MERGED ---> best. broken. social. scene. news. ever. + git ur live broken social

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
best. broken. social. scene. news. ever.

Broken Social Scene Ready Three Records, K-OS Contributing

It’s been almost three years since Canada’s kings of the collective, Broken Social Scene unleashed You Forgot It In People to the unsuspecting masses. Not even the Social Sceners knew that their indie rock jams would turn the world inside out. Now, BSS are ready to reclaim their indie rock crown.

How do a band who’ve single handedly made the U.S. music media salivate all over the great white north follow up a smash record? Apparently, by releasing three more in quick succession.

Jason Collett, one of BSS’ long-running collaborators, spilled the news during a recent interview.

"There’s about three records that have been recorded," Collett said. "There’s well over 100 minutes of music."

And when will you be able to pick up this cornucopia of indie pop? Collett says the first BSS record will be out in a few months, with the others following close behind.

"We’re putting out three records at staggered times. So we’re starting in the fall and there will be one in the new year and then there will be one within that same year as well."

Release dates aren’t confirmed yet, but we can tell you that there will be one significant addition to the BSS fold.

Juno winning artist and Canada’s current rap God, K-OS, will sing on at least one track. There’s no word on exactly what the B-Boy will be doing, or which disc it’ll be on, but we’re pretty sure it’ll be damn good.

There are sure to be more surprises, but for now the only other detail we know is that Collett will be taking the lead on some BSS songs — a first for the folksy rocker since he wasn't with the group when they recorded You Forget It In People.

Collett stepping up to the mic doesn’t mean Scene founders Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning are relinquishing their positions as patriarchs of the family.

"It’s mostly Kevin and Brendan [writing the songs] right now," Collett says. "Out of all of us we have our various solo outlets and it’s only fair the two guys, Kevin and Brendan, who don’t have anything else but the BSS, should have the biggest voice in the band and so they do. It’s only natural. They are both very inclusive of everybody and wanting everybody’s input. It’s still bizarrely democratic."

With so many songs to get down on tape, BSS had to record in two studios at once, Collett adds.

"We actually had two studios running at the same time. Charlie [Spearin, guitar/trumpet for BSS] and Ohad [Benchetrit from Do Make Say Think] have been working out of Ohad’s place. And then Dave Neufeld’s been mixing and having people record."

Collett says that even though it’s been a while since the last LP came out, the main reason it has taken so long to finalize the follow-up was because of the constant touring of both the main band and all of the members' solo projects.

"We’ve been recording for a couple years now, whenever we’ve been around," says Collett. "We’ve never been home long enough until now to make it take shape in order to finish it."

In more immediate news, Broken Social Scene will be heading out on a Japanese and European tour May 12 and will return home mid-June. Collett's new solo LP, Idols Of Exile, comes out June 14.

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/04/1507.cfm

:angry:

:drool:

i want dates, dammit!

:hyper:

and the thing with k-os sounds interesting.

Wow.

For serious.

It's promising to hear all these collaborations are going forward. I just hope that it acts to enrich the side-projects and feeder bands, instead of diluting the entire Canadian music scene into one easily referenced sound.

Anticipating.

:up:

an update on the BSS album release(s) from pitchfork:

(yes, pitchfork :| )

Yesterday morning, like a tide of panic and dismemberment, reports came flooding into the Pitchfork inbox that tireless Toronto collective Broken Social Scene had plans to release not one, not two, but three new albums by this time next year. The source of the infoleak, Canadian news site Chartattack, had gotten the crazy idea from peripheral BSS figure Jason Collett, who told them, "We're putting out three records at staggered times. So we're starting in the fall and there will be one in the new year and then there will be one within that same year as well."

The ambitious 2005-06 agenda that Collett-- a longtime friend of the band's, and now an official group member-- had laid out for Broken Social Scene came as something of a surprise to BSS co-founder Kevin Drew and the Arts & Crafts label. All that's known at this early juncture, they say, is that there's one album in the works, tentatively slated for a fall release, and a whole lot of other stuff that remains up in the air: "We accumulated over 200 minutes of music," Drew told Pitchfork yesterday, "and we're trying to figure out what to do with it all."

