MERGED ----> Depeche Mode Playing The Angel + New DEPECHE MODE Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davroswildebees

Babyface
Depeche Mode Playing The Angel

Spent the last week listening to the new album by depeche mode and can I just say..... It blows H.T.D.A.A.B right out of the water.
Instead of repeating a formula and basically regurgitating their whole career they have approached each new album as a fresh new challenge unlike u2.Playing the angel is an inspired collection of songs that sounds like nothing they have previously recorded.I used to love u2, have done since 83 ,but to be honest after many months of trying to love it ,the new album just doesn't cut it with me.I'm sure there are many of you guys out there that know but can't admit that u2 have lost their way over the last decade.I guess they need to go and dream it up again to coin a phrase !!

Funny, i kind of got to love the album even more now then when it came out last year, but i guess we are different so....:wink: Then again im not to keen after depeche mode!!

what you say after Songs of Faith and Devotion Albun???? i didn't saw since then any good albun of DM... :drool: :drool:

i really hope new albun would be great because i like them allot, but i think U2 have evolute much more in the 90's then DM, The singles Tour, what a crappy circus

I love this new trend of comparing every album to HTDAAB...:|

Can't we just appreciate a new album without bashing another?:huh:

That being said I find your assement of DM completely off. DM has often gone back to their safe sound, more often than U2.

You should've gone for the hat trick and bashed ATYCLB and Coldplay while you were at it.

Back to the new DM album - where'd you get it? What does it sound like? How are the lyrics? How's Dave's voice this time? Does Martin sing?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Can't we just appreciate a new album without bashing another?:huh:

no, this is a u2 forum. every non-u2 band we discuss must be compared to u2 regardless of whether the comparrison makes sense. u2 is the highest standard, unless of course you're talking about post-pop u2. then you get points for negativity.

edit: whoops, sorry, didn't realize helloangel actually wanted to keep this discussion on track.

davroswildebees

Can you maybe tell us where you got the album? Maybe post a link or something,,,

They finally announced the North American tour dates:

Nov. 2: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Office Depot Center)
Nov. 3: St. Petersburg, Fla. (St. Pete Times Forum)
Nov. 5: Atlanta (Gwinnett Center)
Nov. 7: Houston (Toyota Center)
Nov. 8: Dallas (American Airlines Arena)
Nov. 9: San Antonio (SBC Center)
Nov. 11: Denver (Magness Arena)
Nov. 12: Salt Lake City (E Center)
Nov. 15: Vancouver (GM Place)
Nov. 16: Seattle (Key Arena)
Nov. 18: San Jose, Calif. (HP Pavilion)
Nov. 19: San Diego (ipayone Center)
Nov. 21: Los Angeles (Staples Center)
Nov. 25: Phoenix (Glendale Arena)
Nov. 26: Las Vegas (the Joint)
Nov. 29: Chicago (Allstate Arena)
Nov. 30: Detroit (the Palace of Auburn Hills)
Dec. 1: Toronto (Air Canada Centre)
Dec. 3: Atlantic City, N.J. (Borgata)
Dec. 4: Montreal (Bell Centre)
Dec. 7: New York (Madison Square Garden)
Dec. 8: Fairfax, Va. (Patriot Center)

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001056927

i will see them 8-02-2006, allready got ticket!!
strange no? buying tickets without listening to any new stuff!!!

Where did you get the new DM album or at least listened to it? I've been wanting to hear it for a while now.

Last edited:
Re: Depeche Mode Playing The Angel

davroswildebees said:
Spent the last week listening to the new album by depeche mode and can I just say..... It blows H.T.D.A.A.B right out of the water.
Instead of repeating a formula and basically regurgitating their whole career they have approached each new album as a fresh new challenge unlike u2.Playing the angel is an inspired collection of songs that sounds like nothing they have previously recorded.I used to love u2, have done since 83 ,but to be honest after many months of trying to love it ,the new album just doesn't cut it with me.I'm sure there are many of you guys out there that know but can't admit that u2 have lost their way over the last decade.I guess they need to go and dream it up again to coin a phrase !!

hmmmm, if you say this album is great (and better than the atomic bomb, but do we really need to compare every new album with the atomic bomb now?.........)then i trust you, though i haven't heard to it yet. but judging precious, it isn't so far away from the usual depeche mode, it's the usual style, there's nothing different at all, so.....................maybe the album is different, maybe precious is just a discrepancy to the rest the album..........

