MERGED: Coldplay One More Time + Coldplay??? + Chris Martin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, he needs to chill out. I can understand why he got annoyed with the press, they can be an invasive bunch of :censored:'s, but still...................mercy.

I knew I should have gone home to mother for the weekend( I had to work for hub's band..dang nabit)
Seven Mile Beach isn't at Byron Bay..it is my home town, just down the coast a bit. Dang Dang Dang!!
I listened to all the Splendour in the Grass Interviews yesterday...hilarious, sounds like a LOT of fun, even with all the mud. They said Chris went off with his dancing and had a coughing and giggling fit in the middle of a song and was ever so cute :cute: I shoulda oughta been there. I can't imagine the line-up being so good ever again.

I wonder what Jonny Buckland and co. think of the new direction they're heading in

I'm looking forward to the Iron Maiden covers. :hyper:

could you not see Chris bellowing 'Run To The Hills' in between Politik and Scientist?

ooh I think I'm going to go listen to some Maiden now.

:lol: bastardization of Green Eyes from a fan at the coldplay site

[q]Honey you are a rock
covered in Aussie sand
And I come here to talk
but you don't seem to understand .........

Mean eyes, yeah the flashlight, shines upon me
And how could, anybody, deny ME!!!!?

I came here with a Rock
And it feels so much lighter now I met you
And tithead you should know
That you will never go on without ME
Mean eyes

Honey you are the sea
Upon which I Surf
And you came here to stalk
I think you should know..........

That mean eyes, you're the one that I wanted to find
And anyone who tried to deny ME, must be out of their mind

Because I came here with a Rock
And i feel like such a fighter since I met you
tithead, you should know
That I will follow you wherever you go
Mean eyes, Mean eyes

Oh oh oh oh (x4) OUCH...(that hurt mummy)

Honey you are a rock
covered in Aussie sand.[/q]

:| now this is just sad if this is true.
i kinda feel sorry for Gwyneth.

[q]Will Gwyneth and Chris split?
by RICHARD SIMPSON, Evening Standard

hey are the golden couple. Gwyneth Paltrow and her rock star fiance Chris Martin seem the perfect celebrity romance.

But now friends fear the pressures of media attention may have brought them to the brink of splitting up after a string of blazing rows.

As Martin, 26, was today ordered to appear in court in Australia for damaging a photographer's car, it emerged that neighbours of Paltrow's Belgravia flat have reported a shouting match which ended with the actress telling Martin: "I can't go on like this".

The row - clearly audible through the apartment's balcony windows which had been flung wide open in last week's heat - came after the couple returned from a walk around shops in Knightsbridge.

It fast became a circus when they were pursued by five photographers and autograph hunters.

After the row, Martin flew out to start a tour of Australia with his band Coldplay, leaving Paltrow, 30, alone in the apartment.

She is believed to have made up with the singer later and flown out to join him.

The couple's relationship is also under pressure since Paltrow is torn between living with Martin in London and returning to the US to be with her mother, Blythe Danner, after the death of her father Bruce.

It was against that background that Martin was arrested yesterday after allegedly "losing it" and attacking a photographer's car with a rock and letting down its tyres.

Martin does not drink, smoke or take drugs and is known for being level-headed and mild-mannered, but in an astonishing change of character, he rowed with the freelance photographer yesterday after he was snapped surfing at Byron Bay, New South Wales.

Photographer John Lister, 47, said: "I followed him to the beach south of Byron Bay and photographed him surfing.

"He saw what I was doing and came out of the water and asked me to delete the images. He was a bit upset - for some reason he didn't want to be photographed surfing in his wetsuit.

"I refused as I said it was a public beach and I was allowed to take pictures there.

"He was quite aggressive and obviously very unhappy with me, and he just lost it.

"I was walking back to my Jeep and he ran ahead of me and started hitting it with a rock.

