MERGED ---> Dixie Chicks + Not Ready To Make Nice - song of the year already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice - song of the year already?

Well some of you know I am a bit of a country fan (note - that is country - not country and western - there is a huge difference) and I have had the latest Dixie Chicks song on rotation for about 2 weeks now.

It's a very personal rebuttal to all the idiots who lost their shi t over Natalie Maine's admission at a London show in 2003 that they were embarassed to come from Texas - home of George W Bush. What followed that statement was purely amazing. It made the front of a few papers here in Australia as well as cause a fair bit of discussion about America's faith in it's own ability to protect the right to free speech.

The Dixie Chicks faced massive criticism in the USA from all angles - CD's were smashed, concert dates almost cancelled due to consumer backlash and a huge radio block out was started - and the stigma is still attached. It was reported earlier this year that a few venues in the Southern USA did not allow the Dixie Chicks to book dates there for their 'Long Road' tour which defiantly kicks off in London later this year.

So what is your take on the song?

You can hear it at www.dixiechicks.com as well as see the stunning video. Even if you hate the whole concept of country music, this is an important song - perhaps the first fully defiant protest song of this millennia from a major label act. Yes, that is a big call considering Green Day gave us a whole album of them with 'American Idiot' - byut this song doesn't criticise the USA - it flips the bird, drops their pants and shits on those who dare to put addendums and restrictions on free speech.

Here are the lyrics -

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

I’m through with doubt
There’s nothing left for me to figure out
I’ve paid a price
And I’ll keep paying

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said
Can’t you just get over it
It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’
It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they’d write me a letter
Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

‘Cause I’m mad as hell

‘Cause I’m mad as hell

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

Your thoughts?

Just a point of clarification. At no time was her free speech threatened. The government never tried to shut her up.

She has the right to express her opinion - and she did. People also have the right to disagree and apparently they did.

If Bono suddenly said in a concert that he loved George Bush and that he wished we would wipe Iraq off the face of the earth - then almost everyone I know would boycott U2. Would that be a threat to free speach? Of course not.

That is what is beautiful about freedom. An artist has the right to say whatever they want. But I as a consumer have the right to buy or not to buy. If Bono somehow turned out to be a Nazi - I'd stop buying U2 records. If Bono keeps singing out about spiritual and life struggles that I also find myself in - then I'll keep buying.

Because the Dixie Chicks are country, their fan base is a bit more...shall I say...conservative. Nothing wrong with it - it is what it is. Speaking out against the war and the president in 2003 would naturally tick many of them off. You have to know your fan base. If they were Alternative Rockers, they're popularity would have gone up.

The point is this - speaking your mind and ticking off your fans is not a threat to free speach. It's only a two-way expression of free speech in action.

Thanks I hadn't heard it yet. I like the a lot of their music and I know the concert here in orange county had lots of empty seats because of her remarks.

I think it's great she's not apologizing. She shouldn't.

I do wonder if this is getting airplay on country radio, anybody know?

AEON: not agreeing with them and not buying their music or not going to their shows is one thing. (is it that impossible to enjoy someone's music even if you don't agree with any given opinion they might have, though?)

Destroying their CDs/banning them from the radio/venues blocking them from playing is another. :down:

U2girl said:
AEON: not agreeing with them and not buying their music or not going to their shows is one thing. (is it that impossible to enjoy someone's music even if you don't agree with any given opinion they might have, though?)

Destroying their CDs/banning them from the radio/venues blocking them from playing is another. :down:

And let's not forget the death threats they received :|

As for the song, I love it. It will not be played on country radio, no way, no how. I think they lost their hardcore country audience for good, which is a real shame but the video is getting a lot of play on VH1 so maybe they'll pick up some fans who would never listen to country music :shrug:

:shrug: it's just yet another example of the freedoms of our country... someone doesn't agree with the president, so they make their opinions known... and then someone else agree with what the person said, so they choose not to have them at their venue any longer.

the government still did nothing to stop them from being able to say what they wanted to.

Death threats aren't cool.
As for this new song, it doesn't hold a candle to Goodybe Earl, sorry. I think that song is the pinnacle of their career.

U2girl said:

Although I find that repugnant, as long as those cds were paid for, I don't care what people do with them. If they were stolen and destroyed that would be a criminal matter and should be prosecuted as such. As far as not getting radio airplay or booked by some venues -- well those are most likely privately owned (and almost certainly not government owned), and as such have the right to play or not play, book or not book what they want.

Is it boorish behaviour? Yes. Infringing on Maines' free speech? No.

But I'm glad they aren't apologising.