"They recorded a lot of songs they've been playing live for the last two years, and at the same time they went in and wrote a ton of new stuff," says Arts & Crafts co-owner Jeffrey Remedios during a phone conversation last night. "The idea now is to bring it out in a way that suits the music. [There are] probably around 25 or 30 songs that could technically be three albums' worth of material, but there are no plans to put out three records. It might be a double album, maybe. It might be two albums slightly spaced apart, but the band is still a long way off from deciding anything."

So where does that leave us? Drew insists the as-yet-untitled album is "almost done," and that, barring any major catastrophes, it will be out in autumn, at which point the group will launch a worldwide tour. "All we've done is captured a time in our lives," he says. "Raw fucking puke and love. At the end of the day it's just music made by people who don't own a filtering system."

i don't really care how many albums there are, just hurry the fuck up! :hyper:

raw fucking puke and love... :drool:

hmm, that's a bit more sobering.

anyone else find it amusing that one of the greatest bits of news coming out of one of the most important bands in the world today has only generated 7 or 8 replies while the new limp bizkit has eleven pages worth of shit?

now THAT'S class.

from billboard
Canadian rock act Broken Social Scene's highly anticipated new album has been christened "Windsurfing Nation" and is scheduled for an Oct. 4 release via Arts & Crafts, Billboard.com has learned. The set is expected to feature such tracks as "Handjobs for the Holidays," "Superconnected," "Shoreline" and "It's All Gonna Break."

The group recently completed a European tour and has a handful of North American shows on tap this summer, including a previously announced July 14 appearance in New York with the reunited Dinosaur Jr.

"Windsurfing Nation" will be the follow-up to 2002's "You Forgot It in People," which has sold 75,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. As previously reported, the group is also slated to participate in a remix album for fellow Canadian outfit Stars' recent Arts & Craft release, "Set Yourself on Fire."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

OCTOBER 4th!!!

Zoomerang96 said:
hmm, that's a bit more sobering.

anyone else find it amusing that one of the greatest bits of news coming out of one of the most important bands in the world today has only generated 7 or 8 replies while the new limp bizkit has eleven pages worth of shit?

now THAT'S class.

If by "amusing" you mean a staggering apologetic for birth control - then yes.

I wonder how the records will differ from one another.... very exciting news.

finally a release date! that's not toooooo long from now. and it will probalby leak like.. next mongth sometime.

i must say, this is looking to be a banner year for arts&crafts, with the release of stars (in the u.s.), the new jason collett, the most serene republic (which i just picked up today :up: ), bss, AND the stars remix cd.

edited to add: FEIST! shit, i can't believe i forgot her.

of course, all of them (except for tmsr) are part of the broken social scene family tree, so...yeah, there's that.

but still, colour me impressed.

Last edited:
according to kevin drew, 'jimmy' will not be on an album anytime soon. :(

MrBrau1 said:

:ohmy:

They are quite good, though I must say, I've heard a few bootlegs, and the singer is a complete asshole.

which one? :wink:

i'm ready for this album.

bring on hand7obs for the holidays!

git ur live broken social scene hear

http://www.kvrx.org/locallive/sounds/419/

tracklisting:

1. Stars and Sons
2. Shorelines (7/4)
3. New Country
4. Willie Nelson
5. Cause = Time

don't say i never do anything for you. :sexywink:

do any of you have ANY idea how long it took me to find some live bss?!

ANY IDEA?!?!?!?!

ANY?!?!?!?!?

i was already listening to it BEFORE you posted this.

:sexywink:

but thanks. :up:

You couldn't have looked in the band index and just added to one of the BSS threads? ;)

Zoomerang96 said:
the live stuff?

what!?
i found it (probably where you found it) about 20 minutes ago.

i was, and currently am, listening to it when i found your post.

telepathic, yes? or just telepathetic?

anyway, do you have the accelerator radio show from sweden?

Back
Top Bottom