MERGED--> Audioslave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksword

Acrobat
So whatdo people think of Audioslave

I loved Rage and though I only recall one Soundgarden song, Blackhole Sun was great and if I go by what critics seemd to say so was tehri other stuff. So I went to my friend Kaza based on their first single and it works quite well. This one song "Like a Stone" is great. Has a great solo which is vague edge-esque which initally came as a suprise but shouldn't considerring the time Rage toured with U2. Tom Morello is the man, simple, light and not a wasted note in this one. Aside from general impressions I was wondering if anyone else felt the solo in question was Edge like (especially like his more recent stuff). "Like a Stone" appears to be their next single.

You think that solo was Edge-like? You think any Tom Morello solo sounds a thing like anyone else?

Are your ears working properly?

Hey I like giving people credit. He takes the effects a bit further and has his own flair but it is clear where he learned a lot of his tricks. Until I heard this I had only heard his heavy crazy effects solos. I know perfectly well where the solo for Guerilla Radio came from since the exact same effect was used on U2's cover of Fortunate Son. I had to educate peole on that who though he wasa genius for doing that. Calling his a straight copiest would be to do him a disservice. In fact I can see a fair amount of the Clash in the band a a whole as well as Morello. Yes the Edge influence is audible and it struck me how great it was and I wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing things. I was being overly cautious in my statement, so cool down pallie.

EDIT: The fac that I chose to call the solo, simple, light and not a wassted note should have told you that I saw considerable Edge influence.

Last edited:
I like Audioslave, but I think I was a little too excited about this band. I was a huge Rage fan, and I think I just wanted the group to be Rage with Chris Cornell singing. I've slow grown to accept that Audioslave isnt just Rage w/ Cornell, and I like it more than I originally did because of it.

The album is good, but not really great. Has about 5 or 6 or 7 songs that I REALLY like, but the rest are quite mediocre. This is just my opinion on it.

There was a really great Audioslave article/interview in the last issue of SPIN.

PS - I'm a huge U2 fan and a huge Rage fan, I dont see anything alike at all in any of the guitar work of Morello and the Edge. I personally think all the talk about Guerilla Radio and other songs sounding like The Edge are complete trash. It sounds like Tom Morello. I think most of these "similarities" just come from U2 fans who dont listen to a lot of other music, and dont realize that there's more out there than just U2.

Last edited:
Like I said There's some definite influence from Edge, especially in his palette. Edge cooked up a lot of effects but never went as far with them as Morello has. Plus there's a lot more funk in Morello's stuff. And like I said above I see some Clash influences. Since Morelo has always palyed harder its a bit difficult to see. Still a brilliant guitarist who like any musician owes a good deal to his influences. The key word is inflences. It's justy that on this song they were a lot more obvious than on other stufff I'd heard. Its there fairly subtly in a lot of songs but not all, Guerilla Radio being the exception where he borowed an effect but even there he modified it to give a rather different feel from Edge's use of it. He's no more a copycat than Johnny Greenwood is. I defintiely agree about the 5 or 6 really good songs and a the rest being fairly run of the mill.

Last edited:
I saw the video for Like a Stone again today, I dont really see or hear the "Edge" reference.

Just so you all know, The Edge wasnt the first person to ever play guitar or use effects....

Regardless, I really like Like A Stone.

I think I've seen the video for it about 10 times more than I ever saw the video for Cochise already. Much more mainstream song I guess. I should buy the album, I only have it recorded on MD right now.

edit: Just listened to Guerilla Radio, dont see any relation. Sorry, I'm just trying to see where so many U2 fans are coming from thinking Morello sounds like The Edge. I dont see it or hear it at all, and I'm a huge fan of both. Odd.

Last edited:
Yeah I've played that song to death over the last few days and the overplay hasn't killed it for me. I have a bad habit of ruing songs I like. THis one's really solid. There's something quite compelling about it.

Blacksword said:
Yeah I've played that song to death over the last few days and the overplay hasn't killed it for me. I have a bad habit of ruing songs I like. THis one's really solid. There's something quite compelling about it.

What other Audioslave songs are your favorites? I havent listened to the album enough times to really say.

here's my actual stupid not-actually-saying-anything post:

i think that just that one song, at the end sounds a lot like a rather rage-ized, or tom morello-ized version of something that could have been on war, but not any particular song. other than that i wouldn't compare the two guitarists. they're nothing alike other than the fact that they both have very distince styles and not really anyone else sounds just like them.

