MERGED-->Anyone Give A Damn About THE VMA's? + 2003 VMAs + Justin Timberlake...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i haven't watched it yet. i taped it because I cannot stand to sit through most of it.

I want to see Duran Duran, I heard they won the lifetime award but that the presentation got F'ed up because of the sound or something.

I also heard that Simon looked great, and so did JT and Roger. ( DUH!)

I want to see Coldplays performance.

The rest of show I don't really care about.
I don't watch MTV anymore. I didn't even know what "punk'd" meant until today...

And I don't consider it getting old, I consider it " having taste"

I was watching MTV2 Wednesday night and they were showing videos that won VMAs in the past, with an hour devoted to each year. I missed the first few hours, and by the time I tuned in they were showing Neil Young's "This Note's For You." Over the next few hours until I finally turned in for the night I saw VMA-winning videos by great bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, U2 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was great, but at the same time it made me really, really sad for the terrible state of the music industry today. I didn't even watch this year's VMAs because I just knew Justin Tinkertoy would beat Johnny Cash and my TV would be in danger of having a hole punched through it with my fist.

I guess I sound old and bitter. Well, maybe it's because I am.

BTW, I hope Mr. Cash gets well soon. And I'm glad Coldplay won some awards. I haven't seen the entire video for "The Scientist" yet because I rarely bother to turn on VH-1 in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work anymore, and every time I do they are either in the middle of the video or at the very end - but it's a very interesting concept.

"Justin Tinkertoy" :lmao: I've never heard that one before

Not that I want him to be ill of course, but poor Mr. Cash is lucky he couldn't go-they probably would have asked him to French kiss Justin or sing PIMP w/ 50 Cent :yikes:

I'm going to keep my commentaries about, and only I'm going to say that I agree with this sentence:

MBH said:

-"Hurt" is one of the best videos---ever!

:)

MrsSpringsteen said:
"Justin Tinkertoy" :lmao: I've never heard that one before

Not that I want him to be ill of course, but poor Mr. Cash is lucky he couldn't go-they probably would have asked him to French kiss Justin or sing PIMP w/ 50 Cent :yikes:

No shit. Mtv has become a joke. I watched some of those Past Winners Hours and all it did was make me wish I was back in high school, because that's when they last played videos. :crack:

I remember the good years... like when the Smashing Pumpkins won

now not awarded to the video, now awards the artist who more times appears on Mtv

people who tihnk 50 cent is bringing something new to rap should be tied up and given only slurry to live on

:sexywink:

I did not watch it.
I would not watch it.
I could not be bothered to watch it.
no way.

apart from coldplay, everyone on that show is shit to me. but what can i do about it? nothing. zero. zilch. can't change the way the music industry has become. so, I do my part to protest:

not watch mtv awards.
not listen to top 40 radio.
don't read people, rolling stone, spin, or any other shit mag.

fuck 'em.

i would love to know who did the sound for mtv's awards last night, cuz they really sucked. you couldn't hear the presenters unless they were leaning into the mic, they shouldn't have to be doing that. i remember when iggy pop was up there presenting, you couldn't hear anything he said, and he wasn't that far away!

also, i can't believe they fucked up dd's award like that. it could've still have been a surprise and been better put together. it seemed like even kelly and avril didn't know what was going on, and avril didn't seem to know who they were. at least kelly was trying to get the crowd enthusiastic, but she came off more like a fan than a musician (heh, i know) who was presenting the award.

this was the first year they've done a lifetime achievement award, and i wonder if they'll ever do it again. i mean, to give them no time whatsoever onstage for themselves, and then to have the five of them with kelly and avril and then when justin won and brought up his two homies, there were too many damn people onstage and having them present an award after winning one really stole their thunder. no montage, just like 30 seconds of video clips with NO SOUND, i find it curious that they couldn't get it to work at all.

but anyway, like i said, they could've surprised the band without making it seem to haphazardly put together, like they'd decided that night they were going to give them the award.

JOFO said:
I did not watch it.
I would not watch it.
no way.

apart from coldplay, everyone on that show is shit to me. but what can i do about it? nothing. zero. zilch. can't change the way the music industry has become. so, I do my part to protest:

not watch mtv awards.

fuck 'em.

Yes! Rage against the machine! (not the band)

Hello,

This morning I saw some of those 'over the years' compilations (VMA Uncensored or something like that). I finally got to see the fuck-up with U2's performance in 2001 (when the power went out). In all the reruns they've shown since this moment was cut. And Garth from Wayne's World (Dana Carvey) drumming with U2 on EBTTRT. Ah, the good old days.

