MERGED ----> Depeche Mode Playing The Angel + New DEPECHE MODE Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you shout... said:

Those are all the singles from Ultra. Both that album and Exciter had amazing, classic singles and either nothing (Ultra) or little else (Exciter) to offer. Trust me.

I disagree. Ultra is an exceptional album in my opinion. It's the kind of record best listened to around midnight. Some really haunting soundscapes are to be found on that one.

Exciter, though, is truly DM-lite. It's just plain boring, with the exception of I Feel Loved and Freelove.

Slapnutz said:

I disagree. Ultra is an exceptional album in my opinion. It's the kind of record best listened to around midnight. Some really haunting soundscapes are to be found on that one.

Exciter, though, is truly DM-lite. It's just plain boring, with the exception of I Feel Loved and Freelove.

To each his own, I suppose. I could easily use the word "haunting" for those soundscapes, as you call them, but with a far less positive connotation. For me, "hauntingly bad" is probably more like it. For solid haunting soundscapes, I got to mid-70s Eno, Bowie, and contemporary droners like Yellow Swans or William Basinksi...as well as a host of others, all far more skilled in musicianship and music theory than DM could every hope or pray to be. At least as far as soundscape-type stuff goes. Still, half of each album works pretty well for me. That's something, I guess.

On another note, I can't help but take minor issue with the final master of Playing the Angel, which VERY often lacks any bottom end whatsoever. When the press said Violator-esque, I didn't think it meant that in terms of the sound quality, as well...

It doesn't take much away from the album, but I was hoping for a bit more oomph on the lower register with several of these tracks. Quite top-heavy, on the whole--I actually prefer the ripped, shady audio of the leaks that I got. They've got a bit more charm and a bit less polish, oftentimes a good thing with DM.

I have only listened once now, but my first impression is pretty fucking good! While I shouldn't be too review happy after one listen, I would say it is better than Songs of Faith & Devotion and Ultra. I have never heard Exciter besides for Dream On. :reject:

I dunno if I should be embarrassed about this or not, but it was Ultra that made me the megafan I am today. :reject: :shrug:

Exciter I liked half of, especially "Breathe."

I'm still pouring thru Playing the Angel today. Will hopefully have time to make some comments about it here.

If you shout... said:

To each his own, I suppose. I could easily use the word "haunting" for those soundscapes, as you call them, but with a far less positive connotation. For me, "hauntingly bad" is probably more like it. For solid haunting soundscapes, I got to mid-70s Eno, Bowie, and contemporary droners like Yellow Swans or William Basinksi...as well as a host of others, all far more skilled in musicianship and music theory than DM could every hope or pray to be. At least as far as soundscape-type stuff goes. Still, half of each album works pretty well for me. That's something, I guess.

I would never dream of comparing Ultra to the incredible atmospheres and soundscapes found on Eno's and Bowie's records as DM will never match them in this field; they're simply not in the same league (though they write better pop tunes, imo). Also throw in Aphex Twin.

However, I stand by what I said. Ultra is certainly one of the most haunting and sonically interesting DM albums to date (for better or for worse), and Gahan's scratchy (or shot) vocals lend a real nastiness to it. Dieing will do that to you, I guess.

If you shout... said:
On another note, I can't help but take minor issue with the final master of Playing the Angel, which VERY often lacks any bottom end whatsoever. When the press said Violator-esque, I didn't think it meant that in terms of the sound quality, as well...

It doesn't take much away from the album, but I was hoping for a bit more oomph on the lower register with several of these tracks. Quite top-heavy, on the whole--I actually prefer the ripped, shady audio of the leaks that I got. They've got a bit more charm and a bit less polish, oftentimes a good thing with DM.

I had to smile when I read this because that is exactly how I feel. I've actually put the CD away and returned to the leaked copy. 'Nothing's Impossible', in particular, suffers greatly from what little bottom end there is on the mastered copy.

Slapnutz said:

However, I stand by what I said. Ultra is certainly one of the most haunting and sonically interesting DM albums to date (for better or for worse), and Gahan's scratchy (or shot) vocals lend a real nastiness to it. Dieing will do that to you, I guess.

I've actually put the CD away and returned to the leaked copy. 'Nothing's Impossible', in particular, suffers greatly from what little bottom end there is on the mastered copy.

I do like Gahan's vocals on Ultra quite a bit, and I again can't stress enough how much I really do love about half of the album. Great pop songs don't all that often get greater than songs like "It's No Good" and "Useless," if you ask me.

And yes--"Nothing's Impossible" is particularly guilty! Good call. See? Even though we're different fans as far as Ultra goes, we've still got common ground on which to tread! :)

Thanks, too, for not accusing me of being too negative or something like that. I'll get used to it in time, but right now I'm pretty damned disappointed with the mastering on this CD. But, hey...it could be a whole hell of a lot worse. Believe me.

If you shout... said:

Thanks, too, for not accusing me of being too negative or something like that.

