Merged -> Doves Live, Doves In Chicago!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali Rose

New Yorker
Doves In Chicago!!!!

OK. So as you all know I was the huuge Doves fan here that got crapped on by David Letterman and the fookin CBS Orchestra. :mad: MY show. MY hometown-the supposed opening City of their tour got kidnapped ...SO I was sad. But I still had ElBOW. Until they canceled their tour also. HOLY FLIRKING SHNIT. :rant:

My motto in life being "If you can't beat em..Go see em in Chicago..." I made Plan B. With Hallelujahs MUCH APPRECIATED hospitality, I was off to Chitown and its Oysterfest Friday morning to See...THE DOVES.

So fast forward to Saturday....Many random bands play including the Young Dubliners which was a fun show. ...Sister hazel which was also alright even though I don't know too much of their stuff they are very nice, cool guys.

9:00 Doves time finally--weather is now beautiful -we're plastered to the front rail(having waited there all day since 3) and the crowd is drunk and chanting DOVES DOVES DOVES .....THe show ROCKED!! having seen them earlier in June i pretty much knew the setlist--OPened with Pounding of course...AWESOME. During the set, you have Jimi who plays every instrument, including drums whilst singing...Bass and acoustic, guitar....Super fun! And the droomer!! SoOOO energetic! and SMILES ear to ear the whole time!!

Many technical problems throughout the show, did not deter my fun-having, Jimi was another story..... Things were going well until he broke a string in mid song. RIPS his cord from guitar and someone quickly brings him another. Which he proceeds to break another string off of on the first strum. Not a happy camper, but kept on going. at the end of the song, he yells(in his sexy British accent:sick: ) "That was fuckin atrocious but thank you." He was NOT smiling. :ohmy:

a couple songs later, Guitarist Jez randomly falls on the ground. Did he slip? Trip? noone really knows. All of a sudden We see him Arse over tea kettle on the ground. I though he was pulling some sort of rock-out ont he floor act, but no. He had, in fact, fallen. The difference was, he couldn't stop LAUGHING at himself. SOOOo cute. Not mad like Jimi. WHich was also very cute in its own right, however.....

Then to top the night off....During the last and most ROCKING song in the world, (Spaceface) the ENTIRE "stage Adam" :shrug: side of Speakers completly blows out. Jimi almost walked off the stage. He'd had it. I wonder how many guys got fired Sunday Morning...."nothing but the best for the Oyster Fest"(Gina's comment on the sucky-ass Oysterfest sound crew)

WEll they wrapped it up and ran for the hills..Whilst we waited diligently for them to come sign our CD's and take some photos...WHich was not looking very likely due to the events that had just occured...:sad: Finally Jimi slinks through the shadows behind a fence and we all yell for him but he doesn't even stop....AAACCK! I've driven SOO far!!! I so wanted to meet em!!! *coughagaincough*

So one brave girl just RUNS after him....and brings back Andy-the happy droomer!!! Yay! He's my favorite!! (Besides, well, Jimi and Jez...:laugh:) I guess Jimi was too crabby.....So what do I do but tell Andy he's a great drummer :banghead: (when will I Learn??) but at least I had the chance to explain myself and talk to him a little. So sweet. Awesome accent' :drool: He signs my CD--"To Tiffany. Thanks for calling me great! -XX- Andy" and we get some photos...AWESOME!!!

The moral of this story???

PLEASE go see this band if they are in yer area...One of the BEST live shows i've ever seen. Second only to U2 on performing in MY book, I Highly recommend this show, Even if you've not seen them or even heard any of their stuf. I didn't even know who they were and I got hooked during the live show. So hooked I drove 7 hours all by meself just to do it all again.....And I would do it AGAIN...don't miss em. :shame:

-This has been a review/dramitzation by Ali Rose-

Last edited:
Here are some of the photos....I will be getting the majority of the concert ones tomorrow....but here are the GOOD ones....:love: :sick:

Andy(Reg. Drooms---here singing/tamborine) switches with Jimi(Reg Lead vocal/guitar---here drooms/sing)

3354866323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D8%3A%3C%3D7%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E2323336873764ot1lsi

And here is the :drool: pic---Andy, Myself and Gina and some other random fans.....He was very friendly and funny....
3354866323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D8%3A%3C%3D7%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E2323336873737ot1lsi

CURLY CURLY CURLY :sick: *THUD*
3354866323232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D8%3A%3C%3D7%3B9%3Dxroqdf%3E2323336873739ot1lsi

Anyone know why he was wearing that coat when it was 85 degrees.??...:shrug:

More pix tomorrow. For those of you that even care....:D

Nice to see the hometown boys doin' good. I should really get my act together and write some choons - the city feeds you the stuff.

Oooh!! That's sounds so awesome!! I am kinda weird, but I like it when things 'happen' at gigs... good or bad... makes your show unique.

Anway... :wave: New Doves fan here!! Going to see them in October!!

:drool: They open with "The Pounding".... :cute: My faaaaaaavourite.

Glad you had a good time! :)

And angry British accents.... :drool:

I can't wait to see Doves on Sunday!! The December 1st will be even better, though! :happy:

sweet!
that looks like a lot of fun

Arg @ living on an isolated island!! I never get to see any concerts!

meegannie said:

And angry British accents.... :drool:

:

Oh, yeah. It was HOT.

Jimi: GRRRRRRRRRRR *breaks guitar string* :mad: :yell:

Me and Tiff: :sick: :drool: :heart: :kiss:

Thank you for posting that splendiferous review of the show, my dear Tiffany. I think she pretty much covered everything....cept how we stole a giant Guinness Oysterfest banner...but yeah we don't need to talk about that. :| We also got what we originally thought were setlists, but were actually lyrics to There Goes the Fear and Words that Jimi had taped down so he wouldn't forget em :cute:. Also, someone who was clearly either drunk or mentally challenged left a doves poster sitting on the sidewalk. It is now mine.

I think that aboot covers it. YAY DOVES!!! :love:

Saw Doves last night, really good show, highly recommended:up:

Oh, and Jimi was in a much better mood in Montreal; there were no technical glitch and he got people from the crowd on stage at the end of the show, turned it into one big party, it was awesome!

sweeeet

Ah it sounds so cool!! I wanna see them freaking so bad but it might be too late... Feck maybe I could make an LA show...

:banghead: :dance: :scream: :laugh:

imgoingtodovesimgoingtodovesimgoing...

this makes me extremely happy :D

had to share again, cant really help myself ya know

awesome Ali Rose!!!! I am going in philly and you just made me more psyched (if that's possible!!) :D :D

lady lemonade said:
Saw Doves last night, really good show, highly recommended:up:

Oh, and Jimi was in a much better mood in Montreal; there were no technical glitch and he got people from the crowd on stage at the end of the show, turned it into one big party, it was awesome!

BAAAAH!!!! *stabs stage crew from Chicago show*

But seriously, that's really cool. I'm glad you had such a good time. :)

lady lemonade said:
:shocked: :shocked: :dance: :happy: :laugh: :D How fun!!! I can't wait to go!! Sunday, yay!!! Ok, even if jimi doesn't do that in philly, i'm still way excited...that's so fun though, jimi rules. :up:

Holy Crapola. I saw the DC show last night. Friggin Awesome. Now I am considering going to philly on sunday followed by a monday of coldplay in Bmore.

Seriously they were awesome, I could have stayed at 9:30 club all night. The only bad part the woman in front of me who was hammered out of her rocker and would not stop bumping in to everyone. I am kicking myself for missing these guys the last few times through DC now.

Glad you got to see them, DiGi!!! I wish I could've gone last night. I can't wait to see them on Sunday and again in December!!

Last edited:
meeganie!!!!! I only just read this again :(

I think I mightve seen you guys too, were you in the front right on the stage? I saw a girl with red hair that had a bag with a U2 button on it!! and there was another girl with her

if that was you, I was right behind you, well not quite, you know the identical twins with the huge red hair? :D I was the girl behind them in a light green T that said Seattle and jeans.

so how incredible was that????! I liked when the guy yelled "SEXY!!" :laugh:

yeah but anyway, they are an amazing band live, Id LOVE to go again right now!!! I thought the opening band was pretty good too, I almost bought their cd but instead went for the Doves shirt :shame:

anyway, I wish Id read this before. let me know if that was you!!

Yes, that was me!! That stage was SO TALL, but I love that venue. I'm glad you got a good spot too. :) What was up with the people in the balcony? :shrug:

I thought the show was excellent -- especially Jimi's voice during "Satellites" :drool: !! "The Cedar Room," "The Man Who Told Everything," and "Spaceface" were also incredible. I can't wait to see them again in December!!!!

I liked the opening band too -- I feel like I probably know someone who knows them since they're from Kentucky and everyone in Kentucky is related! ;) Their lead singer had a great voice, but I wish the sound had been a little better because I think the music kinda drowned him out at times.

I wish I'd PM'ed about the show so I could've said hi! :slant:

so that was you!!!!! I thought so. Yeah it was an amazing show; it was my first time seeing them live since I'm a really new fan. i thought some songs were better live than others but they were all excellent!! I almost died for joy during Satellites, I dont think the grin came off my face all night, I was so happy :D
I am glad you guys had a good time too. And yeah the people up in the balcony either didnt understand him or had decided to be really rude :scratch:
good think they finally stood up

haha about Kentucky :lol:
dude guess what? My Morning Jacket just played in Newark, DE where I am yesterday night. I couldnt afford to go plus I didnt have a car to get there, but I really wanted to!! anyway i thought that was a weird coincidence

anyway yeah, great show :yes:
dont be afraid to pm me next time cos I dont check threads I post in often enough :slant:

Last edited:
loveth doves

hey tiffy!!!

glad to hear that the doves love is still going. :D have you managed to convert russ yet?

they were amazing to see at V2002 in England last month...ten times better than when i saw them in the states, but that may be because the crowd was soooo incredibly INTO them. :yes:

in any case, i have been making new doves fans where i am now living. pass around the CDs and watch people fall for em. yeehaw.

i just just just got to see that my film which i sent back to my parents to send into Snapfish for me has been developed and is online, so i shall try to put some in here. this computer has shit screen resolution so i cannot tell what kind of quality these might be...

3355668%3B23232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2323%3D42%3A%3D663%3D323242%3A572439nua4%3A3fj0mrj

3355668%3B23232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2323%3D42%3A%3D663%3D323242%3A57243%3Bnua4%3A3fj0mrj

3355668%3B23232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2323%3D42%3A%3D663%3D323242%3A572453nua4%3A3fj0mrj

3355668%3B23232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2323%3D42%3A%3D663%3D323242%3A572456nua4%3A3fj0mrj

Back
Top Bottom