BTW, I'm a bit shocked that MTV is showing only 1 (yes, ONE!) rerun here in the Netherlands, tomorrow at 12:00. Where's the time that the weekend was one big rerun? :p

Oh well, as long as I can see Coldplay perform...

C ya!

Marty

was really only doing it because of Colplay

Watched it last night - till Coldplay performance, and the rest today at the repeat.

Good points:
- Chris Rock, always nice to see the host poking fun at artists and MTV
- Missy Elliot for winning (finally not some supermodel-like musician who gets recognised)
- Colplay winning, and playing
- Mary J Blige (I'm not an r&b fan but I respect her voice)
- Metallica finishing. was hoping for a U2 bit during the medley.
- Justin Timberlake mentioning Johnny Cash was nice.

Bad:
- the opening Britney/Christina/Madonna stunt
- other performers in general (woo, Good Charlotte rooock. Aaah, 50 Cent is the man. Gimme a break)
- Beyonce...not even a microphone. SHAME for such a high profiled singer to afford not playing live.
- Duran Duran lifetime achievement award & presentation presentation (how many in the MTV audience knows or care who they are? Could have picked a more vital 80's band IMO)
- Eminem and 50 Cent showing off on each other's acceptance speeches. Boring, lame.
- is music scene nowadays just that? Bunch of r&b showoffs, "rocking" kids and oldies metalheads?

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
Hello,

This morning I saw some of those 'over the years' compilations (VMA Uncensored or something like that). I finally got to see the fuck-up with U2's performance in 2001 (when the power went out). In all the reruns they've shown since this moment was cut. And Garth from Wayne's World (Dana Carvey) drumming with U2 on EBTTRT. Ah, the good old days.

I saw that too!

"A very very badass Irish rock'n'roll band is about to be re-plugged into the mainframe", then "We apologize for the breakup in the transmission" and in the end "Looks like MTV wasn't paying their electricity bill". Gotta love Bono's improvised humor!

Last edited:
Yes, U2girl, those were great moments. :D

Tonight I caught the last bit of '20 things you didn't know about the VMA's'. They had an item on the seat fillers, the biggest loser at the VMA's (Britney Spears :D :tongue: :p), etc. It was nice to get to know those odd things (most popular food: seafood and the stars like to eat with their hands).
I've come to the conclusion that the programs about the VMA's are more interesting than the VMA's themselves.

C ya!

Marty

I haven't really read any of this thread, but I think it's ridiculous how a lot of the artists approach this event. It's not a celebration of music... it's an award ceremony for directors, producers, etc. So it would be nice for the recipients to pay a little more respect to the people who put them up at the podium. It's Video Music after all.

getfile.php

Hello,

So I saw the awards today (they finally had a rerun here). IMO, it wasn't as bad as some here reported it, but except for the kiss it wasn't that memorable either. Yes, Coldplay were great, but it was not a defining performance.
So I've seen the show, now I can move on. However, a few remarks:
- Chris Rock :up: when you can dis everybody in the building (including everything MTV airs on a normal day) and walk out unharmed you have done a great job!
- medleys, who does everyone perform a medley nowadays? Let alone bad medleys (Christina Aguilera, Mary J Blige).
- Beyonc?, I think she did have a microphone (on the left side of her face) even though I didn't actually see it. I only base my opinion on circumstancial evidence.
- Justin Timberlake, I still don't like his music, but he's gained some of my respect with his enthousiasm for Coldplay and Johnny Cash. He may end up well after all.
- Coldplay, good performance, didn't slit my wrists :D but didn't they win 3 awards or so (they only showed the Best Group Video). Does MTV also have a pre-awards ceremony?

That's it, now on to the EMA's (European Music Awards)!

C ya!

Marty

Re: was really only doing it because of Colplay

U2girl said:
Bad:
- the opening Britney/Christina/Madonna stunt

Heh...I thought it was quite amusing. I have the entire performance in an MPEG video, although the appearance of Missy Elliott seemed so useless.

Melon

JOFO said:
I did not watch it.
I would not watch it.
no way.

not watch mtv awards.

fuck 'em.

Coudn't have said it better myself :yes: :wave:

I just found out that this year's show was down 11% in the ratings compared to last year's show!!!!!:lol: ----That's 11% in the "key demographic". I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like were not alone in our disgust for MTV!!!!

Hip-Hip-----------Hooray!!!!!!!!

U2girl said:
Could have picked a more vital 80's band
what other band is possibly more vital? their reunion has made them a hot commodity. hell, they were presenting even though they have nothing to promote right now! (it's been my experience that the people presenting usually have a hit song or movie out at the time, or have one coming out soon.)

Back
Top Bottom