All reviews I've seen have been glowing and have said that the rest of the album is nothing like "Precious". The rest is very dark and moves in a new direction yet is still unmistakably DM. I get more excited about this album with each passing day.

This person started the thread and hasn't replied even once! I hate to sound judgemental but is he/she a DM insider/U2 hater? :huh:

New DEPECHE MODE album tomorrow!!

woooohoooooooooo!! "Playing the Angel" :angel: Anybody getting it? I've only heard "Precious" and a little bit of "A Pain That I'm Used To" thus far, but am really excited. Anyone else here heard "Precious"? IMO, it's classic DM. It could fit quite nicely on VIOLATOR (probably the best DM record)! Goodstuff :up:

So... who's getting it? Come on, I know there are some other Depeche Moders lingering about in this forum :macdevil:

I've been listening to it for a while, as it leaked some time ago.

Predictably enough, it's pretty good. FAR from great (nowhere near Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion, or Music for the Masses), but a whole fuckin' hell of a lot better than Ultra. Now that I've had a few years to sit on it, I'm not sure where this album sits in relation to Exciter.

Ultimately, I suppose that it's more or less like this: Exciter's highs are higher than this album's, but Playing the Angel is WAY more consistent. Like...crazily so. The only song which is cringeworthy from start to finish (and that's one too many, I should add) is "Macro." Exciter had a ton of those; it was all black and white, last time...no gray. On here, you've got a lot of listenable songs, but fewer "instant classics" like "Dream On" and the singles. At least we've got a few, this time. See "John the Revelator," "A Pain that I'm Used To," and "Lillian" for the most obvious examples.

OZ's bottom line, so far: 7.0 out of 10.0. Or something like that. Whatever. If you like the band, you'll like it, you know? They're not trying to win any news fans, anymore--they play to their strenghts well. Sometimes they play to their weaknesses. What're you gonna do? They're almost old men...

Oh, yeah. I'm buying it cuz I'm an idiot and I don't believe in stealing from artists who, despite present-day irrelevancy, meant a lot to me, over the years. Holla.

:hyper:

Any ysi links of the new songs, people? :wink:

Gotta go listen to samples on amazon if they're up. I didn't bother at all with Exciter but this time I'm curious. :hmm:

If you shout... said:
but a whole fuckin' hell of a lot better than Ultra.

I admit I've only heard Barrel, It's No Good, Home and Useless from that album but is it really that bad??? :eyebrow:

Zootlesque said:
:hyper:

Any ysi links of the new songs, people? :wink:

Gotta go listen to samples on amazon if they're up. I didn't bother at all with Exciter but this time I'm curious. :hmm:

I admit I've only heard Barrel, It's No Good, Home and Useless from that album but is it really that bad??? :eyebrow:

Those are all the singles from Ultra. Both that album and Exciter had amazing, classic singles and either nothing (Ultra) or little else (Exciter) to offer. Trust me.

And I would gladly do the ysi thing, but I'm rate-limited. So that's a no-go. Sorry, kids. It's out in a few hours, anyway. So I hope all's well. Or just get 'em on some network, somewhere. They're all over the place, now.

:wave: Major fan here.

I'm actually going to their instore signing 2maro at Tower Records here in NYC and will try to get a pic with them. I :heart: Martin.

<bragging>i've had this for a couple of weeks now </bragging>

but yeah, i like it a lot, probably their best since songs of faith & devotion, if not violator. though i thought ultra was kinda crappy & exciter was kinda really crappy.

now i just need to get tix for their show in december . . .

Back
Top Bottom