MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Holy mother of god. I don't believe what I just listened to.

After Black Wave/Bad Vibrations this album fucking EXPLODES! Every single song surprised the hell out of me. They would all start fairly low-key and cool, but by the climax of each track I had been figuratively and musically slapped in the face. Amazing. I can't really describe how good this is. I'm going to say right now that I enjoyed this first listening more than Funeral upon first listen. Much more actually. And I friggen loved Funeral the first time I heard it.

But this album had me literally covered in goosebumps the entire time.

I'll finish my track-by-track for the sake of consistancy.

"Ocean of Noise" - Probably my third favorite song from the album upon fist listen. Two words can describe this track. Epic. Beautiful. It's simply a masterpiece.

"The Well and the Lighthouse" - Starts off fairly inconspicuous, not unlike most of the album, but around the half-way point I realize I'm listening to another masterpiece. Seemed like a perfect companion piece to "Ocean of Noise"

(Antichrist Television Blues) - Maybe my second least favorite song on the album so far. That said. It's still great.

"Windowsill" - Wow. Again, similar to "Ocean of Noise" in that it surprises the hell out of you how it can continue to escalate and escalate to its glorious climax.

"No Cars Go" - Simply shattered any expectation I could have ever had about rerecording this song. Perfect in every way. Sent shivers down my spine. I couldn't stop laughing I was just so damn happy listening to this thing. The best thing the Arcade Fire has ever done, and easily my favorite song on the album.

"My Body is a Cage" - Now THIS was the MOST surprising track on the entire album. It starts off almost frustratingly slow (but still interesting), and grows to a point where it practically overshadows everything else on the album. It's almost as if by the time you get to this song, the band is saying "Oh yeah, those 10 songs you just listened to where basically a warm-up for what you're about to hear. Buckle your fucking seat-belts." Intense doesn't even begin to describe this song. It sucked the life out of me. It's haunting and gorgeous. On repeat listenings I bet this will be the song to continue to grow and grow with every listen.

So, overall, let me just say that Neon Bible completely and utterly blew away all my expectations, and reinforces the fact that The Arcade Fire ARE infact my second favorite band. They are the next big thing. They aren't going NOWHERE!

Now, I'm off to listen to it all over again.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
I don't know if it's because I'm drunk or not, but the fifth time through is particularly nice.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

I'm working on #3 right now. But I got to sleep soon, so this run is mostly just highlights until I listen all the way through tomorrow.

But on second spin, I must say the most impressive song was Windowsill. Rarely does such a beautiful song come around.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Here's how I rank the top songs so far:

1. Windowsill
2. No Cars Go
3. Ocean of Noise
4. My Body is a Cage
5. Keep the Car Running

But really, all these songs are so damn good I'm sure I'll NEVER be able to pin down a solid list like this.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #110
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
OK, I thought Arcade Fire's first album was hugely over-rated but showed some glimmers of potential. I'll give this one a go and see if it's any good. I just know this forum's not going to shut up about it anyway ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:52 PM
I don't know the policy of referring to sites that have this sort of leak, but uh.....check certain radiohead website forums for a link. I would stay away from the torrents, it seems like there are some decoys out there at 99%.

It's real late but I'm going to listen to it as long as I can. Just finishing Black Mirror now.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:49 AM   #112
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:52 AM
can someone email a link to download???

many thanks!!

eramey7882@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
OK, I thought Arcade Fire's first album was hugely over-rated but showed some glimmers of potential. I'll give this one a go and see if it's any good. I just know this forum's not going to shut up about it anyway ...
I actually agree with this. I just reviewed Funeral in iTunes and I realized despite my positive feelings I only ever listened to Rebellion with any consistency. The rest of the songs are good enough, but it's not an album that I know I'll check back on every week or so.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #114
Refugee

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Nowhere near the heights of the first album. I just can't hear the substance.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM
that was a pleasant surprise. i want to give it quite some listens before i post about. right now, i just want to say, NO CARS GO is super fantastic to freak out to on a dancefloor in the middle of the night

i already did last night

Old 01-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #116
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Well, that wasn't bad. Wasn't good either. At least it was better than Funeral, but I don't suppose that's much of a compliment coming from me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #117
The Fly

Local Time: 07:52 AM
I told you guys that this could leak any minute now.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #118
Refugee

I'm listening to it now What a great way to wake up!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #119
Acrobat

COuld someone please send me a link to please?

jjam2116@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

OH GOD

Tags
arcade fire, neon bible