MERGED-->Computer Help - Need ASAP + New MSFT Virus Fix + Windows Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Computer Help - Need ASAP

Tonight I was on my computer, when I got a popup box that said this:

"System Shutdown... some stuff I didn't have time to write down...Shutdown initiated by NT Authority/System", then

"Windows must now restart because the RPC (?! I didn't have time to write what it stood for, either) server terminated unexpectedly."

Then it shut down after about 59 seconds (there was a countdown clock).

I unsuccessfully tried to get in contact with a Compaq helpline, and now I am coming here (before it does it again; it's happened 3 times so far tonight, first time ever.)

:help: Thank you. PS- I have a Compaq FS740.

Sounds like maybe there was an error and it forced it to shutdown. :shrug: Not sure though. Is it working fine after it rebooted? What were you doing when you got that message? Was it just a popup like a pm or did you screen turn blue or black?

20 questions :laugh:

The same thing has been happening to me all nite!
Called my isp and It's because I haven't downloaded
the latest windows xp patch! I can't stay online long enough
to get the thing downloaded so my isp is sending me a compressed zip file to try in my e-mail.
Good luck!

yeah i had it too. had to delete some strange exe file and d/l the patch. seem to be working so far.

I've patched mine. That really sucks April, I hope it resolves everything.

I have always said that if Hal-9000 really did take over the world we would be doomed because he'd probably have bugs.

Yes, folks, unfortunately, this is why people need to use Windows Update more often, along with updating their antivirus scanners. The patch for this exploit has been out since July 16th.

Unfortunately, I don't know how well you're going to be able to hit the Windows Update site right now. People infected with the W32.Blaster worm (the same worm causing those RPC errors you're getting) is also instructing all infected computers to launch Denial of Service (DoS) attacks on the Windows Update site, causing it to crash.

Melon

pc troubles again

i only have 60 seconds to type this out, as my pc will resatart on me, so exsuce the spelling

SYSTEM IS BEING SHUTDOWN, SHUTDOWN INTITATED BY NT AUTOHROTY

WINDOWS MUST RESTART BECAUSE THE REMOTE PROCDURE CALL RCP serive termintated...unixedidly

any help?

The other solutions were far more complex, such as blocking certain UDP ports on your computer. Remote computers merely scanned for computers who had this vulnerability and directed your computer to download the worm. The Windows patch is the only real solution.

Melon

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
my IT dept just sent out an email informing us about this new virus.

So did mine. They had warned us last week to get the update, so I think I'm covered for the moment, but it sounds like they've got their hands full.

times like this i'm glad i have windows update run every time there's a critical update. so 99% of the time i hear about things like this, i've installed the patch weeks ago. :)

I got it too. Stooooopid worm. :angry: My understanding was it affected those that did updates yesterday. I never update.... and just yesterday I actually updated my virus scanner, :rolleyes: how ironic, and I get this friggin virus. Anyway... I followed all the instructions and it came back on me before I downloaded the patch... so hopefully I will be ok. *crosses fingers. That system shutdown was a bugger.

not sure if this was posted:
Blaster worm spreading, experts warn of attack

The outbreak is the most serious since the SQL Slammer worm in January

By Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
AUGUST 12, 2003

Content Type: Story
Source: IDG News Service

A new worm that exploits a widespread vulnerability in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system continued its spread today, making the outbreak the most serious since the appearance of the SQL Slammer worm in January, according to security experts.
The worm, referred to alternately as W32.Blaster, the DCOM Worm or Lovsan worm, first appeared on the Internet late yesterday and spread quickly, infecting machines running the Windows XP and Windows 2000 operating systems.

Blaster takes advantage of a known vulnerability in a Windows component called the Distributed Component Object Model interface, which handles messages sent using the remote procedure call (RPC) protocol. RPC is a common protocol that software programs use to request services from other programs running on servers in a networked environment.

Vulnerable systems can be compromised without any interaction from a user, according to Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer at the SANS Internet Storm Center, which monitors threats to the Internet infrastructure.

The Internet Storm Center first detected the new worm around 3 p.m. EDT Aug. 11, and Blaster "took off" within the first hour of appearing, Ullrich said.

Last night, antivirus and computer security firms around the world issued warnings about the new worm and instructed users to patch affected Windows systems and block communications ports used by the worm to spread (see story). By this morning, those warnings appear to have had some effect, Ullrich said.

"The worm has pretty much leveled out now. ISPs [Internet service providers] blocked Port 135, which the worm used for propagation, and we're seeing a limited spread," he said.