"Then he began to let the air out of the tyres. I wasn't frightened of him, just angry, and shouted at him.

"So he shouted 'Don't take any more f***ing pictures', then ran away."

Martin will face court in Byron Bay on 8 October charged with malicious damage.

A friend said: "Gwyneth is still distraught by the death of her father and has hardly worked since then.

"That is strain enough on their relationship and the added pressure of fame is making matters worse."

Her engagement ring was absent when they strolled around London last week. [/q]

You know, two days ago, I would have probably agreed with most of you. I won't even tell you what I have been listening to the last couple days, but, to make it short, I no longer ascribe to music elitism.

*thinks the "Clocks (Illicit White Label Remix)" is cool. :angry:

Melon

I was at the Splendour festival over the weekend and Coldplay were fantastic. Thats the 4th time I've seen them, but only the first since Rush... came out, loved Politik and In My Place.
The Music were also incredible. I think they could end up being a big big band.

I don't know why celebs still attack photographers. I understand them being pissed off, but if they are pissed off at the attention, whats the point in creating way more attention? I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time around Coldplay once about 2 1/2 yrs ago, along time before they were 'huge' and you'd never imagine a guy like Chris Martin going nuts like that. The surf must have been bloody cold.

Last edited:
i wish i saw them when they were on tour for Parachutes. At least i saw a few songs from that tour a few weeks ago on HBO. I have enjoyed all of the concerts that i have been to for the ROBTTH tour. :D

and yeah that is unfortunate about Chris snapping like that. A person can only tolerante lso much stress. He is human after all and i am sure it is just stressful being on the road and having to be in the spotlight. i can't imagine how annoying it must be for him or any celeb to have their personal life invaded by the papparrzi. it is crap that he cannot be able to enjoy a simple pleasure like going to the beach with out being photographed. :slant:

ironmaiden.jpg

never let me near paint again. done in five minutes. not even funny, but well, perhaps it shows how pathetic my current existence is right now.

I have no idea.

I'm not even a fan, I just know the odd song here and there. They're not really my type of music but I thought it'd be interesting to see bands that don't sound remotely like Iron Maiden try to play them.

oh well. the first time I heard '1.36' I got a bit of a surprise because it's the most un-Coldplay thing Coldplay have done. I still haven't seen God Put A Smile, but I suppose I will in due time.

You know, I really don't think being a library clerk is such a bad life. No photographers, no press, nobody follows me to the Planet Smoothie place up the street from work, etc, etc. Relatively little pressure, believe it or not. We just have to get all of the books shelved and the shelves dusted. The head librarian takes most of the pressure.

nice article that was posted on the Coldplay Message Board:

[q]Coldplay's Champion Clears Up Band Rumors

Coldplay blow into Australia as the biggest new British band of 2003 in America. Formed just six years ago after meeting at a London college and with a reputation for being down to earth good guys, they're playing to larger crowds than their nearest rivals, Radiohead. The U.S. media is acclaiming them as the new U2. The "Los Angeles Times" chuckled that Coldplay leader Chris Martin was to be "fitted for a halo" as the heir to "St. Bono's crown".

All which is perturbing to drummer Will Champion. "I honestly don't know how to answer that," he mumbles. "Coldplay aren't into competing with other bands, all we're interested in is to get better as a band." Last month Coldplay played some massive shows in the U.S. These included the legendary Hollywood Bowl to a total of 34,000 fans where they met Brian Wilson backstage, the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver where U2's Stateside fortunes changed forever, and Madison Square Gardens in New York. $46 tickets were exchanging hands for $800 outside the venues. (The Hollywood Bowl show, with a brilliant lighting show, was to have been recorded for a DVD. But Champion says that they might shoot their DVD during their Australian trip).

These shows still might not touch Glastonbury 2002 as Coldplay's most special gig ("It was the first time we played songs off the new album, there were 80,000 to 90,000 there, and that memory will last with me forever") but "Clocks" is exploding all over radio, and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" is back in the U.S. Top 20 after six months in the stores. Martin accompanied his girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow to the A-list bar mitzvah of Steven Spielberg's daughter; remains a rock star who doesn't smoke, drink or swear; and he's shaved his head. In September, Martin travels to the World Trade Organisation meeting in Cancun, Mexico, to meet with UN Secretary Kofi Annan and politicians to show that people are genuinely concerned about issues as unfair employment conditions.

They've been introducing new songs like "Poor Me" and "Moses" about Paltrow ("Like Moses had power over the sea/ So you've got power over me") into the set. The latest is "The World Turns Upside Down" which Martin finished writing on the afternoon of the second Hollywood Bowl show and which they played that night. "There are about three or four more songs in the works," reports Champion. "We tend to write songs on the road and work them out at soundchecks. We're going into the studios in November."

Coldplay might ask their audiences, "Do you still like us?" but their stardom is nothing they're reluctant about. "Even before we started work on the second album we sensed Coldplay was going to go into another league. The songs were designed for larger venues. We're a band that likes playing these larger places. We don't necessary tend to use the whole space, but we roam a bit. People are a long way off in the audience, so you have to work to include them."

But as they continue their rise, Coldplay also are working to maintain who they are. They've grown from "one song wonders" (read: "Yellow") to a set with a number of highs, including "Clocks", "The Scientist" and "In My Place". They distance the band from the Paltrow/Martin tabloid circus, and try to keep on the thin line between making interesting videos and turning into glam-horses.

"I don't watch music video shows, only a handful that I think are good. 98% of music videos are terrible. We struggle with videos. We're not good at coming up with ideas. We leave it to the directors. I liked the one for 'The Scientist'. That's the one where everything is going backwards, from a horrifying car accident back to happy times. We shot some bits in a forest outside London which was also used as the battleground in the movie 'Gladiator'. The clip for 'Clocks' was good too, weird, in places but still emphasising we're a live band."

What does he remember most about the sessions for "Clocks"? "We'd ended the album but we just needed another kind of song. The piano riff had been in Chris' head for a month. It came together quickly in the studio, quite exciting."

What's his attitude to stage props? "We had a lit up globe (of the world) which was on Chris' piano, it was on the cover of the first album. We used to say it was our symbol of our ambition to conquer the world. The truth was, it was all we could afford in those early days. I don't go for stage props in a big way. A good light show and a good sound engineer is all we need. We have a big light show, there were 300 moving lights at the Hollywood Bowl show."

What's the best rumour he's heard about Coldplay? "Last year there were all these stories that Coldplay were splitting up. I heard a recent one that we don't drink, which I can tell you categorically is not true. There's also one that backstage, Chris and Gwyneth demand a private place where no other band member can go into, which is also utter nonsense." Are Coldplay really that po faced? "We're not interesting in interviews, so it's not surprising we come across like that. When we're in our element, or onstage, we're relaxed and different, I guess. When we're out for the night, we have fun."

Among their backstage riders, Coldplay ask for postcards with stamps. It's one way to keep in touch with their loved ones in Britain. Champion gets very homesick. He rings home every day, and Coldplay fly family members to various shows around the world. There are no diva-type affectations. When Coldplay have four days off in August, all Champion wants to do is to chill out with his girlfriend in their London flat. They rehearse for some major UK festivals, do South America in September and then work on the next album.

