MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anybody wanna send me black mirror and my body is a cage? I'll be buying the album when it comes out, I already bought Intervention on iTunes (which is no longer available on there I think) and I really really liked what I heard. Saw them at Austin City Limits two years ago and they were excellent.

EdgeVox@aol.com

I listened to this on the bus today. It was magical. Really, there's nothing better than staring out of a dusty bus window at the freshly fallen snow, locked in your own little Arcade Fire world. It might have something to do with the fact that these songs are new, but I think Neon Bible is more cohesive as an album than Funeral.

A review from last night's London Show:

An avalanche of sound that shames heavy metal bands

By Andy Gill

Despite its unpromising origins in a succession of family bereavements, Arcade Fire's Funeral wedged its way firmly into many hearts a couple of years ago, placing high in many year-end polls.

On the evidence of a few hearings, the follow-up Neon Bible represents a substantial improvement on that debut, which I suppose means it's a serious contender for album of the year. Certainly, the new material has enough instant melodic appeal to surmount the uneasiness that usually greets a set comprised largely of unfamiliar songs.

St John's, the church-turned-concert-hall in Smith Square, is more frequently the venue for string quartets and choral recitals, but proves acoustically solid enough to handle the more testing barrage of an amplified band whose membership seems to grow each time one looks. At first, I count seven, before realising there's another chap hunched over the glockenspiel.

Then later on, it appears there's actually nine - and that's before the horn player adds a few well-placed lungfuls to the later stages. By now, they're probably well into double figures.

"Black Mirror" opens the set, as it does the new album, in a miasmic haze of sound. With Régine Chassagne adding hurdy-gurdy to the two violins, the result is not so much a string section as a drone section, providing the woozy undercurrent on which the song floats.

It's followed, after a bustle of instrument-swapping, by the album's most obvious single "Keep The Car Running", whose bouncy, momentum is punctuated here and there by massed choral interjections from the front line.

Chassagne switches from hurdy-gurdy to accordion for "No Cars Go", to similar droning effect, but providing a more dominant aspect of the melodic hook. As with much of the set, when the song builds to its fullest, fattest sound, with all eight, nine, or however many of them there are hammering away at the riff, it's like riding an avalanche, a solid, unstoppable flow of sound that would shame the most determined of heavy metal bands.

Halfway through the set, one of two stand-mounted megaphones starts squealing madly. Frontman Win Butler takes the audience laughter with aplomb, chiding their chuckling at this "serious piece of equipment". "I don't come to your house and laugh at you when your remote control's not working," he smiles.

Perhaps the oddest part of the set, though, comes during "Windowsill", a new song in which Butler expresses his desire to slough off the chains of expectation and heritage, and carve his own character, a process explained through a list of things he longer wants to do. Deconsecrated or not, there's still a particular frisson in hearing the line "Don't want to live in my father's house no more" in this particular setting.

In its piquant self-contradiction, it seems to sum up the band's unique appeal as well as anything.

Another review of the first London show. I hope I get to see them live!

Maddy Costa
Tuesday January 30, 2007
The Guardian

Before he formed the Arcade Fire with his wife Regine Chassagne, Win Butler was studying the Bible. So you'd think he would feel slightly odd about playing in a venue that was once a place of worship. Not a bit. When someone in the crowd tries to hush his chatting neighbours, Butler's reaction is engagingly caustic: "Jesus fucking Christ," he comments with a lopsided grin, "it's not a church."

That rumbustiousness carries into the band's set, primarily a showcase for their second album, Neon Bible, not released for another month. The crowd listen to each unfamiliar note reverently, displaying the forbearance of devoted fans who bought their tickets within minutes of them going on sale. Even so, there's no missing the electrifying jolt in the atmosphere whenever a track from Funeral, the debut album, is played.

And yet, for all the thrilling vigour with which they're performed and greeted, old songs such as Rebellion (Lies) and Neighbourhood No 1 (Tunnels) struggle to stand out in a euphoric, frequently breathtaking show in which every song is played with equal assurance .

Expanded for the night from a six- to an 11-piece band of multi-instrumentalists, the Arcade Fire produce a sound so explosive you fear the crackling speakers might rupture.

There are subtleties to the new songs that are suffocated by this frenzied approach. It's almost impossible to differentiate the instruments in Intervention, let alone the melodies they're playing, while Black Mirror's gloomy loveliness is trapped behind fierce revs and whirrs. But what's lost in complexity is gained in excitement: so propulsive are No Cars Go and Antichrist Television Blues, it's hard not to feel intoxicated.

