MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anu said:
I got into U2 seriously with UF and already felt 'late.'

Same. I was "in" one month after the UF came out. I thought I had some serious catching up to do by purchasing 4 cassette tapes of U2 in the months there after.

Anu said:
Any record that the band was informed by this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802132073

From my understanding, the band has denied that the album has anything to do with the book at all.

However, it does seem somewhat coincidental. And I've heard that the plot of the book matches up to the plot of Intervention fairly well..:hmm:

But, officially, the album has nothing to do with the book. :wink:

Oh, and my order of favorites as of now:

Antichrist Television Blues
No Cars Go
The Well and the Lighthouse
Windowsill
My Body is a Cage
Keep the Car Running
Intervention
Ocean of Noise
Black Mirror
Black Waves/Bad Vibrations
Neon Bible

And I still really like Neon Bible (the song), too. :drool:

Alright, I guess I'll make a stab at this favorites thing:

No Cars Go
Keep The Car Running
Intervention
Windowsill
Ocean of Noise
My Body Is A Cage
Black Mirror
The Well and the Lighthouse
Black Wave/Bad Vibrations
Antichrist Television Blues
Neon Bible

I like every track on the album though.

Hmm, it seems like everyone's ranking Black Wave/Bad Vibrations fairly low. It's one of my favourite songs on the album. I can't exactly explain why, but I think it has something to do with Regine's performance and the sudden switch over to Win at the end. It sounds so awesome.

GibsonGirl said:
Hmm, it seems like everyone's ranking Black Wave/Bad Vibrations fairly low. It's one of my favourite songs on the album. I can't exactly explain why, but I think it has something to do with Regine's performance and the sudden switch over to Win at the end. It sounds so awesome.

i agree entirely. regine sounds so sweet, optimistic and joyful at the beginning and then wim sets in with his apocalyptic voice and the entire sound picture just changes completely. glorius. :drool:

i really cannot rank these songs. everything is so brilliant. it's like a beatles album.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

I feel the same way about Antichrist Television Blues. To me, it's the standout song on the album, but I seem to be fairly alone in that sense. :(

LISTEN TO THE LYRICS, PEOPLE. DAMNIT.

And WHAT an ending. Seriously. I get intense chills every single time.

XHendrix24 said:

I feel the same way about Antichrist Television Blues. To me, it's the standout song on the album, but I seem to be fairly alone in that sense. :(

you know what's great about that ending?

notice how the noise builds up more and more, and then they end it just before it gets annoying. instead, the sudden end leaves in awe. u2 could learn something from that (im thinking about the shitty ending of beautiful day). it's pure genius.

I've been warming up to Antichrist Television Blues. Initially it was my least favorite on the album, but everytime I listen to it it gets better and better...which is the case for most of the songs on Neon Bible anyway. :drool:

XHendrix24 said:

i think antichrist televison blues is *the* quintessential song that sort of fleshes out the idea of neon bible. it's all about commodifying god and/or religion and then actively selling it to people. kinda like what joe simpson's done with his daughters.

dear god won't you send me a child
oh god would you send me a child
'cause i wanna put it up on the tv screen
so the world can see what your true word means

it's an amazing, amazing song. especially regine's 'wee-oo-wee-oo-wee-oo' interlude in the middle. i love that part.

lmjhitman said:

i think antichrist televison blues is *the* quintessential song that sort of fleshes out the idea of neon bible. it's all about commodifying god and/or religion and then actively selling it to people. kinda like what joe simpson's done with his daughters.

it's an amazing, amazing song. especially regine's 'wee-oo-wee-oo-wee-oo' interlude in the middle. i love that part.

Thank you. It feels good to be validated. :wink:

What I really love about this album is how effortlessly the songs progress to their climax.

Listen to the end of No Cars Go or Black Mirror and compare them to the endings of Wake Up or Crown of Love from Funeral and you'll see what I mean.

That being said, I love how they've progressed on this album. They've matched the brilliance of Funeral with a different kind of brilliance, I don't know how to describe it.

I guess it's like Steve Carell in The Office and Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine, if you're welcome to that comparison.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I guess it's like Steve Carell in The Office and Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine, if you're welcome to that comparison.

I'm welcome to that comparison :up:

It's amazing that they've reached such a high level of brilliance (and now, maturity) just two albums in. I really feel my life will have been wasted if I don't get a chance to see them live.

My Body Is A Cage :drool: :drool: :drool:

There is an interesting amount of surf-rock crap going on arrangement-wise in several songs, which is pretty funny actually.

We know that with some bands hype is just hype and not much more.

Here, we have the hype and the hope beneath it, the gurgling, aching, pulsing moment of achievement as it is happening.

I only first heard this record this morning, at work, on the computer speakers while doing a bunch of other stuff.

Now, this will be my bedtime album, with headphones on.

I'll let you know how it went in the morning.

lmjhitman said:

my only issue with this song is that it sounds a bit like something bruce could have done. there's even a "you gotta work hard and you gotta get paid" line. and one about minimum wage.

but i love it anyway.

Anybody join the "us kids know" forums yet? Who gets to go to church shows in NYC? Lucky!

from the Us Kids Know site:

Support a great independent record label by buying directly through Merge Records.

The Standard CD Edition will have a special preorder price of $9.99 through 3/6 ($3 off)

The Deluxe CD Edition is packaged in a hinged box with two 32-page flip books designed by the band and will have a special preorder price of $15 through 3/6 ($2 off)

The Vinyl LP is double 180-gram audiophile quality with three sides of music and an etching on the fourth side, includes a coupon for a free MP3 download of Neon Bible, and has a special preorder price of $17 through 3/6.

Preorders will be shipped to arrive on or around the release date March 6, 2007 and will receive a free Neon Bible poster and other assorted goodies!

“I don’t want to fight in a holy war
I don’t want the salesman knocking at my door
I don’t want to live in America no more”

Windsowsill neither wastes nor minces words for the times.

The tide is high and rising still, indeed.

can't take no boss bashing

U2Man said:

my only issue with this song is that it sounds a bit like something bruce could have done. there's even a "you gotta work hard and you gotta get paid" line. and one about minimum wage.

but i love it anyway.

and what's wrong with that?
exactly my first impression...bruce circa the river... out in the street... great song

Anu said:
Anybody join the "us kids know" forums yet?

I did. And in one of the threads some were complaining that they thought the album leak would have caused more of a reaction from people on the Internet. So, I posted a link to this thread saying something like "Look at what people on this U2 message board are saying. It's mostly positive."

Someone replied saying they appreciate that U2 fans are going just as crazy about this album than they are.

Amen my brothas and sistahsss!!
I´ve been baptised by the Arcade Fire.

No really, these are not songs, they are hymns.
As "Funeral" reminded me alot of "Boy", "Neon Bible" in some ways is their "October", but much better musically and lyrically.
But very similar themes.

"Neon Bible" has so many spirits running through it. Love the ocean metaphors. Reminds me a little of a younger Bono.

I wonder how the princes of pretention, Pitchfork, will respond to them now?

Regardless, amazing album. I do plan to pay for it to help the support of damn good music.

Re: can't take no boss bashing

bayou12780 said:

and what's wrong with that?
exactly my first impression...bruce circa the river... out in the street... great song

i've never been a big bruce fan.

this song rocks, though.

Back
Top Bottom