What does he do on tour to entertain himself? "I've started to compile my own travel guide for each city. So when I come back, I know the best restaurants, the best bars and the best record stores. I used to keep a journal in the early days of Coldplay, but it took too long, and to be honest, there weren't that interesting things happening to justify it! I guess it's more interesting looking into the bubble than you are looking out."[/q]

btw rumor has it they dropped "Green Eyes" from their set list because of Gwenyth. :rolleyes: apparently Chris did not feel right singing it because it is not about Gwenyth.

well that was worth waiting up for.
Coldplay appeared on ROVE live in Australia last night. Chris martin did his first ever chat show( they carefully did not mention THE incident, just toyed with it slightly) Chris was quite uncomfortable and natural and funny and he couldn't stop eating the jelly beans on the table :lmao:
They closed the show with a live performance of God Put A Smile On My Face:)
I have it and the J Files on tape. When y'all come to Oz to see U2 , we can sneak off somewhere and have a Coldplay Hour:yes:

Chris talked about making "The Scientist" film clip and how he learned to sing some of it backwards. He said it sounded like Sigur Ros...I still haven't heard the yet, s'ppose I'll listen to Colplay backwards...when I buy their CD.
What a honey that boy is...imho

Freewheeling Chris Martin -JJJ

first up...apologies for not merging with the coldplay thread, me bad. I only have a few minutes and I think this could be good news for some. Forgive please....

Sunday 5 pm ( Australian eastern Time) Triple J have Chris Martin on the "freewheeling " show. They invite in a musical guest to play songs that have meaning for them and talk about...stuff. I love that kind of thing, I thought maybe some of you would too. I have a long held dream that U2 will one day program RAGE our music video clip show.
Coldplay are also being featured on "Live at the Wireless " on Monday night.
You can listen to Triple J online
http://www.triplej.abc.net.au/
:heart:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
nice article that was posted on the Coldplay Message Board:

[q]Coldplay's Champion Clears Up Band Rumors

Coldplay blow into Australia as the biggest new British band of 2003 in America. Formed just six years ago after meeting at a London college and with a reputation for being down to earth good guys, they're playing to larger crowds than their nearest rivals, Radiohead. The U.S. media is acclaiming them as the new U2. The "Los Angeles Times" chuckled that Coldplay leader Chris Martin was to be "fitted for a halo" as the heir to "St. Bono's crown".

All which is perturbing to drummer Will Champion. "I honestly don't know how to answer that," he mumbles. "Coldplay aren't into competing with other bands, all we're interested in is to get better as a band." Last month Coldplay played some massive shows in the U.S. These included the legendary Hollywood Bowl to a total of 34,000 fans where they met Brian Wilson backstage, the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver where U2's Stateside fortunes changed forever, and Madison Square Gardens in New York. $46 tickets were exchanging hands for $800 outside the venues. (The Hollywood Bowl show, with a brilliant lighting show, was to have been recorded for a DVD. But Champion says that they might shoot their DVD during their Australian trip).

These shows still might not touch Glastonbury 2002 as Coldplay's most special gig ("It was the first time we played songs off the new album, there were 80,000 to 90,000 there, and that memory will last with me forever") but "Clocks" is exploding all over radio, and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" is back in the U.S. Top 20 after six months in the stores. Martin accompanied his girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow to the A-list bar mitzvah of Steven Spielberg's daughter; remains a rock star who doesn't smoke, drink or swear; and he's shaved his head. In September, Martin travels to the World Trade Organisation meeting in Cancun, Mexico, to meet with UN Secretary Kofi Annan and politicians to show that people are genuinely concerned about issues as unfair employment conditions.

They've been introducing new songs like "Poor Me" and "Moses" about Paltrow ("Like Moses had power over the sea/ So you've got power over me") into the set. The latest is "The World Turns Upside Down" which Martin finished writing on the afternoon of the second Hollywood Bowl show and which they played that night. "There are about three or four more songs in the works," reports Champion. "We tend to write songs on the road and work them out at soundchecks. We're going into the studios in November."

Coldplay might ask their audiences, "Do you still like us?" but their stardom is nothing they're reluctant about. "Even before we started work on the second album we sensed Coldplay was going to go into another league. The songs were designed for larger venues. We're a band that likes playing these larger places. We don't necessary tend to use the whole space, but we roam a bit. People are a long way off in the audience, so you have to work to include them."

