MERGED-->Anyone heard of Keane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Anyone heard of Keane?

They are coming to D.C. next month and I heard that they are pretty big in the U.K. I checked their website at www.keaneband.com and their songs are pretty cool.

Has anyone heard of them or, better yet, seen them live?

Thanks!

I've definitely heard of them. They're gaining steam here in America, but it's hard because Americans don't necessarily know how to classify a quiet British band w/o comparing them to Coldplay. Snow Patrol have the same thing, and I think they are fabulous and underappreciated here.

That said, Keane make beautiful music and you should definitely go to their show!

I don't like them, most people do. Especially U2 fans.
Dalton's right. They're just another Travis-esque band. I can send you some MP3s if you want to hear some of their work.

Thanks, I would really appreciate it if you could send me some MP3! Could you send to pablo_verra@hotmail.com?

I also just bought the tickets since I liked the snippets I was able to hear on the Web. Plus, they were $25 for GAs in a little club we have here in D.C. (that holds like 800 people), so I guess it will be an intimate function. Erasure is coming to the same place a couple of weeks later.

Thanks again.

Pablo

Last edited:
Because I like to know new music, sometimes I fail, Somewhere Only We Know was a good single, I supposed that the album would be... but is the same song again and again, of course this is just my opinion

Hmmm, now I am having second thoughts.

But of course, many people also consider Coldplay as quite boring and repetitive.

right now I find Coldplay boring too, but I'm waiting for a new album, I hope for an evolutionary new album :up:

Aardvark747 said:

ooooooh! Harsh!:wink:
Keane are miles better than Travis - even with only 1 album under their belts. Ive seen em' live 4 times now - they are fantastic.

I disagree. Good Feelings is one of my favorite albums right now.

I saw Travis in concert, though. Not very good. Fran Healy talks more than Bono.

Good thing was that Remy Zero opened for them. Now that is a good band. I'm listening to them right now...

when i first heard their song i could of sworn it was Travis :reject:

i saw Travis live and surpirsingly it was a betetr concert than radiohead or coldplay and i am a much bigger fan of radiohead than travis but they still blew me away:ohmy:

Last edited:
Jack In The Box said:
Because I like to know new music, sometimes I fail, Somewhere Only We Know was a good single, I supposed that the album would be... but is the same song again and again, of course this is just my opinion

:up:

I hate the fact that you can't go anywhere or turn on the TV without hearing "Everybody's Changing..." which sounds like it should be the soundtrack to the video about puberty they show you in health class when you're 12.

They're pushing their single in Canada right now.

I'm not one for comparisons, but it sounded like Coldplay to me the first time I heard it and I had no idea they were British or whatever, so you can't assign some kind of motive to my thought. :shrug:

the tune I heard was the biggest radiohead ripoff yet.

how these guys got a deal, I've no idea.

oh wait, yes I do; record companies don't sign you unless you sound exactly like something else.
silly me.

I bought their album because it was cheap. I honestly like it. It's very understated. To my knowledge, the band has no guitarist, so they're not like so many other bands in that respect. I like the album more each time I listen to it. Favorites right now would be 'We Might As Well Be Strangers' and 'Bedshaped.'

Keane are great - Even better live but Its down to personal opinion. They've had the biggest selling album in the UK this year. I'm not sure if they'll do as well in America...

'This is the last time' is my favourite song! We might as well be strangers is amazing live as well!

I'm quite glad I knew of them before they got 'big' over here cos their smaller gigs were much better to when I saw them play bigger venues in London. So if they are playing small/cheap venues in the US I think its worth going.

Saw Keane support Travis as well and I think their performances were as good as each other.

I heard 'Somewhere Only We Know' on the radio this morning and thought it was really nice. I don't think I'd buy the album, but it was a good song. He has a really nice voice. I'm still trying to think of ways to describe them besides "really nice".

Well, I ended up buying the tickets anyway... figured that for $25 it was not that much of a risk... and I guess I was lucky because I checked right after and they were sold out.

Guess I need to listen in to some other songs though. Anyone kind enough to send me some MP3s?

I think Keane are really overrated, I think this article sums up what I think of them

Keane aren’t a ‘bad’ band. They’re not interesting enough for that. But their sheer okay-ness, their inane niceness and inability to emote anything in their songs other than reciting a bunch of bland clichés about half-felt emotions is what should make them so utterly offensive. Music is supposed to incite reaction. Stir-up passion. And if a band can’t raise anything more than an apathetic shrug, then they should be hurled onto a burning pyre along with the rest of the say-nothing celeb-age crap.

I love Travis, I have seen the live twice. I have also seen Coldplay, back before they were famous and you could buy a ticket for £11 ($21) on the night of the concert and you could meet Chris Martin after the concert and go to their aftershow party and you and your friends were the only people there. /memories. I think Keane sound nothing like either of them, I also think Coldplay were awful live but this was before they did a lot of touring. Some folk here really love them though so it just depends on the individual. A gig always means a good night out though. :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom