MERGED ---> Best Rock 'n Roll Yell! + Yeaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Best Rock 'n Roll Yell!

I've been debating where to post this. If it should be moved, I really am sorry.

So, I was listening to All Because of You yesterday. You know the part where he's all like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAOOW!

I think that is one of the better yells in a rock song I've heard in a little while.

However, It has no comparison to the greatest yell EVER which, of course, is The Who in "Won't get Fooled Again".

Now this got me to thinking. What are some other great screams in the history of ROCK!!
Carry on...

Yeah, that's right up there.

My personal favorite is Courtney Love screaming "FUCK YOU!" in the middle of "I Think That I Would Die", off Live Through This.

Every time I hear it, I have to rewind it and hear it at least once more. I don't think I've ever heard something so raw and painful on a record.

... maybe Kurt Cobain at the end of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night," but that doesn't count as a yell. You know, more along the lines of "guttural moan of pain and hey, I'm going to blow my brains out soon."

Even though I don't particularly like the band, I think Steven Tyler/Aerosmith can let's a monster of a scream out at the end of "Dream On".

:yikes:

Peter Gabriel, the Secret World Live EP, Mercy Street (I believe this song was recorded during the So tour).

He lets out a series of blood curling primal screams at the end of the song. Chilling, cathartic.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan really belts it during Peter Gabriel's Signal To Noise.

BonoManiac said:
Howard Dean
Oh wow, you made choke on my drink :lmao:

SeattleVertigo said:
Peter Gabriel, the Secret World Live EP, Mercy Street (I believe this song was recorded during the So tour).

He lets out a series of blood curling primal screams at the end of the song. Chilling, cathartic.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan really belts it during Peter Gabriel's Signal To Noise.

Is this on the Secret World DVD? I haven't watched it in a while, but I want to see this if it is (I can't find my DVD at the moment to check for myself) I'm pretty sure it's not because I seem to recall a complaint many people had was that it's not on the DVD but Mercy Street is one of my favorite songs by him

Frank Black. I'm thinking specifically of his scream in the middle of the version of "Vamos" from Surfer Rosa, but in general I'm convinced his scream must have super powers.

End of thread. :wink:

- Fish's blood-curdling "Aaaaaaaaaaamen" in Marillion's Forgotten Sons.
- James LaBrie near the end of Dream Theater's Learning To Live, the part where he hits the highest note he's put on an album.

And, well, it's by no means the best, but I have an affection for "no spoken words, just a scream" and I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet.

corianderstem said:
I wonder if Daltrey can still do it? :hmm:
I was about 10 rows from the front at LIVE8 and he did it as good as ever.They were the highlight of the day for me.What about Johnny Rotten yelling "Dowwwwnnnn" during the Sex Pistols 'I Wanna be me' just before the silence and it starts up again?

Last edited:
Not a scream per se, but "Love, Reign o'er Me" kicks ass.

Screwtape2 said:
GibsonGirl said:

:drool:

I dearly hope he lets out a mini-yell in Toronto.

Utoo said:
Not a scream per se, but "Love, Reign o'er Me" kicks ass.

:up:

That's a great one. Have you heard Pearl Jam's version? It's pretty stellar, and though it's not quite as good, they do the original justice...lots of great yelling! It runs over the final credits in the new Adam Sandler movie, Reign Over Me.

Yelling and Pearl Jam...perhaps the best marriage since milk and chocolate. The great thing about Eddie Vedder, and something that flies against stereotype, is how he'd probably also dominate in a 'Best Whisper' category.

But, since we're talking about yelling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoNmNmXExZ8

Have you all lost your minds??!!!! It's Fred Schneider yelling "LET'S ROOOOOOOCK!" on Rock Lobster.

Originally posted by bono_212

Is this on the Secret World DVD? I haven't watched it in a while, but I want to see this if it is (I can't find my DVD at the moment to check for myself) I'm pretty sure it's not because I seem to recall a complaint many people had was that it's not on the DVD but Mercy Street is one of my favorite songs by him

No, it's not from the Secret World DVD. I believe it was lifted from the POV video from Athens (not yet out on DVD) during the So tour.

It's one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs too.

SeattleVertigo said:

No, it's not from the Secret World DVD. I believe it was lifted from the POV video from Athens (not yet out on DVD) during the So tour.

It's one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs too.

Actually I own POV on video *goes to watch it*

Back
Top Bottom