Yeah, it's a refreshing change to see 2 people totally disagree on an album and handling it in a mature way. :up:

Hello Angel, you're a 90s DM fan like me, I guess. :hug: :wink: I never even properly knew about DM in the 80s. :reject:

Those 4 singles from Ultra are fucking genius electro-rock or however you wanna classify them! :drool:

Oh, and how have I forgotten...?

WORST FUCKING COVER OF ALL TIME.

And DM has had some fuckin' shitty-ass covers, man. This is just abominable, though. I guess it's not the worst that anybody's put out (I'm looking at you, Robert Smith...and that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah cover is pretty damned objectionable), but it's still sinful.

Corbijn has been irrelevant for quite a while, now...but this just tops it off. Unreal how bad it is.

...And I thought the video he did for The Killers was rancid. Little did I know, man. Little did I know.

Last edited:
The album cover, dude. Anton Corbijn is the photographer, not a musician. Well, I guess he's a director (of such train-wrecks as "Electrical Storm," of late) and a graphic designer (see this "blasphemous" example, pun intended) as well...but damn. Mo'fucker don't know what's what, no more.

If you shout... said:
Anton Corbijn is the photographer, not a musician.

:lol: I know. Guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together!

... and make 5. :happy:

LMAO at description of Electrical Storm!

HelloAngel said:
After my first listen to the new album, I'm very underwhelmed. I'll give it a couple more tries though.

Can we ever agree upon a first listen? :wink:

I was underwhelmed by the Killers at first.

You were underwhelmed by Antics and now this. :tsk:

bsp77 said:

Can we ever agree upon a first listen? :wink:

I was underwhelmed by the Killers at first.

You were underwhelmed by Antics and now this. :tsk:

bsp, did you read my Hail reviews? :hyper:

The thread was still pushed out of the first page. :tsk:

HelloAngel said:
After my first listen to the new album, I'm very underwhelmed. I'll give it a couple more tries though.

Really? I hate when that happens I must get the album tomorrow I've been looking forward to it since I heard precious

Did you goto the store signing?

Zootlesque said:

bsp, did you read my Hail reviews? :hyper:

Yeah, I did. Glad you enjoy it. It really is an amazing album, or at least, an amazing collection of songs.

Now, you need to start getting into Coldplay and your descent will be complete. :wink:

one4u2 said:
Did you goto the store signing?

Dude, we showed up and like 1,000 ppl were already in line and more kept showing up...so we just packed it in and got breakfast instead. :(

I love it! After a few listens, my favorite tracks are...

JOHN THE REVELATOR
SUFFER WELL
PRECIOUS
MACRO (surprised to hear not too many are fond with this tune)
LILIAN

Goodstuff :up:

Seems like this album is getting many positive opinions, so I'll probably have to pick it up. I had my doubts since I thought Exciter was just ok, but the general consensus has been pretty good so far.

phanan said:
Seems like this album is getting many positive opinions, so I'll probably have to pick it up. I had my doubts since I thought Exciter was just ok, but the general consensus has been pretty good so far.

Read the Pitchfork review. Believe it or not, it's painfully insightful and sums up pretty much everything quite well. Read it, read yourself through it, and then figure them shits out. It'll do you well, my friend.

I only listened to Exciter a couple times before shelving it. A bit too boring for my taste. So I'm a bit wary of this one. Say what you want about Ultra but at least it had balls. I don't want to download it but I don't want to pay for it either. A used copy is the best way to go...

I just found the Devotional tour videotape for $1. Brings back a lot of memories. I was lucky to get like 3rd row center for that tour. Although I thought the curtain dropped a lot sooner in Higher Love. When they busted out the guitar and drumkit on I Feel You I remember freaking the fuck out.

anyway, those were back in Anton's glory days when he was doing cool shit like One Caress. The above mentioned Electrical Storm video (although that half-baked song didn't deserve a great video anyway) combined with the atrocious cover of HTDAAB has led me to believe that, yes, he has lost his way.

Maybe he can find it again in the 4 years before the next U2 album ACTUALLY comes out.

i generally agree with the pitchfork review actually. i don't think this album will blow away non-fans, but as someone who likes dm, it is definitely a better album than i was expecting from them at this point in their career.

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel

The latest and one of the greatest DM albums in a long time!

Who's got it?

What do you think?

Standout tracks include:

Suffer Well (great words and great beat. I wanna dance!)
John The Revelator (ROCKS!! Has similarities to Personal Jesus)
Lilian (VERY catchy)
I Want It All (absolutely beautiful)...

Ah damn, all the tracks are brilliant! :applaud:

DM are back stronger than ever...up there with U2!!!

I got it.

In general, it is good. I am still in the process of analyzation though...:hmm:

I don't believe it is stronger than Violator though. Definitely not.

I've trashed about half the songs off my iPod, but I really like the ones I kept:
Pain that i'm Used To
Suffer Well
John The Revelator (my favorite)
Precious
Nothing's Impossible

and I kinda like Lilian

Back
Top Bottom