Vet's office said the blood/pus is normal. She even told me later in the morning that if we couldn't get the pill down that we could bring the cat in and she'd do it for us. Luckily, hubby knew what to do. And he barely ate anything so far today. Maybe a teaspoon of the new wet food and a couple of sips of water. He did use the litter box twice though :up:

Oh, and generally, Otto doesn't like human food :der:

Get well snuggles for Otto :hug:

Is there a liquid form of the medication you could get? The few times Jack has needed medicine, I've gotten the liquid kind and was given a little syringe to squirt it in the back of his throat so he'd swallow it. Still not a fun time, but easier than pills in my experience.

Thanks for the snuggles :hug:

As long as hubby can get the pill down, I'm not too worried. I was just there as support & assistance as needed (I stroked Otto's fur) :cute:

I hope Otto feels better soon :hug: Glad you got the pill down :up: You can get a liquid form of Clavamox if you have trouble with the pills.

My neighbors little kitten and her cats are finally getting along.. these are SO cute!!

bixdeweycute.jpg

bixdeweyyawn.jpg

bixdeweysmoosh.jpg

Kristie said:
we use frontline on Ranger since she's the allergic one, but I don't think we can afford getting it for all of them.

I forgot I wanted to post this link.. www.petshed.com This is where I order my Advantage or Frontline. It's almost HALF as much through here than it is at the vets or pet store.. and they ship fast too :up:

Sicy said:

I forgot I wanted to post this link.. www.petshed.com This is where I order my Advantage or Frontline. It's almost HALF as much through here than it is at the vets or pet store.. and they ship fast too :up:

Thanks for that link! With 10 cats everything can get expensive.

Kristie said:

Does anyone have an opinion on covered boxes vs. not?

I've gone to uncovered litter boxes. My cat Will had a peeing outside the litter box problem. Since I've gotten rid of the litter liner and covers I haven't had a problem. (Will also had an infection of some sort at the time I took him to the vet but the vet recommended I get rid of the liners and hood anyway.)

WildHoneyAlways said:

I've gone to uncovered litter boxes. My cat Will had a peeing outside the litter box problem. Since I've gotten rid of the litter liner and covers I haven't had a problem. (Will also had an infection of some sort at the time I took him to the vet but the vet recommended I get rid of the liners and hood anyway.)

yeah, I was thinking maybe the cats didn't want to use the covered boxes because the lid makes the smell worse... they're on there because one of the cats tends to back up to the edge of the box and poop on the floor next to it

Is it okay to use Advantage even though I haven't talked to the vet about it? I haven't seen any fleas on Worf, but some of her fur is dark and she scratches from time to time. She definitely used to have fleas when she was a kitten (usually in the winter), but I could see those and that was a long time ago.

I always thought you needed a prescription to get Advantage, but if you don't, I think it might be worth trying just in case to see if she scratches less. I guess my main questions is: It can't hurt, can it? :reject:.

No you dont need a perscription for Frontline or Advantage :)

Should be totally fine.. very few cats have bad reactions to those two products. Just try to get it in the right spot like between her shoulder blades. If Zoey gets a mouthful of the stuff she starts foaming at the mouth :huh: (Personally I prefer Frontline, less 'messy' and less 'stinky' )

Otto update. He was much more himself yesterday, even looking out the window. He proceeded to sleep on my chair all day and all night, except to leave for a snack a couple of times. And he's back on the chair, again :cute: Last night I saw him walk by and it looked like something was coming out of the area that is supposed to be healing (not pus or blood). When I had a chance to look at it again, it was gone. He may have licked it off or something :der: This morning hubby took him into the vet for a follow up, and he's doing fine. He let them pill him too :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom