MERGED-->All Current Pearl Jam Discussion Here (Including Tour)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
was great :up:
but... I enjoyed it sitting, because I only knew 4 songs, I know that for the fans that waited for 10 years was huge, and more tonight... 3 hours!... :ohmy:

Vedder said bad words in Spanish :censored: :lol:

Hello,

Yesterday I bought the recording from State College, Pennsylvania from May 3rd 2003. This is one of the few that's officially released in the shops (in contrast to the Internet where you can buy all the shows). I have to say it sounds good, again (I also have 16 shows from 2000, so that's for reference material). I'm only listening to it for the first time though. I mean, 3CD's do take some time to get through. :)

I still don't know why I haven't seen them live before. OK, last time it was a bit awkward here in the Netherlands as the final show should have been in Rotterdam, but the tour was cut short because of Roskilde (understandable). But next time I think I'll be there!

C ya!

Marty

jack in the box...yah...I heard that he spoke alot in Spanish...this I gotta hear :lol: :hyper: I'm sorry you didn't know any more songs....but for next time, what you gotta do is listen to a crap load of PJ before the show. ;) :hug:
Popmartijn...great choice in boots :up: Hey..you never know..they might be coming your way this fall...there's already a ton of rumours about them going to Europe...I know that Paris...Italy and Poland are already on the rumour mill!!! :hyper:
And here's a pic from the press conference they did in Mexico
Eddie and his glasses...reminds me of Bono :lol:
3.jpg

Awesome POpmartijn, you must tell us how you like the boots after you've had a time to listen to them! ;) And you MUST MUST MUST MUST (I can't stress this enough) MUST SEE THEM LIVE SOMETIME!!! :p

:)

Eddie actually tried to talk in Spanish the whole time and you know what he pretty much did with a few English words here and there! LMAO That is so awesome of him! One time he got stuck in a spanish word and the whole crowd helped him with it! :lmao: it's hilarious!!!

And all the "Eddie Eddie Eddie " chants! :D

Awww, Stone's B-day song was so nice! LOL "STONE STONE STONE" LOL

I wanna see this on video!! :hyper: and I hope soon I will! :hyper:

Mrs. Vedder said:
Awesome POpmartijn, you must tell us how you like the boots after you've had a time to listen to them! ;) And you MUST MUST MUST MUST (I can't stress this enough) MUST SEE THEM LIVE SOMETIME!!! :p

:)

Hello,

Well, it took me some time yesterday, but I got to listen to all of it (once). Hey, it is a 3+ hours concert. And it's again a great one. Sure, there are some mistakes here and there, but there's also some awesome playing.
In a way there isn't much difference with the 2000 tour (except for the new songs, but there are only 4 of them on this set), but since that tour was also very good it doesn't matter that much. I do have to say that I thought I heard some keyboards on some of the tracks, so does anyone know if they had an extra musician with them this time?
After one listen it's too early for me to single out any highlights, but I do have to say that some tracks had very extended versions (RVM, Daughter, Betterman, Porch).

And yes, I think I do have to see them live in the (near) future. I've read about the rumours, but I've also read about signs that there will not be a European tour for this album. We just have to wait and see...

Marty (who hopes that the concert with that pre-set will also be released)

Cool! Glad you liked them! And yes the keyboard sounds come from Kenneth "Boom" Gaspar, a friend of Vedder's. He's from Hawaii and plays a killer Hammond B3. If you hear songs on the album like "Love Boat Captain" you can hear Booms playing in there. He was added to their tours to add keyboards to old tunes like "betterman," "black" and Crazy Mary." He does a really great solo in Crazy Marry! Very cool!!

Last edited:
I have 6 boots from the aussie/japan tour,

NewOrleans, Pittsburgh, Philly, Buffalo, Uniondale, and State College from Leg1,

and just ordered Irvine1, Vegas, Montreal, Mansfield 1,2,&3, Camden1, MSG1&2, Hershey, Holmdel, and Mexico1&3 from Leg2.

Yeah, did I mention I like these guys?

U2 MUST do something like this for next time. even if it isn't every show, just some of the better performances.

