MERGED--> ALL New Radiohead/Hail To The Thief Discussion Goes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deathbear, how do you like the new Radiohead?

i'm diggin' it so far!

kind of reminds me of The Bends(which is my fave).

i know you're a huge Radiohead fan, so i was curious to hear your take on it.

comments from other posters will be deleted.

thanks.

Lemon Meringue said:
Ali Rose, If you burn me a copy, I would appreciate it if you do not make out with it before you give it to me. :sexywink:

:eek: too late.....

*burns another*

i'll try to control myself this time....

Re: Deathbear, how do you like the new Radiohead?

mikal said:
i'm diggin' it so far!

kind of reminds me of The Bends(which is my fave).

i know you're a huge Radiohead fan, so i was curious to hear your take on it.

comments from other posters will be deleted.

thanks.

ive been thinking about it more lately, and my assumption is that the cd will be hardly any different than what you hear now.

so i will openly say that i think radiohead need a new producer. i understand what they did with kid a and amnesiac, but this album is not like those in anyway.

what im getting at is the sound. its quite. WAY too quite. the energy has been completely sucked out of it.

i still like it a lot, but the live versions of these songs but this to shame.

i mean sit down stand up for example. how, HOW could they have butchered this song so bad? i mean really, it disturbs me.

we'll see how i feel about it once im holding the cd in my hands. but in the meantime, i truly believe theyve butchered themselves in the studio.

sorry nigel.

tommorow, btw, i could have a totally different opinion. im grouchy.

While listening in headphones....The beginning of "The Gloaming" actually Tickles your eardrums. As well as some parts throughout the song. :up:

:D

Carry on.

actually ali rose, it tickles your ear drums so to speak because its not mastered. if you had to listen to that album for too long your ears would get really sore.

in fact, jonny recently said what everyone is hearing is from the FIRST day of MIXING.

Mr. Zoombear,
I have a question. Since I haven't heard it yet, I am wondering if you meant quiet or quite in your earlier post? Not sure what to expect. Not sure if I'll dig it if it's quiet. Although, I do like amnesiac...was that considered quiet?

okay. bye.

at last...I heard there there on the radio yesterday.The drumming caught my ear first, I thought, what's this? the Shadows? but then it developed. I was near the stereo , so put the headphones on. !WOW! he sure can sing. Good stuff:thumbs up:
There is so much more good music to come. It's incredible and delightful. We're lucky eh?

yes cass the drums are awesome, but they could not possibly be loud enough. thats my beef.

and im not grouchy today, and now i really love the album again... :wink:

and yes lemon, i meant quiet. i feel songs like scatterbrain and the gloaming should beat it, same with we suck young blood. replace those with up on the ladder, and youll be a superstar in my eyes.

amnesiac was very quiet.

hail to the thief is loud compared to amn, but i figured it would be louder.

im just a stupid idiot. im way too picky. my apologies.

no bear...you dont get it....I heard it again today on the radio.....the drums on the mastered version are much louder and prominent. Seems to have more energy....I think you'll be quite pleased ....Surely you can download the real version by now....being that its on the radio and all.

Ali Rose said:
no bear...you dont get it....I heard it again today on the radio.....the drums on the mastered version are much louder and prominent. Seems to have more energy....I think you'll be quite pleased ....Surely you can download the real version by now....being that its on the radio and all.

:hyper: what radio station? :hyper:

Deathbear, I think the reason it sounds too quiet (and I agree it does sound a bit too quiet, so turn the FRIGGIN volume up) is that we are listening to MP3s. I just think this sort of thing compresses music and makes it sound small and tinny to some extent. I mean, There There on the radio sounds noticeably 'fuller' to me, though it's not really altered in any way to the MP3s.

I've heard it said that U2's albums are also mixed too low. If you put on almost any random album by any artist at a moderately loud level, then afterwards put on the Joshua tree, you have an urge to turn the volume knob up a few notches, cause it's so damd quiet. I find I have to turn POP up to the max just to get the full impact of Discotheque. If I can't feel it in my bones, it's too quiet.

while mp3s are definately not perfect quality, i do believe they are superior to fm radio broadcasts.

:mad: Drive 105. :D They played it Thrusday and Friday morn between 9-10 am. Both times. Weird tho cuz it never shows up on their websites minute by minute playlist. :confused:

Listened to the "Final" version today. Hardly different at all, but the subtle differences definitly make it better.

(take for granted that the "final" version I listened to was an online version, not the cd)

nothing yet, zonelistener. theres talk of something in august, late summer. thats all ive heard.

u2popmofo said:
Listened to the "Final" version today. Hardly different at all, but the subtle differences definitly make it better.

(take for granted that the "final" version I listened to was an online version, not the cd)

Yeah, I listened to it as well. Mixed sounds def better, but the songs are the same. Guitars louder, drums up, vocals out blahhhhh blahhhh blahhhh. Rocks my world tho. Still. I think this might be my fave RH album? What do you think MOFO?

HeadsOnSticks said:

Yeah, I listened to it as well. Mixed sounds def better, but the songs are the same. Guitars louder, drums up, vocals out blahhhhh blahhhh blahhhh. Rocks my world tho. Still. I think this might be my fave RH album? What do you think MOFO?

At the moment, I sure do like it more than any of their others.

I know that Ickies wont like me for saying this, but it reminds me of Radiohead's All That You Can't Leave Behind. It pulls together the best of everything Radiohead has done before onto one album. That's just my opinion.

Heads, now atease is saying that version was the "unmixed" version and not the final version. Sheesh.

Captain Zoomerwang,

Yesterday atease had a link on their front page (it was somewhat hidden) that they said was a link to a streaming version of the final version. Now that same link says that it is just a streaming version of the unmixed version.

It angers me.

fair enough, thats interesting.

remember when i said i was mad at this album? i changed my mind yesterday again. i love it madly. every song except scatterbrain and we suck young blood.

though i must admit, it appears thom is trying is hardest to be like autechre and aphex twin on tracks like the gloaming and backdrifts.

Zoomerang96 said:
fair enough, thats interesting.

remember when i said i was mad at this album? i changed my mind yesterday again. i love it madly. every song except scatterbrain and we suck young blood.

though i must admit, it appears thom is trying is hardest to be like autechre and aphex twin on tracks like the gloaming and backdrifts.

You just slammed two of the best tracks on the album?!?
BTW...RH left their Autechre influences behind on Kid A. Well, maybe not on The Gloaming...but Backdrifts sounds nothing like them or Aphex Twin.

Don't you like the amazing breakdown in WSYB? When Thom "yelps" YEAH. God, I love that part. I keep replaying that part over and over.

OK, enuff of my rant. Everyone, everyone around heeeeere...is entitled to their own opinion.

But, I think me and my homie U2Popmofo would, and prolly do disagree with ya.

scatterbrain is nothing more than filler, and that is my opinion until i hear something more to it.

we suck young blood just doesnt do it for me.

im not slagging the album, im just saying those two songs are quite poor compare to the rest.

Back
Top Bottom