MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoManiac said:
Ok. I know where I'll be early Saturday at 3 am. Thanks!
FYI according to an AF message board, for today's show (Friday), the 50th fan out of 50 available tickets showed up at 4am. So I'd shoot for even earlier on Saturday morning honestly if you *absolutely* want to be sure - since no one has work Saturday I think some people will sleep overnight as well.

In contrast, the 50th person arrived at 5:30am for the Thursday show, so people are arriving earlier and earlier.

REALLY LONG REVIEW
Thursday 08 Feb
····
I got to the venue (Ukrainian Federation) around 7:05pm after sleeping all day. There were already about a hundred people in line out of the 650 person capacity. We were all let in around 7:30pm.

The venue inside is great - it reminded me of an old school auditorium - flat rows of wooden seats and big columns on the walls kind of like a church as well. The balcony was small but went around the entire edge of the room. The crew had a large rainbow neon bible projected on the ceiling, and had a large white one projected onto the stage during the show. The actual neon Neon Bible was hung in front of the curtain behind the band, and was on as the audience arrived. It didn't get put into flashy superbible mode until the lights went dim.

Around 8:45pm the lights went out and everyone went apeshit as a pre-recorded intro for Black Mirror began to play. The band came onstage with no sign on Win. Then, we seem him coming up the centre aisle and climbing onstage from the audience at the front of centre stage!
····
The band ripped into Black Mirror in an apocalyptic fury. It was clear a fair portion of the audience had heard this song already and some others from the new album.

Next up was an energetic Keep the Car Running. I'm not a huge fan of the album track, but live it absolutely gets everyone going with its bouncy verses.

On the setlist, the next song was listed as WHEN HE AWOKE HIS MIND WAS RACING. HOW COULD HE SHARE THIS VISION HE HAS HAD WITH THE WORLD? which is in actual fact Anarchist Television Blues. The band has been using a long sentence for ATB in the setlist since the London shows and if you put the successive sentences together they tell a story. The song has so much galloping power live as well and carried on the vibe from the previous song really well. Win was clapping and and audience responded wonderfully. Regine nailed, NAILED the crazy-high vocal solo and the crowd again went apeshit in awe.

Win was really great with the crowd during the breaks between songs - he joked that is was so great to walk around the corner from his house and play shows and that maybe they should just play this hall every night. He went on to joke about them just creating an Arcade Fire museum, playing shows everyday until they were 60 like at the MGM Grand, and did an impromptu verse of Power Out saying something like:

I woke up with the power out
Sixty years old and something something something

Regine took up the accordion and tested out a chord or two and I instantly knew it was the revamped No Cars Go next - which prompted a WOOOOOO from me. This song is a MONSTER live and the crowd went nuts shouting the "HEY!"s and singing the accordion melody. Definitely a high point of the evening.

Win yielded the microphone to Regine next, who did a cute cover of
Poupee de Cire, a France Gall song.

Black Waves/Bad Vibrations kept Regine on vocals, and the song was ten times better live than on record. The snare drum was sounding great in the mix and gave the song a really hard-rocking beat along with the low distorted guitar part. Win was on keyboard, and had a false start, saying "whoops I fucked up" as the band stopped after a chord. Hilarious!

They went right into My Body is a Cage and played it like the hymn it really is. The song is quieter live as far as having very little organ build-up. But when the song exploded - holy shit - red lights bathed the sides of the stage as Win tore the house down. It was clear he was measuring his vocals until this song when he went crazy. Amazing song live and how it abruptly ended as the echo faded away was just amazing. You could tell that the audience members who hadn't heard the leaked record were blown away by the song.

The Well and the Lighthouse kept the energy from Cage going at full-tilt and I really have to compliment the backing violin and horn players on really fleshing out the song live - the waltz-y melody in the second half of the song sounded brilliant and really shined.

Windowsill was great live - all of the heart-wrenching feeling of the album version shone through and Win handled the bitter lyrics really nicely.

Amazingly it had been all "new" songs up to this point in the set, but then one of the best moments of the night happened when the band was midway into Power Out as the crowd was going absolutely fucking nuts for an old song. Halfway through the song, the power actually did go out for a split second, Win and Richard just locked gazes for a second and it was PRICELESS! The power clicked back a half second later on and they just kept going to a huge whoop, applause and laughter from the audience - not even a half-second power outage can throw these guys out of a song!

This transitioned right into Rebellion, which the audience took several seconds to realize due to shitty mixing on those two numbers. The pogo-ing commenced and the band really brought the house down.
····
As the band left the stage for the encore break the audience fell into a simultaneous clap and actually kept singing the outro "ooooooh ohhh ohh oooooooooh" from Rebellion for five minutes as strong as ever. When Arcade Fire emerged again from side stage, Regine was dancing onto the stage to the crowd's singing, and the band started playing along with drums and tambourine to the crowd. It was really surreal at this point as they brought the jam session to a great end.