BTW, I should add that now I have the Pennsylvania show I finally could place a snippet U2 played long ago. When I heard Pearl Jam play Gimme Some Truth (a John Lennon song, IIRC) I thought to myself "Hey, I know this!" Bono often sang a part of this at the end of Wire during the Unforgettable Fire tour. I never knew whether it was a Bono original or a snippet from another artist. Well, now I do know. FWIW, the Pearl Jam version of Gimme Some Truth is quite good, as is their version of Fortunate Son (another song U2 covered before).

C ya!

Marty

Clark W. Griswold said:
I have 6 boots from the aussie/japan tour,

NewOrleans, Pittsburgh, Philly, Buffalo, Uniondale, and State College from Leg1,

and just ordered Irvine1, Vegas, Montreal, Mansfield 1,2,&3, Camden1, MSG1&2, Hershey, Holmdel, and Mexico1&3 from Leg2.

Yeah, did I mention I like these guys?

U2 MUST do something like this for next time. even if it isn't every show, just some of the better performances.

Awesome Clark W. Griswold Jr!!! I was at Irvine 1 and it was a good concert! My favorite of all the ones I saw!! ;)

I hope U2 would do something like this! That would be awesome!!

Popmartijn said:
BTW, I should add that now I have the Pennsylvania show I finally could place a snippet U2 played long ago. When I heard Pearl Jam play Gimme Some Truth (a John Lennon song, IIRC) I thought to myself "Hey, I know this!" Bono often sang a part of this at the end of Wire during the Unforgettable Fire tour. I never knew whether it was a Bono original or a snippet from another artist. Well, now I do know. FWIW, the Pearl Jam version of Gimme Some Truth is quite good, as is their version of Fortunate Son (another song U2 covered before).

C ya!

Marty

I love PJ's version of Gimmie some truth! It was a Christmas single too for the ten club!! I just love it! I got to hear PJ cover "Fortunate Son" at Irvine 2!! With Jack Irons on drums! Very cool! I've always loved that song by CCR!!

Popmartijn said:

C ya!

Marty
OMG Marty....
this is a very cool little tidbit of info...now I am in the hunt of UF boots...LMFAO!
You rock :love:

mmmBono said:
OMG Marty....
this is a very cool little tidbit of info...now I am in the hunt of UF boots...LMFAO!
You rock :love:

Uh...
OK!
:D

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Don't expect too much of it, it is a small snippet at the end of Wire (about 20 seconds), so not the whole song.

Popmartijn said:

Uh...
OK!

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Don't expect too much of it, it is a small snippet at the end of Wire (about 20 seconds), so not the whole song.
:der: what we must do for 20 sec. snippets :der:
Hey Marty...just out of curiousity....do you remember the date of this show...or even better date AND place of this show where they did this?
:hyper:
Yes I'm :coocoo:
:lol:

AAAAHHHH! WOOHOOOO!

OHMYEDDIE! My lil niece is here with my sister and she just came in giving me a package! YES! I got it! It's here! THE MEXICO #3 SHOW on VHS! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :dance: :dance: :combust: :combust:

AAAAHHHHH! I'm so happy! The guy who sent it to me is really cool.. he even met Mike! He send me a pic of him with Mike! OME OME OME OME OME! I got to finish up cleaning the house..... run some errands, take a shower and then sit down and watch it! OME!

Re: AAAAHHHH! WOOHOOOO!

Autumn I promise I will some how make you a copy of this along with the other PJ video! I don't know how but I will!! Damn my bro always forgets to bring his damn VCR so I can record, that's it I will make him bring it to me next week!

OHMYEDDIE! :combust: :hyper:

Re: Re: AAAAHHHH! WOOHOOOO!

Mrs. Vedder said:
Autumn I promise I will some how make you a copy of this along with the other PJ video! I don't know how but I will!! Damn my bro always forgets to bring his damn VCR so I can record, that's it I will make him bring it to me next week!

