MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you are referring to the constitution hall show in dc, i imagine this is a measure to prevent scalping. basically, it looks like you have to present the credit card the tix were bought with the day of the show.

honestly, i will be grateful to the ticket gods if i just get into the show.

Sounds great!! The start of Rebellion is fantastic! :drool:

One quickie...it is all in one track. Does anyone have it separated into tracks?

Also, does anyone have a good recording of a Funeral show? I havent heard many songs at all from that tour live. :(

Canadiens1160 said:
Alright, filtering out
mp3qg3.png
on Interference is pure stupidity. It's a fucking FILE EXTENSION people. Just because a file ends in
mp3qg3.png
doesn't mean it's pirated - it's the most popular digital format for storing music, for god's sake.

So here....

image2ja6.png

Please refer to thread http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173231

Hi!

I need a quick favour from someone.

I am getting a visit from a friend and I want him to hear some of the new ablum but I left it at home!

Can someone send me the album versions of No Cars Go and Ocean of Noise???

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

THANKS!! :)

I just checked admission.com for information about purchasing tix for the Montreal shows and I couldn't come up with anything. Anybody else have any confirmed information about where the tickets will be sold, and what time they'll go on? I'm not dismissing admission.com as the wrong answer, I just want to be sure on the day that I'm in the right place.

Rolling Stone reviewed Neon Bible. They gave it 3 1/2 stars. :madspit: It's not a particualrly great review either though. Here:

The key to all that is right, weird and nobly flawed about Arcade Fire's second album is in the next-to-last song, "No Cars Go." Written by the Montreal band's founding singers, Win Butler and his wife, Regine Chassagne, "No Cars Go" -- a teens-on-the-lam anthem about starting a new Eden, out where there are no roads -- first appeared on Arcade Fire, a self-released 2003 EP. On that record, the song was a midtempo run wrapped in what sounded like a couple of old accordions the group found gathering dust in an abandoned wilderness cabin.
The version on Neon Bible shows the difference a bigger production budget and a quantum leap in fear, everywhere you turn, can make. The basics remain: the simple, infectious melody; the singing-telegram lyrics ("Us kids know/ No cars go. . . . Hey!"). But the song now takes off like an army of Harleys on a dirt track (drummer Jeremy Gara's accents jolt the rhythm like potholes), and the arrangement is atomic melodrama -- strings, brass and refugee-choir vocals ringing in Grand Canyon-like echo. Like almost everything on Neon Bible, the follow-up to Arcade Fire's 2004 full-length debut, Funeral, "No Cars Go" is excess with a point: We are drowning in the unspeakable and running out of air and fight. If only everything else on Neon Bible made that point with the same dynamic overkill.

It's strange enough that Arcade Fire chose to cover themselves after just two records. It's stranger still that such a big band -- now seven members, playing a symphony's worth of instruments among them -- can sound so distant here so often. The reverb on Funeral was distinct but restrained, coating Arcade Fire's rousing, Balkan-dance-band jump in an early-Eighties New Wave atmosphere that perfectly suited Butler's neo-operatic tenor. If Echo and the Bunnymen singer Ian McCulloch is looking for a long-lost twin brother, he can start looking in Quebec.

But on Neon Bible, the reverb is so big and black that the beat becomes boom and the orchestral garnish, arranged by Chassagne and Final Fantasy's Owen Pallett, gets pressed to the margins. The result is a huge sound that only sparkles on the edges, leaving Butler alone in the middle, railing against rising tides, falling bombs and the nonstop rain of shit on television like he's singing from the pulpit of an empty cathedral.

Maybe that was the idea. Neon Bible is an aggressively gothic record, explicitly so in the pipe organ that soars over the hunger and wreckage in "Intervention." More intriguing are "Black Mirror" and "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations," which somehow combine the oppressive dread on Side Two of David Bowie's Low with the church-bells-in-the-rain reveille of U2's Boy. "Neon Bible" is even bleaker, a soft two-minute eulogy for a generation blinded by chain-store signs and laptop-computer glow. "A vial of hope and a vial of pain/In the light, they both looked the same," Butler sings through whispering cellos and child-angel harmonies, like Leonard Cohen wandering through the third Velvet Underground album.

But there is determined resistance here too, a twisted faith in escape that comes through best when Arcade Fire hit the gas pedal. "Keep the Car Running" is a gripping chase scene -- Butler on the run from some kind of gestapo -- with crisply strummed mandolins and a racing pulse. Even better is the wordy delirium of "(Anti- christ Television Blues)." The reverb does the lyrics no favors, obscuring big chunks of the thirteen verses. But at the end of this torrent of 9/11 trauma ("The planes keep crashing, always two by two") and blasphemous prayer (a minimum-wage-slave dad asks God to make his daughter a TV star), an avenging spirit cuts through -- "I'm through being cute," Butler snaps, "I'm through being nice" -- that runs deep in Neon Bible. It's too bad you can't always hear it.

Toronto #2 tix. Woo!

They sold out in about 45 seconds. Play larger venues for fuck's sake!!!

anitram said:
Toronto #2 tix. Woo!

They sold out in about 45 seconds. Play larger venues for fuck's sake!!!

I got 6 tickets for these shows... I'm gonna go to both I think (with my friend)!

Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the other 2 for wednesday though... ;)

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the other 2 for wednesday though... ;)

Sell them to me and pay for my airline ticket from Newfoundland to TO. :wink:

Lancemc said:
Rolling Stone reviewed Neon Bible. They gave it 3 1/2 stars. :madspit: It's not a particualrly great review either though.

Does anyone really take Rolling Stone seriously these days, though? Hell, their number one album of 2006 was the new BOB DYLAN. TWO-THOUSAND-AND-SIX.

They need to get with the times, maybe more than any other music magazine out there.

XHendrix24 said:

Hell, their number one album of 2006 was the new BOB DYLAN. TWO-THOUSAND-AND-SIX.

What was wrong with Modern Times? I loved that album not the best of 2006 but still a really great album.

Anyway 3 and a half stars, meh about 1 and a half too low

Irishteen said:

What was wrong with Modern Times? I loved that album not the best of 2006 but still a really great album.

Anyway 3 and a half stars, meh about 1 and a half too low

Not saying that it was a bad album per say, but if anyone else besides Dylan had recorded it, I doubt it would've even made the list.

This magazine more than any other is stuck in the past (particularly the 60's) and it desperately needs to get a better grasp on NEW music to have any hope at staying relevant.

XHendrix24 said:

Does anyone really take Rolling Stone seriously these days, though? Hell, their number one album of 2006 was the new BOB DYLAN. TWO-THOUSAND-AND-SIX.

that album rocked :drool: :drool:

anitram said:
They sold out in about 45 seconds.

:|

My dad tried for Toronto tix today from work. I'm too scared to call him to find out if he got them or not. :reject:

I have a small group of friends who try for me...

incredibly, the friend who scored my tickets today, also in the past scored for me:

-U2 floor seats (he's gotten them 3 times across Elevation and Vertigo)

-Radiohead tickets in Montreal last year ( remember, the small venue tour? best show I've ever seen)

-and now Arcade Fire Tickets at a small venue for Toronto!

He is the man... and I'll have him working on the Montreal show next week too :p

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
They really need to play bigger venues. Obviously the demand is there. :|

Yeah, every show they're doing on this tour is selling out as fast as it's going on sale, they really should of played much larger venues.

Back
Top Bottom