MERGED-->All Current Interference Book Reading Discussion - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #61
The Fly

Local Time: 04:01 PM
Nighfall by Isaac Asimov & Robert Silverberg

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has read this book. I have just finished reading it, and would really like to have a discussion about what the true meaning (if any) there is. Most of all I would like to know what you think of the ending of the book. Personally I thought that Asimov/Silverberg could have written a much better, much more exciting ending. However, it still is one of the best books that I have had the privilege of reading in a long while.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT, READ IT TODAY!!!

Old 01-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #62
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 05:01 PM
I have to second "Fathers and Sons" by Turgenev

Let me also add that "Lord of the flies" sucked soooo bad.

Great. Someone mentioned "Great Expectations". *reading that right now and am very -->

Old 01-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Re: Re: lol!

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

I Faulkner, the anti-Hemingway.
I took a contemporary American literature class in college and we read "The Sun Also Rises" and "A Light in August." I was already a fan of Hemingway's work by then but knew very little about Faulkner, except that his book was long. I still loved it so much! Because of my journalism background, I like finding the shortest way to say something and really admire that quality in others, and though "A Light In August" was long, it wasn't wordy.
I'd think of Nathaniel Hawthorne or other 18th and 19th century writers as more anti-Hemingway than Faulkner.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:01 PM
I knew there would be a merger.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Re: Re: Re: lol!

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

I took a contemporary American literature class in college and we read "The Sun Also Rises" and "A Light in August." I was already a fan of Hemingway's work by then but knew very little about Faulkner, except that his book was long. I still loved it so much! Because of my journalism background, I like finding the shortest way to say something and really admire that quality in others, and though "A Light In August" was long, it wasn't wordy.
I'd think of Nathaniel Hawthorne or other 18th and 19th century writers as more anti-Hemingway than Faulkner.
No, Hemingway and Faulkner hated each other. The famous Hemingway quote regarding this was "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use."

The 18th and 19th century writers had a very descriptive style, but it was completely different from the style Faulkner used. Faulkner was much more experimental than Hemingway who just stuck with one style of writing.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:17 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox

I'm such an english nerd, I loved that book
Well, I'm glad someone likes it!

Some of you mentioned Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, and Ethan Frome- I liked all those books!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Giant Lemon

Some of you mentioned Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, and Ethan Frome- I liked all those books!
Me too, and everything by Dickens as well.

The merged thread thing is confusing me. Am I reading Hemingway or do I hate him?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:14 PM   #68
Elvis' Naughty Angel

ok meg, than inspire me to pick up my copy of Great Expectations! pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!! I just can't get into it. I have been on page 108 or something for months.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child
The Fellowship of the Ring
What's wrong with that?
I'm reading it too.. almost finished with it.. I also bought The Two Towers, so when I finish FotR (probably tomorrow) I can immediately start on that
Old 01-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
Currently: I just finished Surfacing by Margaret Atwood and Measure for Measure by Shakespeare.
How did you like Surfacing? I have the book and just can't get into it at all. I liked Atwood's "A Handmaid's Tale", but Surfacing is slow and I'm not finding the main character particularly interesting or appealing.

Just finished reading "Half a Life" by V.S. Naipaul (it was excellent), and am currently reading Dave Eggers' "A heartbreaking work of staggering genius". It's also a fantastic book.

ETA: I sat by the river Piedra and wept is by Paulo Coelho. I really didn't like the book, couldn't understand why the man wanted to be with the woman - everything was so forced, so deliberate, so obvious. Coelho's "The Alchemist" is far superior; even "The Fifth Mountain" is better, though not as good as the former.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:02 AM   #71
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:01 AM
i'm no critic, but i highly recommend How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, having just finished it!!! I'm not easily amused by most writers, but this book had my sides in stitches!! it's a great anecdote and commentary on mainstream media and people's obsession with stardom.
------------
although i've had my fill of classical literature, i highly enjoyed Old Man and the Sea
Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 AM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 06:01 AM

Good god I also hate Hemmingway. Firey passion. Of course I am a woman, so that helps. Just because you don't want to sleep with us doesn't mean that you should treat us as though we are the root of all evil Ernest. Honestly. And to him i say, poor Hemmingway, just because you have invented a style, that doesn't mean it's good. Learn to use punctuation.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:09 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

ETA: I sat by the river Piedra and wept is by Paulo Coelho. I really didn't like the book, couldn't understand why the man wanted to be with the woman - everything was so forced, so deliberate, so obvious. Coelho's "The Alchemist" is far superior; even "The Fifth Mountain" is better, though not as good as the former.
yeah, my roomate told me that "the alchemist" was good. haven't seen it around here (when you are on the side of a mountain in the Alps, you have to take what you can find. lol) but i will keep my eyes open. I too was a bit bewildered as to how the man was so "in love" with the woman. It seemed a bit forced. However, I did appreciate some of the themes regarding the feminine face of God. I just find that I would look directly to God, ala Bono seeing the Holy Spirit as feminine, than making the Virgin Mary into a divine being. Still...an interesting read.

Today I am re-reading one of my favorite Vonnegut books. "Cat's Cradle". It's short and funny and wry. I recommend it highly.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:16 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie

On Borrowed Words by Ilan Stavans. Not really enjoying it, but I have to finish the book so I can get a hold of another one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
The Virgin Suicides by Eugene something

Hehe. I liked that. I think it was by Jeffrey Eugenides or something.

Unforgettable Lemon, I've only seen the movie "In The Name Of The Father" , but I haven't read the book. Wasn't it called something else?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:25 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
That was it Dizzy lol