But as they continue their rise, Coldplay also are working to maintain who they are. They've grown from "one song wonders" (read: "Yellow") to a set with a number of highs, including "Clocks", "The Scientist" and "In My Place". They distance the band from the Paltrow/Martin tabloid circus, and try to keep on the thin line between making interesting videos and turning into glam-horses.

"I don't watch music video shows, only a handful that I think are good. 98% of music videos are terrible. We struggle with videos. We're not good at coming up with ideas. We leave it to the directors. I liked the one for 'The Scientist'. That's the one where everything is going backwards, from a horrifying car accident back to happy times. We shot some bits in a forest outside London which was also used as the battleground in the movie 'Gladiator'. The clip for 'Clocks' was good too, weird, in places but still emphasising we're a live band."

What does he remember most about the sessions for "Clocks"? "We'd ended the album but we just needed another kind of song. The piano riff had been in Chris' head for a month. It came together quickly in the studio, quite exciting."

What's his attitude to stage props? "We had a lit up globe (of the world) which was on Chris' piano, it was on the cover of the first album. We used to say it was our symbol of our ambition to conquer the world. The truth was, it was all we could afford in those early days. I don't go for stage props in a big way. A good light show and a good sound engineer is all we need. We have a big light show, there were 300 moving lights at the Hollywood Bowl show."

What's the best rumour he's heard about Coldplay? "Last year there were all these stories that Coldplay were splitting up. I heard a recent one that we don't drink, which I can tell you categorically is not true. There's also one that backstage, Chris and Gwyneth demand a private place where no other band member can go into, which is also utter nonsense." Are Coldplay really that po faced? "We're not interesting in interviews, so it's not surprising we come across like that. When we're in our element, or onstage, we're relaxed and different, I guess. When we're out for the night, we have fun."

Among their backstage riders, Coldplay ask for postcards with stamps. It's one way to keep in touch with their loved ones in Britain. Champion gets very homesick. He rings home every day, and Coldplay fly family members to various shows around the world. There are no diva-type affectations. When Coldplay have four days off in August, all Champion wants to do is to chill out with his girlfriend in their London flat. They rehearse for some major UK festivals, do South America in September and then work on the next album.

What does he do on tour to entertain himself? "I've started to compile my own travel guide for each city. So when I come back, I know the best restaurants, the best bars and the best record stores. I used to keep a journal in the early days of Coldplay, but it took too long, and to be honest, there weren't that interesting things happening to justify it! I guess it's more interesting looking into the bubble than you are looking out."[/q]

btw rumor has it they dropped "Green Eyes" from their set list because of Gwenyth. :rolleyes: apparently Chris did not feel right singing it because it is not about Gwenyth.

Good article :wink: but lame reason to drop "Green Eyes" :mad:

haha...yertle, that is funny...your paint skills are far superior to mine

woops...I misheard, Saturday , not Sunday:(

I got home from soccer this evening, so cold...it was cold play...so as to speak.
So I lit the fire, started making dinner and THEN turned on the radio.... and who should I hear?

Freewheeling Chris Martin.!!! I missed half of it :( I had intended to tape it. It was a fascinating show imho.....and of course he paid homage to U2 saying, "everything we do is inspired by New Year's Day".....

alas...I missed half of it.

I did transcribe some of what he said...if yer interested.
He played
The Music
Nick Cave
Echo and the Bunnymen
Stone Roses
Jane's Addiction

He talked about the importance of guitarists , including The Edge:)

some of his quotes...
" I was not cool , only 12 in 1989 and listened to...I don't want to admit it...A-Ha"
" I thought, wow! fuckin' hell, this is amazing."
"We are fucking good, I have to admit that"
"Are you sentimental at heart?"..."everyone has huge amounts of emotion stored in them"

He finished the set by saying.."thanks Australia, for looking after us" and selected to play Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world"

oh yeah
:heart:

Back
Top Bottom