MERGED ----> Amy Winehouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm appreciating her too. :up: I got both albums a few weeks ago, and love them. They've definitely got more staying power than Lily Allen's.

corianderstem said:
Pfft. Amy Winehouse gets the cover of Rolling Stone and Arcade Fire doesn't? Whatevs.

She loves me :love:

corianderstem said:
But what do I know? I still really like Lilly Allen's album. :wink:

She loves me not :(

corianderstem said:
Pfft. Amy Winehouse gets the cover of Rolling Stone and Arcade Fire doesn't? Whatevs.

Everytime I look at Amy Winehouse I think "Girl, I really like your album but ohmyGOD comb your hair."

I quite like Amy's crazy hair, :)

I do wonder though whether she'll end up one of those artists who get shoved into spotlight too early and then just fizzle out. Hope not.

She's great. The title track to Back to Black is one of the best tunes of '07 - Motown soul mixed with old school R&B. She also told me to **** off during a gig earlier this year which is always a bonus.

We should enjoy her while we we can. Her huge drinking problem and erratic behaviour suggests this is only going to end in tragedy.

Just gave Back To Black a listen...I must say that I'm impressed. Her voice is fantastic, the soulful beats were familiar, yet enjoyable and authentic. I had a good time.

Saw her on TV for a while the other day.

I'd say she's less of a goddess and more of an annoying whore. :shrug: But you know what they say, one man's trash...

Lancemc said:
Saw her on TV for a while the other day.

I'd say she's less of a goddess and more of an annoying whore. :shrug: But you know what they say, one man's trash...

You gathered she was a whore just from seeing her on TV? What was she doing?

What would she be doing to gather she was a goddess? Creating new species? Crafting planets?

Don't take everything so damn literally. She seemed ramarkably trashy. And I personally wouldn't touch her with a 10-foot pole.

Lancemc said:
What would she be doing to gather she was a goddess? Creating new species? Crafting planets?

Don't take everything so damn literally. She seemed ramarkably trashy. And I personally wouldn't touch her with a 10-foot pole.

winehouse270706_544x600.jpg

:yikes:

Well, I think to perhaps exaggerate a bit as a compliment to call someone a goddess is a little nicer than to call somebody a whore for no good reason. I just think it's funny that somebody can so easily label somebody a whore, but if you think it's funny I can so easily label somebody a goddess, then that's that.

I take issue with the casual "whore" label that gets tossed around at women, no matter how jokey or snarky the intent is.

Oddly enough, if someone says "she looks/dresses like a whore," that's a little different, because you're just describing her clothes. :shrug:

That is indeed that. And I don't think it's funny you can so easily label somebody a goddess. I have no problem with that in itself, but I did think it's funny you called me out on my exaggeration. I wouldn't say calling someone a goddess is "exaggerating a bit". At least no more than calling someone a whore without knowing them.

Lancemc said:
That is indeed that. And I don't think it's funny you can so easily label somebody a goddess. I have no problem with that in itself, but I did think it's funny you called me out on my exaggeration. I wouldn't say calling someone a goddess is "exaggerating a bit". At least no more than calling someone a whore without knowing them.

BC's point wasn't that one comparison is more ridiculous than the other, but that:

Bonochick said:
I think to perhaps exaggerate a bit as a compliment to call someone a goddess is a little nicer than to call somebody a whore for no good reason.

It's a matter of courtesy, not absurdity.

I think she looks much better in that second picture. I saw it elsewhere recently ... it's from a few years ago, I think.

Courtesy? There's almost no such thing in the realm of celebrity unfortunately. It would be a difference story if I called Bonochick a whore for no good reason, because she doesn't put herself out in the public eye. Not just that, but Winhouse purposely dresses and behaves like she does because that's what will make her stand out and get noticed. In other words, she's asking for it.

Therefore, she's putting herself out there to be judged by the public. Obviously some people will love her and other will hate her. Here we have two perfect examples of that. Bonochick sees her as she is, likes she she sees/hear/whatever, and compliments her be calling her a goddess. I see/hear/whatever her as she is, dislikes it, and insults her by calling her a whore.

That's just how it goes. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Courtesy? There's almost no such thing in the realm of celebrity unfortunately. It would be a difference story if I called Bonochick a whore for no good reason, because she doesn't put herself out in the public eye. Not just that, but Winhouse purposely dresses and behaves like she does because that's what will make her stand out and get noticed. In other words, she's asking for it.

Therefore, she's putting herself out there to be judged by the public. Obviously some people will love her and other will hate her. Here we have two perfect examples of that. Bonochick sees her as she is, likes she she sees/hear/whatever, and compliments her be calling her a goddess. I see/hear/whatever her as she is, dislikes it, and insults her by calling her a whore.

That's just how it goes. :shrug:

You're allowed to have your opinion about someone, but don't be surprised if you're called on for it like you were today..."whore" is much more controversial than "goddess". :wink:

For me, I'm still on the fence with her...she has an amazing voice, but she does dress rather whorishly. :hmm:

See, I don't even think she has that great of a voice. She sounds very good on the album, but you have to account for snazzy production tricks and limitless takes. All the live performances I've seen leave me extremely unimpressed. She'll be history in <5 years.

Back
Top Bottom