Intervention started off the encore with Win on the acoustic with that chord progression that just shouts "sentimental". I have to say the song was not arranged as well as it was on record, and they're still playing it like they did it live previously. More acoustic guitar oriented as first and the organ comes in later. Still, when it got going at full-tilt and Win shouted "And who's gonna reset the bonnnne?!" I just about choked up.

We got Haiti for the second encore song and the crowd was really responsive, bouncing here and there. The sound wound down U2 Yahweh live style-y, with one member after another stopping their playing to signal the end of the show

Win, Will, and Richard hopped off the stage and walked down the centre aisle with their their instruments. Will and Richard disappeared, but Win re-emerged in the corner of the hall's balcony among fans, with a huge grin on his face as he strummed his guitar to shouts and crazy applause. The smile might have had something to do with the fact that the audience had again kept singing the falsetto outro part, this time from Haiti. We all kept this up for about five or six minutes, and the band came back onstage one last time.

All instruments were doing some warm-up noise, and I knew it was Tunnels. - the hard-earned second encore. They did a beautiful job. What a show!
····
I imagine this is what the early U2 shows were like in Ireland - hometown band playing in their own home city, with an audience who adore them.

Last edited:
Amazing review Canadiens. You actually got me more excited about seeing this band live if that was even possible! My Body is A Cage sounds like a real highlight. As least for me, as it's far and away my favorite song on the album. :drool: Oh my god, that show sounds incredible.

Canadiens1160 said:
FYI according to an AF message board, for today's show (Friday), the 50th fan out of 50 available tickets showed up at 4am. So I'd shoot for even earlier on Saturday morning honestly if you *absolutely* want to be sure - since no one has work Saturday I think some people will sleep overnight as well.

In contrast, the 50th person arrived at 5:30am for the Thursday show, so people are arriving earlier and earlier.

Thanks. I'll go there around midnight then. Can't wait!

Are you going to be going again?

Last edited:
BonoManiac said:

Thanks. I'll go there around midnight then. Can't wait!

Are you going to be going again?
Not sure - if my sanity is really out the window then I might hike over around 1 or 2, not sure though :S

There's finally a rip that doesn't sound like a turd floating around out there. I found a 320 kbps and even a FLAC.

The album sounds much, much better. The poor sound quality drove me to stop listening to it, so this is a relief.

inmyplace13 said:
There's finally a rip that doesn't sound like a turd floating around out there. I found a 320 kbps and even a FLAC.

The album sounds much, much better. The poor sound quality drove me to stop listening to it, so this is a relief.

wooooooh!!!!

if it wasnt a torrent, is there a chance that you could send the link?

u2man.number1 @ gmail.com

What an exhausting and emotionally draining 24 hours—although I must say it was worth it. The best $25 I've ever spent.

Canadiens 1160 gave an excellent review of the show. I'm too tired to write a proper review but here's the setlist for the 5th and final Montreal show:

1. My Body is Cage
2. Black Mirror
3. Keep the Car Running
4.(Antichrist Television Blues)
5. No Cars Go
6. Haiti
7. Black Waves/Bad Vibrations
8. Windowsill
9. Ocean of Noise
10. Neighbourhood # 3 (Power Out)
11. Rebellion(Lies)

Encore 1:

12. Intervention
13. Neighbourhood # 1 (Tunnels)

Encore 2( In the basement)

14. The Well and the Lighthouse (acoustic)

(back upstairs in the main auditorium)

15. Wake Up (acoustic)

Last edited:
All right, fine. I'm going to cave and not wait until it comes out.

Can someone send me a link to this new, better quality version floating around? I'm okay with torrents as well.

Thank yoooooou!

alicia.k@comcast.net

North American Tour Announced
Details of the band's North American spring tour have been announced today, and are as follows:

04/26 San Diego, CA - Spreckels Theatre
04/28 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
05/01 Atlanta, GA - Civic Center
05/02 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
05/04 Washington, DC - DAR Constitution Hall
05/05 Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
05/07 New York, NY - TBA
05/08 New York, NY - TBA
05/09 New York, NY - TBA
05/10 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
05/12 Montreal, Quebec - Arena Maurice Richard
05/13 Montreal, Quebec - Arena Maurice Richard
05/15 Toronto, Ontario - Massey Hall
05/16 Toronto, Ontario - Massey Hall
05/18 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
05/19 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
05/20 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
05/27 Portland, OR - Schnitzer Concert Hall
06/01 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre
06/02 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre

BonoManiac said:
North American Tour Announced
Details of the band's North American spring tour have been announced today, and are as follows:

04/26 San Diego, CA - Spreckels Theatre
04/28 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
05/01 Atlanta, GA - Civic Center
05/02 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
05/04 Washington, DC - DAR Constitution Hall
05/05 Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
05/07 New York, NY - TBA
05/08 New York, NY - TBA
05/09 New York, NY - TBA
05/10 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
05/12 Montreal, Quebec - Arena Maurice Richard
05/13 Montreal, Quebec - Arena Maurice Richard
05/15 Toronto, Ontario - Massey Hall
05/16 Toronto, Ontario - Massey Hall