MERGED-->Chronicles of Narnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chronicles of Narnia

Who's going to see it? I'm going tomorrow...opening day. I love it when we don't have school on Fridays that movies are coming out on. We were off the Friday that Harry Potter 4 came out too...:happy:

merge.jpg

I saw it late last night. I was hoping for more. Was a little more "childish" than I was expecting but a good movie overall.

The biblical parallels are numerous and blatant. I wish more movies contained a positive message like this one does.

boosterjuice said:
I saw it late last night. I was hoping for more. Was a little more "childish" than I was expecting but a good movie overall.

The biblical parallels are numerous and blatant. I wish more movies contained a positive message like this one does.

Exactly

I think the "childish" essence of the film was what was best of it. When it tried to be Lord of the Rings it wasn't as strong. This story isn't about the chase. It isn't about dwarfs who only live over here, ghosts who live over there, hobbits who live over there etc. It isn't confusing...it's straightforward children's fantasy.
C.S. Lewis is one of the greatest writers - great poetry, great prose, great theology/philosophy, great stories etc.

well, the book is "childish" :|

I'm a big fan of this saga, good movie, I was expecting for a little more, great adaptation, but the fx sometimes seemed like... exaggerated

I'd never read the books, but vaguely remember watching the animated TV version that was on when I was much younger, so I went in not really knowing what to expect, and only had a vague recollection of the story.

It was very, very good. Much better than I had anticipated. Tilda Swinton was great as the witch.

boosterjuice said:

My wife and son saw it Friday and just loved it. I hope to see it soon.

It is interesting that CS Lewis called the books "not Christian-books, but books by a Christian man" and that the alagory was not developed before he wrote the books, but became apparent when he finished the books.

I'm curious to see this, the preview looks interesting.

I've only read this book two months ago (new translation was published here to coincide with the movie), despite hearing about it several times before.

blueyedpoet said:
When it tried to be Lord of the Rings it wasn't as strong.

that was extremely annoying, and went on for like 85% of the movie. :| um...orc battle being led by some ice queen who suddenly bears a striking resemblence to david bowie in labyrinth?

i haven't read the book in over a decade, but i have absolutly no memory of all the sibling rivalry stuff. i swear the magnified it times 20, if it even existed at all, and then in that case they totally made it up. nice to see edmund get a stronger motive for being a douchebag (i thought he just got seduced by his gluttonous sweet tooth, but as i said...can't remember too clearly), i guess.

I've just seen it, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Tilda Swinton was great, as usual. It's one of the better adaptations i've seen in recent years, and since everyone I know draws the comparisons, I think it was better than any of the Harry Potter adaptations.
I'll take this chance to pimp the score too. Harry Gregson-Williams did it brilliantly.

I saw it today, finally. It was all right.

I think the biggest difference is simply the source material--LOTR is a wonderfully complex, richly developed world and Narnia is a story. (And I LOVED Narnia as a kid, and didn't read LOTR until I was an adult, now it pales in comparison.)

I'm rereading the book and I'd only gotten to the beavers by the time I saw the movie, so I'll have to see if my memory lines up...but I remember being really scared by the wolves, and the White Witch. And I didn't really get a sense of menace, and spies, and evil from her. She was just the bad guy. Compare that with Sauron, who is just a giant eye, but is far scarier.

And with Peter Jackson, you had someone who LOVED the source material. This is just an adaptation. All areas of dramatic tension were blown--the Stone Table started off well, but just didn't have the emotion. And his resurrection...it was like where's Aslan, oh right there, cool!! Yay!

I would like to see Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader done, as those were my favorite books. They've greenlighted Prince Caspian.

Mr. Tumnus was disturbingly attractive, as was Peter. And I loved their costumes as adults--gorgeous.

when i was a kid i read these books over and over again. last year after a surgery i had time to read them again. i remember there being tons of detail about the settings, characters etc. I did not find such detail. C.S. Lewis actually did something even more remarkable than creating this universe in exact detail - he painted broad strokes in such a way as to allow the reader to create for themselves the details. I then later read about how this actually was his intent. I guess literary classes do end up paying off.

U2girl said:
I'm curious to see this, the preview looks interesting.

I've only read this book two months ago (new translation was published here to coincide with the movie), despite hearing about it several times before.

I saw it last week as it was re-played as one of the Oscar winning movies here.

While it's true at times the movie wants to be LOTR, the adaptation was done well. Loved all the animals and I think they did the sibling rivarly well, the witch is great.
I think they did the Table scene well. I was choking at that in the book and the movie.

Back
Top Bottom