Essentially, the Arcade Fire know that for a gig to be extraordinary, it needs fire and energy and most of all drama. They've always been celebrated, not just in their habit of swapping instruments but in the way they process off stage at the end of their shows.

They maintain both traditions tonight - and then do something unexpected, something that will live in the audience's memories for ever. They troop outside and play their final song, Wake Up, acoustically, on the steps leading up to the church and their massed voices shoot up past the rooftops into the sky.

It's a blissful reminder of the tenderness at the heart of Arcade Fire's music, the quality above all that makes them so appealing.

Merlin's Beard! Did i just read this:

"They troop outside and play their final song, Wake Up, acoustically, on the steps leading up to the church and their massed voices shoot up past the rooftops into the sky."

Promoters and their janitorial security drones will have no problem scuffling me out of the venue this way!!! What in Artemis's name will they do at the 'roo?? Start playing out in the field among the inebriated throng??

Can't wait for this show

There is something about this album that beckons to me, not in the same way Funeral GRABBED me (which I loved), but it will take some time to figure this one out. :drool:

angelordevil said:

I'm welcome to that comparison :up:

It's amazing that they've reached such a high level of brilliance (and now, maturity) just two albums in. I really feel my life will have been wasted if I don't get a chance to see them live.

My Body Is A Cage :drool: :drool: :drool:

Definitely a waste of a life is Arcade Fire is not seen live. When I saw them, I nearly cried at the opening notes of wake up. Best concert I have ever seen (except for first u2 show, in which there were also tears present).

Amazing, amazing, amazing.

I cant believe how good No Cars Go is. I just cant believe it.

U2Man said:

have you tried dancing to it? :dance:

Well, I was listening it going to work just then and I was GOING OFF.

I was thinking of going home tonight and doing just that.

And for those who are naughty and take things they shouldnt, I think No Cars Go could be the most amazing pills song!!

bono_man said:
And for those who are naughty and take things they shouldnt, I think No Cars Go could be the most amazing pills song!!

:shame:

like track 4 on funeral :drool:

Is there a website that has shows to download? Like u2start?

Or does anyone have a good show/s that I can have?

Either with new stuff or without

Cheers

GibsonGirl said:
I listened to this on the bus today. It was magical. Really, there's nothing better than staring out of a dusty bus window at the freshly fallen snow, locked in your own little Arcade Fire world.

:drool: I like that. I was listening today on my headphones while shovelling the driveway. Magical, like you say. I was having so much fun, I didn't want to come in. I don't know about you, but another reason I connect with the songs is because they remind me of here, with so many references to the ocean/waves.

Imagine if they actually played here...it would be so incredible. I can't think of a more definitive place for them to perform this material.

bono_man said:
Is there a website that has shows to download? Like u2start?

Or does anyone have a good show/s that I can have?

Either with new stuff or without

Cheers

Not sure if you've seen this or not, but it's pretty awesome. Just click the little circle on the right of the page...http://www.fabchannel.com/the_arcade_fire

Finally listened to it on the proper stereo last night. Woke up too early with it still in my head.

Will, of course, go listen to it now while I *try* to get some work done and not post here again until I've checked a few things off my interminable to do list.

Yes, thanks Anu for trying to help us who don't have the album yet! It's killing me to hear you all talk about it without being able to listen :drool: Can't find any working link, so if anyone feels like sending me one, or individual files by e-mail, I would be eternally grateful and will share with others. I have Intervention and Black Mirror, but would love any other track, just send me your favourite! I can't wait to hear the new No Cars Go.

And I will buy the album, no question about it!

THANKS!

e_lego@hotmail.com

probably a little too late to this party, but can someone send me a link to the album?

i am a fan of the band, having purchased Funeral and the EP, and, of course, plan on purchasing Neon Bible.

just curious to hear it now, like so many others.

thanks in advance

sbpa03@yahoo.com

i was wondering if we could help eachother with compiling a list of EVERYTHING the arcade fire has ever released (im thinking about b-sides/rarities in particular).

So far I've listened to the album about 6-7 times through, and my ranking is as follows, but they're all great!

1) Keep The Car Running
2) Intervention
3) No Cars Go
4) My Body Is A Cage
5) Windowsill
6) Antichrist Television Blues
7) Black Mirror
8) Black Waves/ Bad Vibrations
9) Ocean Of Noise
10) Neon Bible
11) The Well And The Lighthouse

What a solid follow-up album. No Cars Go sounds 100 times better than the original, and I love the theme and tone of the album.

i dont get why the well and the lighthouse doesnt get so much praise. i love regine's vocals on that one.

Back
Top Bottom