MERGED ---> Dixie Chicks + Not Ready To Make Nice - song of the year already? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
The point is this - speaking your mind and ticking off your fans is not a threat to free speach. It's only a two-way expression of free speech in action. [/B]

Here's what President Bush said in a Tom Brokaw interview following the Chicks comments.
+++

Q. One of the things that you said was that you wanted to liberate the Iraqi people so they could speak their minds. But in this country, when some people spoke their minds when it happened to be in opposition of the war, they got jumped on by a lot of folks.
.....Well, the Dixie Chicks, for example.

THE PRESIDENT: I mean, the Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say. And just because -- they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out. You know, freedom is a two-way street. But I have -- don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq, by the way.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #17
Acrobat

For the record here's what President Bush said in a 2003 Tom Brokaw interview following the Chicks comments.
+++

Q. One of the things that you said was that you wanted to liberate the Iraqi people so they could speak their minds. But in this country, when some people spoke their minds when it happened to be in opposition of the war, they got jumped on by a lot of folks.
.....Well, the Dixie Chicks, for example.

THE PRESIDENT: I mean, the Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say...... they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out. You know, freedom is a two-way street. But I have -- don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq, by the way.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:04 PM
Old 05-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
T-R-I-T-E.

Song of the year?
While this may be put a little more harshly than I would have said it, I agree. I am by no means a fan of their's, but I've at least thought they have generally made "good" songs in contrast with what's usually being released in their genre. Because of all the press about how "political" and/or "angry" this album is and about Rubin producing, I was interested in finally hearing the new song. I saw the music video last night on VH1 and was incredibly surprised with how bland I found it in every sense. There was no real sense of straight forward anger or any remote attempt to speak politically in an intelligent or artistic way. Add that to the fact that I truely think Rubin is completely ruining the sound of nearly every pop band he's worked with in the last few years, and you have a surprisingly forgettable song to my ears. I dont know, I guess I was just expecting something a lot more.

Maybe I need to hear it again.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think the Chicks have every right to be pissed off and not make nice with the idiotic "shut up and sing" crowd. I'm glad they aren't. However, that's no guarantee of great music. I thought "Not Ready to Make Nice" was kind of bland. I was hoping for something with more of an edge musically. Maybe the rest of the album is different, but I'm not in any rush to buy it and find out.