OHMYEDDIE! :combust: :hyper:
OMFG!!! OME!!!
Thank YOU MONICA!!! YOU ROCK!!! :bow:
I love you. :hyper:
Speaking of Mexico 3...
Wtf is Boom wearing here?!! :lol:
mexi24.jpg

:scratch:

mmmBono said:
:der: what we must do for 20 sec. snippets :der:
Hey Marty...just out of curiousity....do you remember the date of this show...or even better date AND place of this show where they did this?
:hyper:
Yes I'm :coocoo:
:lol:

Hello mmmBono,

I'm not totally sure of it, but I think he sang it at every concert. I'll listen to some recordings tomorrow (don't have time tonight), but I'm pretty sure it was a standard thing by Bono. The recording of the 21 March 1985 show (Chicago) certainly has it.

C ya!

Marty (who's also :coocoo: )

Hello,

Tonight I checked my 4 1/2 Unforgettable Fire Tour concert recordings for Bono's snippet of Gimme Some Truth at the end of Wire. I only found it on recordings of 1 February 1985, Mannheim (which may be the premiere of this snippet), 4 February 1985, Milan and 21 March 1985, Chicago. The first 2 recordings can be found on the bootleg Thank U Too For The Fire, the last one on Four At Four. IMO is the Chicago one the best though.

Oh, the part Bono tries to sing is:
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

Tonight I checked my 4 1/2 Unforgettable Fire Tour concert recordings for Bono's snippet of Gimme Some Truth at the end of Wire. I only found it on recordings of 1 February 1985, Mannheim (which may be the premiere of this snippet), 4 February 1985, Milan and 21 March 1985, Chicago. The first 2 recordings can be found on the bootleg Thank U Too For The Fire, the last one on Four At Four. IMO is the Chicago one the best though.

Oh, the part Bono tries to sing is:
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope

C ya!

Marty.....you have done wondrous things. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thanking you would only be the start.
Yer awesome. :up:

:der:

:wink:

:wave:

Marty (who thinks that the version of Black on the 3 May 2003 State College recording is maybe the best Black he has in his collection)

yertle-the-turtle said:
and to be very circular

'MLK' was used as a daughter outro.

according to http://www.pjvault.com ,

MLK
|U2|w/i Daughter (short)
done on 07/07/93 and 07/08/98

Continuing the U2-PJ connection, above snippet was played while supporting U2 on the Zooropa Tour.
Here's the report from Five Horizons (and from their other U2 support dates):

07/02/93 - Stadio Bentegodi: Verona, Italy [45m]
supporting: U2
set: Even Flow, Animal, Go, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, Why Go, Jeremy, Black, Alive, Porch
notes: PJ is not received well at the shows opening for U2. The crowd is not into PJ and just wants U2.

07/03/93 - Stadio Bentegodi: Verona, Italy [45m]
set: Why Go, Jeremy, Even Flow, Glorified G, Daughter, Alive, Go, (Sympathy for the Devil)/Porch, Rockin' in the Free World
notes: Ed, wearing a shirt saying "Paul" (Bono's given name), again tries to enchant the audience, sporting a devil mask and a green fly mask. After duct taping the waist and both legs of his baggy shorts on, he then throws himself into the audience from the long arms of the "Zoo TV tour" stage arms twice.

07/06/93 - Stadio Flaminio: Rome, Italy [46m]
attendance: 80,000
set: Why Go, Jeremy, Even Flow, Glorified G, Daughter, Animal, Alive, Dissident, Blood, Porch/(Tearing)
notes: This crowd is clearly here for U2. Ed plugs the organizations (Greenpeace and Amnesty International) represented at this stadium concert by asking people to sign their names at their booths. The intro riff to U2's 'I Will Follow' is played before 'Daughter.'

07/07/93 - Stadio Flaminio: Rome, Italy [57m]
attendance: 80,000
set: Even Flow, improv, Go, Once, Rearviewmirror, Why Go, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(MLK), Alive, Black, Blood, Porch/(Tearing)
notes: The crowd seems a bit more into PJ than the previous show. At one point, Ed asks, "You all OK? I saw you all working it out up here in the front, which is good. The love music comes later on in the evening." U2's 'MLK' is covered briefly as a 'Daughter' rambling. At the show's conclusion, Ed dons Bono's fly mask saying, "the fly says goodbye" and exits.

C ya!

Marty

That's cool Popmartijn! You did your homework! LOL

Also, another PJ-U2 connection.... PJ would end every tour with the lights on... kinda like what U2 did for elevation only they came out with the lights on.... :D

Back
Top Bottom