Those are probalby the songs I'd pick off the top of my head too.

Most of the others are too straight-forwardly Soundgarden-esque/boring for me.

Audioslave live

Saw Audioslave in Boston last night. Great show. If you have the opportunity to catch them on this club tour, go, that may be your last opportunity to catch them in a small place.
Played pretty much the entire album, no Soundgarden or Rage, but they did cover Rush' "Working Man". Chris Cornell was much more animated on stage then the couple of times I saw him with Soundgarden. Definitely a show to see.

Finally bought the Audioslave album at a used store today. Trying to get price stickers off of it now.

:heart: audioslave.. I was a big fan of rage and soundgarden so I was :hyper: when they came out.. my favorites are cochise, show me how to live, like a stone, set it off, and I am the highway :drool:

Show Me How to Live totally rocks (listening to it right now)

I'm liking this album a lot more than I ever have. I guess I should have bought it to begin with, cause that somehow did the trick to make me like it more.

Last edited:
I officially think this album kicks ace now.

I dont know why it took me until today to think it rocked. Odd. Anyways, I like.

I have posted about Audioslave at least a dozen times and all I have to say is this:

I think my CD is already worn out. I have listened to this CD so many times I think it is going to fail on me soon. I think the music is genius.

I was a huge Rage fana dn a big Soundgarden fan. Although I loved the passion and anger of Rage, the Audioslave is amazing. The three guys finally show their musicianship and Chris' voice, well forget it, it is a fourth instrument.

I can see the reference to the Edge on the note right before the chorus of Like a Stone. I would never go as far as saying Tom gets his sounds from anyone else, but the way he cranks his strings during that note is VERY similar to the way the Edge did on Elevation, which is actually the same way Radiohead did on Creep...

I am seeing Audioslave tomorrow night and am jumping out of my skin, I cannot wait!!!

Oh,

By the way, Audioslave wrote and recorded 21 songs in 19 days. I find this amazing. What is also amazing is that there are only 14 songs on the CD and Tom has said the others are stored away for safe keeping.

Also, I got the chills when I read Chris' quote from the first Chicago show:

"...We're a band called Audioslave, and we're going to be in a band called Audioslave for a long, long time..."

ouizy said:
I was a huge Rage fana dn a big Soundgarden fan. Although I loved the passion and anger of Rage, the Audioslave is amazing. The three guys finally show their musicianship and Chris' voice, well forget it, it is a fourth instrument.

It's funny, I never liked Soundgarden. I think what first kind of turned me off about Soundgarden was Cornel's voice.

I dont know what happened, but I've totally opened up to his voice now. Great album.

After finally organizing all the song and repacing all the mistitles and listening to it all in order I have to say the whole thing is amazing. One thing where I love this over Rage is that there is so much variety in sound on this album. I loved rage but most of what they released was fairly uniform in its style and as was said above the three guys really got a chance to stretch their legs. Definitely going to buy this when I get the chance. Been a while since I felt like this about an album since I finished grabbing everything U2 in site and then sucked up all of The Police, Radiohead and Manic Street Preachers. Got a new band to add to favourites list.

OK -

SO I went to the New York show last night and all I have to say is:

IT FUCKING ROCKED.

I am not saying this just as an Audioslave fan, but as a fan of rock and roll. I had not been to a live show in a while, but this one kicked ass. It was at a pretty big theater and my ears are still ringing.

Highlights definitely were Gasoline, Like a Stone, show me how to live, and most of all Cochise.

All I have to say is that the intro to Cochise was worth the $40.00 alone...

Great band.

ouizy said:
OK -

SO I went to the New York show last night and all I have to say is:

IT FUCKING ROCKED.

I am not saying this just as an Audioslave fan, but as a fan of rock and roll. I had not been to a live show in a while, but this one kicked ass. It was at a pretty big theater and my ears are still ringing.

Highlights definitely were Gasoline, Like a Stone, show me how to live, and most of all Cochise.

All I have to say is that the intro to Cochise was worth the $40.00 alone...

Great band.

You are so damn lucky it's ridiculous.

Wish they were coming somewhere near here. Vegas sold out really quick. Blah.

Seems like the kind of music that would be fantastic live.

Back
Top Bottom