MERGED-->Chris Penn found dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
Chris Penn found dead

Actor Chris Penn Dead At 40

POSTED: 8:49 pm PST January 24, 2006
UPDATED: 9:01 pm PST January 24, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- Actor Chris Penn, brother of Sean Penn, was found dead Tuesday at a condominium near the beach in Santa Monica, police said.

Police said they discovered the 40-year-old actor's body around 4 p.m. Lt. Frank Fabrega said there were no obvious signs of foul play.

Sean Penn's publicist, Mara Buxbaum, issued a statement saying that "the Penn family would appreciate the media's respect of their privacy during this difficult time."

Chris Penn's body was found inside the four-story condominium complex after police were called by someone from within the building, Fabrega said.

An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death, authorities said.

Chris Penn's credits included "Mulholland Falls," "Rumble Fish," "All the Right Moves," "Footloose" and "Rush Hour." He also played Nice Guy Eddie Cabot in the 1992 Quentin Tarantino crime drama "Reservoir Dogs."

His late father, Leo Penn, directed television shows. His mother, Eileen Ryan, is an actress whose credits include "I Am Sam," "Magnolia" and "Parenthood." Another brother is musician Michael Penn.

Chris Penn's latest film, "The Darwin Awards," was scheduled to premiere Wednesday at the Sundance Film Festival.

Heard it on the radio driving in this morning...very sad.
At his weight I'd guess heart attack, but we'll have to wait and see.
Way way too young.

saw this on eonline.com

REMEMBERED: Chris Penn, star of Reservoir Dogs and brother to Sean and Michael, found dead in his Santa Monica, California, home. He was 40. An autopsy suggests Penn died of natural or accidental causes, but an official cause of death won't be released until toxicology tests come back in about six weeks.

Wow, it takes THAT long for toxicology results to come through? On TV all those CSI type shows make it seem like they get the info so easily and quickly in these cases. The poor family will have to wait that much longer until they have answers. That is so sad. And age 40 is much too young to die.

That is so sad :(
I found out today from a coworker...the strange part was yesterday we were talking about Michael Penn cause she actually knew who he was and I'm a huge fan of his music and everytime I mention him I get blank faces...and then the conversation turned to Sean Penn cause I was telling her how he's my favorite actor and it took me a long time to realize their relation despite the obvious same last name:reject:

Carek1230 said:
Wow, it takes THAT long for toxicology results to come through? On TV all those CSI type shows make it seem like they get the info so easily and quickly in these cases. The poor family will have to wait that much longer until they have answers. That is so sad. And age 40 is much too young to die.

thats cuz its in the script ! :wink:

it CAN take up to 6 weeks I would guess. but im sure a high profile actor like him his goes all the way to the front...
i dunno if those things have realease times for family and then another for public interest.

people.com

Costars and crewmembers of The Darwin Awards remembered the late Chris Penn at the movie's Sundance premiere on Wednesday.

The 6', 4", 310-lb. Penn, 40, was found dead in his Santa Monica condominium on Tuesday. The cause remained undetermined despite an autopsy performed Wednesday just hours before the Sundance premiere.

"It's very sad for all of us," Darwin costar Wilmer Valderrama told PEOPLE about Penn's death. In the film, which stars Winona Ryder and Joseph Fiennes and is based on the Web site that lists gross real-life examples of human folly, Penn appears as a driver who makes the fatal mistake of pulling on to very thin ice.

"Winona stood up tonight after the screening and talked about how amazing he was and how much we all loved him," said Valderrama. "She wanted to acknowledge what had just happened, and it was very sweet."

Valderrama called Penn "an incredibly talented actor and just a very wonderful person. It's so sad. We all feel it's a very big loss."

After the screening, Ryder said of Penn during a question-and-answer session: "I really hope people go back and watch his movies, because he was such a fantastic actor, and he is going to be so missed. ... Not just Sean Penn's little brother, you know? He was Chris Penn."

Toxicology tests have been ordered on Penn, which Los Angeles County coroner's spokeswoman Brenda Shafer said is "just normal procedure for someone who's 40 and has not seen their doctor."

Penn's body was discovered in a bed inside his residence, located in a four-story condominium complex near the beach, said Capt. Ed Winter of the county coroner's office. Penn's housekeeper called authorities to the condominium complex, Winter said.

Penn, with more than 50 credits to his name, appeared in such films as Reservoir Dogs, At Close Range, Mulholland Falls, Short Cuts and Footloose.

The California-native hailed from a show-business family: In addition to his Oscar-winning brother Sean, his brother Michael is a musician; his father, Leo, was a TV director; and mother Eileen Ryan is an actress who appeared in the films I Am Sam and Magnolia.

Sean Penn, 45, is said to have gone into seclusion since learning of his brother's passing.

02-13) 16:21 PST Los Angeles (AP) --

Actor Chris Penn died accidentally from an enlarged heart and the effects of a mix of multiple medications, the county coroner's office said Monday.

"There is absolutely no indication that this is anything but an accident," chief coroner investigator Craig Harvey said.

Penn, 40, the younger brother of Sean Penn, was found dead in his Santa Monica condominium on Jan. 24, but the results of his autopsy and toxicology tests were not released until Monday.

The primary cause of death was "nonspecific cardiomyopathy," an oversized heart, with the "effects of multiple medication intake," according to a statement issued by the coroner's office.

"We know he had several prescriptions, including promethazine with codeine, which featured predominantly in his death," Harvey said.

Promethazine with codeine is known as a highly addictive prescription cough syrup. Promethazine is an antihistamine which prevents vomiting, while codeine suppresses coughing and relieves pain, Harvey said.

"We don't know how much he ingested or when," Harvey said. "There are a lot of 'what ifs' to be factored in."

A full coroner's report with further details will be available in a few weeks, Harvey said.

Penn's heart weighed 700 grams, a few hundred grams more than an average heart. Harvey said Penn was not taking heart medication at the time of his death.

Thank you for this update, I have been wondering if any more news had come about following Chris Penn's death, and how Sean is doing since the loss of his brother. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom