MERGED --> All Oscar Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Oscar Nominations

Quite a few surprises..no nom for Nicole, Cold Mountain for Best Picture. Hopefully that means ROTK will win. Also that girl from Whale Rider. I think she's about 13

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER
Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS
Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA
Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER
Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA
Charlize Theron - MONSTER
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL
Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER
Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN
Ren?e Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

BEST PICTURE

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

MUSIC (SONG)
"Into the West" - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
"A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" - A MIGHTY WIND
"Scarlet Tide" - COLD MOUNTAIN
"The Triplets of Belleville" - THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
"You Will Be My Ain True Love" - COLD MOUNTAIN

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

AMERICAN SPLENDOR
CITY OF GOD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
FINDING NEMO
IN AMERICA
LOST IN TRANSLATION

not that it matters but...

I forgot Director

Fernando Meirelles for CITY OF GOD

Peter Jackson for THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Peter Weir for MASTER & COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

Sofia Coppola for LOST IN TRANSLATION

Clint Eastwood for MYSTIC RIVER

I think it will be a travesty if Peter Jackson doesn't win, but he probably won't

I think Peter Jackson will win, and that ROTK will win Best Picture.
I think the stats are that in that past 10 years, 90% of the Best Picture winners at the Golden Globes won Best Picture at the Oscars. This is the end of the trilogy, and I'm sure it will get all it's recognition now. However, I am still rooting a lot for Lost in Translation :sexywink:

I can't believe Ren?e won the Golden Globe and is also nominated for an Oscar for that hideous performance in that ridiculous movie. Why do all movies on the South turn into a parody of the South with everyone overacting? Renee reminded me of Granny Clampett or something and people call that serious acting. I don't get it. It was one of the worst movies I saw all year. Not to mention Nicole looking like a super model in the middle of the Civil War.

:down:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I hope Renee doesn't win. :down:

Nicole was nominated the past two years and won last year for "The Hours", so that would explain her not being nominated this year.

I think she wasn't nominated because she sucked. :wink:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Let me be the first to say...it's political. :p

I don't think he'll actually win it, but personally I LOVED Johnny Depp in POTC. :up: :)

Yeah, you're probably right...but I'm still sticking to my 'she sucked' story. :wink:

I loved Johnny, too...didn't like the movie so much but loved Johnny. ALWAYS love Johnny. :love:

Re: Oscar Nominations

Here's what I would choose:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Haven't seen ANY of these, and haven't heard of most of them. :huh:

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER

I think she was PHENOMENAL in this movie.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Again, haven't seen any of these.

BEST PICTURE

MUSIC (SONG)

I don't really care about this category. :reject:

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

I would say ROTK, but I haven't seen City of Gods yet, and plan to see it in a couple of weeks, I'm abstaining from voting. ;)

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

DIRTY PRETTY THINGS

SO excited to see this nominated for something, but I REALLY wish Chiwetel Ejiofor had been nominated for his performance. Anyway, everyone should go watch this movie, now.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

FINDING NEMO

I really think the path is clear for ROTK to win. If it doesn't get the Oscar, they can chalk it up and never hold a ceremony again because no one will take them seriously. :mad: Evem if your not a big LOTR fan, you just can't deny that those films are incredible pieces of work.

I think the fact that none of the actors were nominated tips it into ROTK favor too--to reward the performances, they'll reward the film. One would hope. (I wanted Sean Astin to be nominated too...sigh)

Everyone knows Renee Zellweger will win--the fact that she's been nominated twice (or is it three times?) for average performances means she's going to get one, whether she deserves it or not. :down: I don't even want to think what she probably did with the Weinsteins...

But for every Renee Zellweger nomination, they actually do something right and nominate a guy like Johnny Depp. :up: :heart:

"Master and Commander" was a great movie and in any other year, I would be rooting for it to win. It's too bad that it's getting buried by all the other epics this year.

Last edited:
no opinion. the only movies i saw that are nominated for anything were lord of the rings and finding nemo.

but finding nemo rules :shifty:

WHERE'S SEAN AUSTIN !!!!! :rant: :mad: :angry:

HAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ... Cold Mountain got NOTHING... :lmao: (I hate it because even before it premiered it was being nominated to every award posible .angry: )

I know that Sean Penn deserves this, but one of my all time favorite is Bill Murray. From Ghostbusters to that Christmas movie... he rocks!

Go PETER JACKSON AND LORD OF THE RINGS... OF COURSE THEY'LL WIN !!! :wink:

This awards show is one of the most political things out, I really dont think it is very democratic and it is highly subjective but anyway I really do hope Johnny wins for POTC, in all seriousness he really is a remarkable actor- has he ever been nominated before, surely he should of for 'Ed Wood' or 'Gilbert Grape'. But seriously anyone who can pull off a Keith Richards inspired Pirate deserves to win in my book. And I also hope that Peter Jackson after three years gets the recognition that he deserves for LOTR. And can someone please explain to me the story behind Lost in Translation- I went and saw this because I love Bill Murray and I thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. I thought that the characters were not well defined and once again it went down the usual 'Hollywood cliche' of an older man with a younger woman, although I give it credit for not making them sleep together. Anyway can someone please let me know what I am missing with this film- it has received so many great reviews, why dont I like it????:)

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
Again, Johnny Depp should win, but won't, because no part that involves a Keith Richards-inspired pirate will win. That said, I think Sean Penn is almost a lock.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Well, Benicio del Toro is almost always great, but he did already win and not that long ago (for Traffic), and Tim Robbins got the Golden Globe. Draw between del Toro and Robbins.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:
This will be a hard category to call. Theron and Keaton both won at the Golden Globes. Keaton would be safe, but the Oscars just went safe last year (Nicole Kidman in The Hours). Theron would be riskier and the kid from Whale Rider would be even riskier. Still, I'm going to play it safe and say Diane Keaton.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Aghdashloo won't win because no one has ever heard of her and Clarkson won't win because no one has ever heard of the movie. In this case, I think winning the Globe will work against Zellweger. Since everyone is fawning all over Mystic River and Harden is a critics' darling, I'm going to call this one for her.

BEST PICTURE:
Everyone is saying Return of the King is a shoo-in, but I sincerely doubt it. It will have serious competition from Mystic River and Lost in Translation. The question is, can those old stodgy Oscar voters forgive Coppola for Godfather III yet? Even if they can, Lost in Translation still might be too small a movie. So let's say the competition comes down to Return of the King and Mystic River. If Mystic River wins a whole bunch of acting awards, as it already has and probably will, Oscar voters might feel sympathy for Return of the King. Thus I'll tentatively say Return of the King, but only if Mystic River grabs most of the acting prizes. (And, hey, where's Viggo?)

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY):
Return of the King is a safe bet here, I think, although from what I understand, American Splendor may be its most serious competition. City of God won't win because, if I am not mistaken, no foreign film ever has.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY):
Throw out The Barbarian Invasions and Dirty Pretty Things right off the bat, and probably Finding Nemo too. That leaves In America and Lost in Translation. Coppola will probably win this one, especially if she loses for Director.

DIRECTOR:

Throw out Mireilles and Weir right away, leaving you with Coppola, Eastwood, and Jackson. Coppola is a tossup because of the screenwriting nomination (and, again, Godfather III). Jackson is a good pick, especially if Return loses Best Picture, but Eastwood might have sentiment working in his favor. I think if Coppola wins screenplay, it'll come down to Jackson and Eastwood; Jackson should win, but Eastwood probably will.

OzAurora said:
And can someone please explain to me the story behind Lost in Translation- I went and saw this because I love Bill Murray and I thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. I thought that the characters were not well defined and once again it went down the usual 'Hollywood cliche' of an older man with a younger woman, although I give it credit for not making them sleep together. Anyway can someone please let me know what I am missing with this film- it has received so many great reviews, why dont I like it????:)

Wow, it was about so much more than an older man and a younger woman. In fact, it wasn't about that at all--to me. It's hard to say exactly what it was about because there was so much going on, in a look, a gesture, in the silence and monotony of nothing happening at all, which is the way life is sometimes. I saw two strangers connecting, really connecting, in a strange place and a strange time in their lives. It's subtle. I guess I related to it. I travel a lot; I find myself in strange places where nothing is happening and I end up talking about personal things with someone I will never see again. I thought the acting was amazing--those two characters were so real to me. The cinematography was gorgeous. Arty without being pretentious. Touching without being sentimental. A love story without the romance. I laughed a lot and thought it was odd that I was the only person in the theatre laughing at times, except for when I saw it a second time with a friend and then there were only two of us laughing. I don't know--it struck a chord with me.

Of course, the only nomination that really counts is the one for Foreign Language Film: :wink:
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS (Canada)
EVIL (Sweden)
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI (Japan)
TWIN SISTERS (The Netherlands, a.k.a. De Tweeling)
?ELARY (Czech Republic)

The past few years saw a number of Dutch movies being nominated, or even win (1986, 1995, 1998), so who knows?

C ya!

Marty (hasn't seen Twin Sisters though :reject: )

Truly, Johnny Depp could win--although Bill and Sean both did better jobs. That said, Bill was better--Sean was a little more theatrical, over the top, but all in all, still good. If the votes split, Depp could take it home. He was good, but it's not his best work. And it'd be nice to see Murray get some recognition as a serious actor. Joyfulgirl, I completely agree with everything you've said about the film.

Keisha Castle-Hughes was phenomenal. For a younger actress. But then again, it's difficult to judge whether she was simply reacting to the director's direction, or really into the role. That said, I'd rather see Watts or Morton win. I thought Morton was fantastic. But Theron WILL get the Oscar because she's pretty and gained 30 pounds for the role. I haven't seen Monster, and I'm sure she was good, but still.

So much of this is politics and sentiment. I wonder why I watch it at all. Maybe so I can have something to rant about??

ROTK..all the way *fingers crossed*

the billy crystal appreciation thread

you look mahvelous!

123_hostbio.jpg

i :heart: billy crystal

i always find the oscars more entertaining and laugh the most when he is the host. welcome back mr. crystal...one funny, funny man. :up:

Back
Top Bottom