(as for your question about being able to enjoy an artists music while disagreeing with them on some matters -- I had to laugh because it just came up on another site I visit. A guy on a site for another band said he was terminating his account and would never listen to the band's music because he disagreed with the singer's stance on gun ownership. :rolleyes: )

U2girl said:

Most radio stations are independently owned so if they want to ban a song, they're allowed. As for destroying the CDs - there isn't a law against throwing a cd away you don't want it anymore (for whatever reason). It's not like the stores selling the cds destroyed them.

So really no laws were broken :shrug:

I just visitited a country message board.. Lord some of the views :crazy:

Looks like they still have lots of support though and as far as the LA station KZLA the new song is 18 on the top 20 :shrug:

here is Barry Walters Rolling Stone review of the new album-

Following in the bootsteps of other Nashville renegades who eventually outgrew country radio, the Dixie Chicks answer their critics with the unapologetic Taking the Long Way. Their seventh studio album embraces the depth and fury of classic rock while remaining true to the trio's Texas roots. Rather than try to forget about singer Natalie Maines' anti-Bush remarks of 2003 -- which landed them in hot water with a lot of station program directors -- the threesome declares it's still "Not Ready to Make Nice" and employs Semisonic guy Dan Wilson, Jayhawk Gary Louris and other unlikely contributors to help write hooks as strong as their own sentiments. Producer Rick Rubin enlists Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and Heartbreakers keyboardist Benmont Tench and guitarist Mike Campbell to supply thick and gritty accompaniment that raises the urgency level of the album. If you've dismissed the Chicks or need a new reason to love them, the epic, howling longing of "Voice Inside My Head" will blow your expectations.

Last edited:
redkat said:
I just visitited a country message board.. Lord some of the views :crazy:

Looks like they still have lots of support though and as far as the LA station KZLA the new song is 18 on the top 20 :shrug:

Maybe I'm wrong about them not coming back on country radio :hmm:

Going back to your first post, we were at the Pond show too, with Doozer. It was really a strange night. All the extra security was a bit unsettling and I couldn't figure out why the Chicks were boo'd at some points. Why would you keep your tickets or bother with the show if you've written them off?

Bono's American Wife said:
Why would you keep your tickets or bother with the show if you've written them off?

just to boo I guess :slant: I think most of the people there supported them, though I had some friends who thought of selling their tickets after the comment :tsk: I'm surrounded by republicans you know.

It was a great show despite a few awkward moments.

I completely dismissed them until I saw them at a Lilith Fair years ago lol. I was annoyed they would be there then I was pleasantly suprised. They put on a really good show.

I think the song is OK, but I'm very eager to hear the album. I absolutely loved their last album ("Home" - seriously amazing), and my expectations are very high.

AEON said:
The point is this - speaking your mind and ticking off your fans is not a threat to free speach. It's only a two-way expression of free speech in action. [/B]
:yes:

Here's what President Bush said in a Tom Brokaw interview following the Chicks comments.
+++

Q. One of the things that you said was that you wanted to liberate the Iraqi people so they could speak their minds. But in this country, when some people spoke their minds when it happened to be in opposition of the war, they got jumped on by a lot of folks.
.....Well, the Dixie Chicks, for example.

THE PRESIDENT: I mean, the Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say. And just because -- they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out. You know, freedom is a two-way street. But I have -- don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq, by the way.

For the record here's what President Bush said in a 2003 Tom Brokaw interview following the Chicks comments.
+++

Q. One of the things that you said was that you wanted to liberate the Iraqi people so they could speak their minds. But in this country, when some people spoke their minds when it happened to be in opposition of the war, they got jumped on by a lot of folks.
.....Well, the Dixie Chicks, for example.

THE PRESIDENT: I mean, the Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say...... they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out. You know, freedom is a two-way street. But I have -- don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq, by the way.

Dalton said:
T-R-I-T-E.

Song of the year? :no:

While this may be put a little more harshly than I would have said it, I agree. I am by no means a fan of their's, but I've at least thought they have generally made "good" songs in contrast with what's usually being released in their genre. Because of all the press about how "political" and/or "angry" this album is and about Rubin producing, I was interested in finally hearing the new song. I saw the music video last night on VH1 and was incredibly surprised with how bland I found it in every sense. There was no real sense of straight forward anger or any remote attempt to speak politically in an intelligent or artistic way. Add that to the fact that I truely think Rubin is completely ruining the sound of nearly every pop band he's worked with in the last few years, and you have a surprisingly forgettable song to my ears. I dont know, I guess I was just expecting something a lot more.

Maybe I need to hear it again.

I think the Chicks have every right to be pissed off and not make nice with the idiotic "shut up and sing" crowd. I'm glad they aren't. However, that's no guarantee of great music. I thought "Not Ready to Make Nice" was kind of bland. I was hoping for something with more of an edge musically. Maybe the rest of the album is different, but I'm not in any rush to buy it and find out.

Back
Top Bottom