A flaw in the worm's code that governs which flavor of exploit to use when compromising a vulnerable machine may also account for the slowdowns, Ullrich said. That flaw caused machines running Windows XP to crash and reboot, temporarily taking the host off-line and tipping off the machine's owner.

Ullrich put the number of machines infected by Blaster at 30,000 worldwide, fewer than the number infected by the Code Red and Nimda worms of 2001, but more than were infected by the recent Slammer worm.

even so, the worm caused problems for the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration, which had to shut down its main offices today.

In a statement on its Web site, the agency said: "All MVA offices across the State closed at noon today, August 12, 2003. This statewide closure is due to a computer virus...."

The agency said all of the MVA offices will be open for business tomorrow.

At the University of Florida in Gainesville, network security engineer Jordan Wiens noticed a surge in attack traffic from an infected computer on the campus network around 3 p.m. EDT yesterday and worked quickly to block the worm's spread by shutting down ports that it uses to copy itself to other vulnerable machines.

The University of Florida uses firewalls and intrusion-detection system software to protect the campus network from Internet-borne attacks, but was probably undone by a user whose machine was infected at home, then connected to the campus network using a dial-up modem, Wiens said. Despite acting quickly to deploy filters to stop Blaster, the university's IT staff was coping with a sizable number of infected computers by 5 p.m. yesterday, he said.

While the worm's spread slowed yesterday evening and early today, the number of infected hosts is still very large, and new infections are likely as home users in Europe and the U.S. return from work and connect to the Internet from unprotected home machines today, according to Mikko Hypponen, manager of antivirus research at F-Secure Corp. in Helsinki, Finland.

The large base of infected machines also has experts worried about a denial-of-service attack that the worm is programmed to launch against Microsoft's automated Windows update Web site starting Aug. 16. Traffic directed at the site, http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, from so many hosts could effectively shut down the service, which is used to distribute software updates and security patches to Microsoft Windows users, Hypponen said.

Unlike the Code Red worm, which contained code for a similar attack against the Internet Protocol address of the White House's main Web server, Blaster targets the http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com domain, preventing Microsoft from simply changing the address of the domain to sidestep the attack, he said.

Microsoft is aware of the denial-of-service threat and is looking at ways to make http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com more resilient against the Blaster worm, as well as future threats, a company spokesman said. That said, the Web site is "extremely resilient" and has never suffered a complete denial of service, he said.

"If there's an attack on Saturday, the worst-case scenario is that the site is slower than normal but not brought to its knees," he said.

Security experts will be holding their breath and waiting for the preprogrammed attacks to start, but those infected by Blaster must now cope with the daunting task of cleaning up affected systems.

The number of infected machines at the University of Florida is still a small fraction of the campus's 20,000 or 30,000 hosts, but cleanup may take a while, especially in departments that are short of IT administrators and that lack software for managing updates across multiple systems, Wiens said.

Because other more subtle attacks using the RPC vulnerability have been circulating for weeks, owners of machines infected by Blaster may also consider doing a fresh installation of the operating system to overwrite any backdoor programs or other malicious code placed on the machine by hackers, Ullrich said.

Blaster's code is small and can be quickly removed using free tools provided by F-Secure as well as other antivirus vendors, Hypponen said. However, customers should patch their systems before removing Blaster to prevent reinfection from the worm, he said.

Security experts also recommend installing firewall and antivirus software to prevent future attacks.

Windows Worm!

I didn't know which forum to post this in, but my home computer has that Windows Blaster Worm that is worldwide. It is terribly annoying, because every six minutes, a message pops up on the screen that says the computer will shut down in 1:00, 0:59, 0:58, and etc... When it gets to 0:00, the :censored: computer shuts down. I am an internet addict, so this is killing me, since it only happens when I get on the internet.

Does anyone else have this? If so, go to www.windows.com to fix it.

This is being discussed in Lemonade Stand so I will move this there and merge it with the other threads. :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
times like this i'm glad i have windows update run every time there's a critical update. so 99% of the time i hear about things like this, i've installed the patch weeks ago. :)

:up: auto updates :up:

There is some evidence that this :censored:ing worm might have helped to cause the power outage.

I hope that stupid virus writer is happy. :|

paxetaurora said:
There is some evidence that this :censored:ing worm might have helped to cause the power outage.

I hope that stupid virus writer is happy. :|

They probably are...it's something to show off about to other idiotic hackers/virus writers/other stupid people.

Bunch of :censored: s.

Back
Top Bottom