MERGED--> Books? + What are you reading other than this board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are reading (other than this thread)?

I am reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Bought it when it came out, never bothered to read it.

Before that I read Feast for Crows by George RR Martin. It's the 4th book in an incredible historical fantasy series.

I'm reading Birds without wings by Louis De Bernieres&so far it's excellent :up:

A few others i've read include Big Brother, Lord of the rings, The Hobbit,A tale of two cities, Jane Eyre&2 Rebus novels!

I'm reading the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker, and re-reading certain parts of the various Harry Potter books.

beau2ifulday said:
I'm reading the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker

I 'had' to read them for my A2 level (well, it was 'recommended'). Regeneration is great (I thought so anyway, everyone else seemed to disagree) but I hated the first few chapters of the second book ( :barf: then :confused: then :yawn: and also, I really couldn't care less about Prior, did she have to dedicate the WHOLE book to him?!), never finished it so never started the third and the whole set is now gathering dust on my bookshelf.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
Oscar Wilde (Biography) by Richard Ellman

will, you miserable bahhhstard :wink:

i'm reading that memoirs of a geisha book right now. didn't like the movie but my aunt gave me the book & said it was good. :shrug:

i also just started reading all the presidents men, about watergate. i tried reading jaworski's book but it was way too detailed for my knowlege level and focused too much on where he picked up. maybe i'll go back to it once i have a better overview.

also i'm rereading the 2nd harry potter book, but i'm always sort of reading one of those to some extent...

and also reading fahrenheit 451 for the ol' school.

it sounds like i'm reading a lot but i really don't read much each day. :lol:

I'm sort of reading The End of Poverty by Sachs....but I barely have time to read so it's taken my like a month to get to page 30 :lol: :reject: I usually finish books in a few days. And we're starting The Great Gatsby next week for school.

Let's see...The Jungle by Upton Sinclair for school, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger also for school, some collection of long stories by J.D. Salinger school again, and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller for myself. :D

I read Memoirs of a Geisha about a month ago and really liked it...Chronicles by Bob Dylan was excellent :up: ...I'll think of more later...

VertigoGal said:
will, you miserable bahhhstard :wink:

I'm also reading a lot of books relating to the education of adults and indeed a history of Anglo Irish literature.

So the question is how much more of a miserable bastard do I seem to be now?

:wink:

I nearly forgot Tolstoy's "What Is Art?" although it's really a collection of essays.

Mostly reading modernist plays right now... we're doing a production of Bergman's Nora (Ibsen's A Doll's House - but more intense). So I've read Ibsen, Strindberg's Miss Julie, Shaw's Candida, and now reading Chekov's Three Sisters.

The other classes I'm taking are Improv and Logic, which are really no books/textbook.

And with theatre, tutoring, residence life duties, and pizza delivery all on the table, I really don't have time to do anything for pleasure whatsoever. I'm thinking about trying to scarf down Wicked before I go see the musical, despite the brief time and the knowledge I have of huge discrepancies between the book and the play.

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha and highly recommend it, great read! Now I've just started Breakfast on Pluto by Patrick McCabe. I like his writing. I read Call Me the Breeze last year and since have been looking for his other books, so I have now collected 6 of them which I plan to read in succession: The Dead School, Carn, Emerald Gems of Ireland, Mondo Desperado and The Butcher Boy.

TheQuiet1 said:

I 'had' to read them for my A2 level (well, it was 'recommended'). Regeneration is great (I thought so anyway, everyone else seemed to disagree) but I hated the first few chapters of the second book ( :barf: then :confused: then :yawn: and also, I really couldn't care less about Prior, did she have to dedicate the WHOLE book to him?!), never finished it so never started the third and the whole set is now gathering dust on my bookshelf.

......but I hope at least you're enjoying them beau2ifulday! :D

I'm currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

Not a clue what I will read next, I'm quite fussy when it comes to choosing a book to read :silent:

Thanks for the tip VertigoGal :wink: my friend has been reading it recently and he's been raving about it too so i've been thinking along the lines of reading it and then i can go&see the film, knowing the plot! :D However, i'm quite a slow reader&wouldn't be good enough to read it in a few hours, never mind a few days! I'd love to be better at stuff like that!

Btw, i read some of your journal&i do actually think about things like the plane thing, you know wondering who's on it and stuff! :wink:

for school I'm reading 'The Color Purple'.

but right now I'm reading 'A Clockwork Orange' for myself and afterwards, I'm planning on reading 'Animal Farm'. Then after that I'm planning on reading 'Pride and Prejudice'. Then after that I'm planning on reading 'The Satanic Verses'. Then some other books..

I love books and enjoy reading on my spare time. Is it that obvious? :reject:

I had to read 'The Color Purple' for school last year. I didn't really enjoy it :reject:

I also had to study 'Animal Farm' for my GCSEs. I :heart: that book. I much prefer it to 1984. :reject:

TheQuiet1 said:

I also had to study 'Animal Farm' for my GCSEs. I :heart: that book. I much prefer it to 1984. :reject:

I'm exactly the opposite...I read 1984 on my own, then thought that I'd read Animal Farm and didn't like it at all. I :heart: George Orwell though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom