MERGED-->All Current Interference Book Reading Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luckily I don't go back to school for another month, so I have time (finally) to read some books for pleasure.
I just finished We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates--very good.
Next I plan to reread Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand--definitely one of the best books I've ever read. Bought it last year and loved it and thought I should read it again before the movie comes out later this year.:)

KhanadaRhodes said:

but frankenstein, man that sucked. we had to read it for 9th grade, and we all hated it. our teacher was so cool, he actually apologized for us having to read the crappy book and gave us an easy test. :D

Your class hated Frankenstein?? Mary Shelley'sFrankenstein? Holy shmokes, I absolutely LOVED that novel. It's one of the best works of fiction I've ever read.

But, to each their own. :shrug:

I'm about 25 pages left of Richard Powers Operation Wandering Soul...

Then I'll probably tackle Steve Erickson's Rubicon Beach and Thomas Pynchon's Slow Learner...

Oh yeah, also concurrently reading Michael Chabon's A Model World and Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain.

A Clockwork Orange was the reason I learned Russian. Such a damn fine novel. I am currently reading Infinate Jest and Carter Beats the Devil. I reccomend both highly.

pub crawler said:

Your class hated Frankenstein?? Mary Shelley'sFrankenstein? Holy shmokes, I absolutely LOVED that novel. It's one of the best works of fiction I've ever read.

:yes: Me too.

I HATED Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. :yuck:

madonna's child said:
Ethan Frome

I was supposed to read that book my senior year. However, I was tired of always getting wonderful grades and doing all of my homework, so I decided to not read a single page. Needless to say, I failed the test. It was the first and only time I ever purposely blew a test though...I wrote down all stupid answers. My teacher was shocked, to say the least. LOL

The Mahabahrata is the most confusing, boring and painful thing you could ever read. It has like 50 MAIN characters and many with similar names. So yeah it sucks.

I just finished The Hours by Michael Cunningham--incredible! Can't wait to see the movie this weekend.

Just read "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis, "I sat by the river piedra and wept" by someone whose name i forget, and just started reading "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy. :up:

I'm reading a book about about electronic guitars...I'm at the part where he took off a humbucker and explains the electronic stuff...:der:

Pasing the theory test for my driving lessons :crack:

Singing My Him Song- Malachy Mc Court

The Virgin Suicides by Eugene something :slant:

the 3rd life of Grange Copeland- alice Walker

In school: English: chaucer- the Canterbury Tales
French- boule de suif et autres contes de la guerre- guy De maupassant
spanish- el concierto de san ovidio

I cant read just one book :crack: :combust:

I forgot to mention Geoff Dyer's But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz. It is stunning!

brdemi said:

I just finished We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates--very good.

Hey, me too! And I read Foxfire over the break as well--another one worth checking out.

Other books I read during my break from school:

A Beautiful Mind, Sylvia Nasar
The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization, Thomas Friedman
Naked, David Sedaris

Right now I'm reading She Came to Stay, which was Simone de Beauvoir's first novel, loosely based on her relationship with Jean-Paul Sartre and how it was almost compromised by one of Sartre's affairs with a younger woman.

I liked or loved a lot of the books already listed, like Heart of Darkness, Ethan Frome, Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Old Man & The Sea.
I'm adore Ernest Hemingway, I just love tight, sparse writing so reading authors like Nathaniel Hawthorne and Jane Austen is complete torture for me. Hawthorne is the absolute worst -- sentences should not be more than a page long!

And someone had mentioned just finished A Farewell to Arms and maybe wanting to read more Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises is amazing!!!

"A Tale Of Two Cities" :barf: my teacher was awful and to this day this book gives me the shudders :der:

Despite many people loving and fainting all over this book, I can't stand "The Great Gatsby." That book just held absolutely NO interest to me.. it was so uninspiring and unoriginal. :tsk:

*shudder*

madonna's child said:
Ethan Frome

All I remember about Ethan Frome is my 10th grade english teacher going on and on about the "pickles and donut" analogy :sexywink::sexywink:"

:rolleyes:

She also gave a stupid football player an A despite the fact that he was stoopid! :angry:

Old man and The Sea rocks!!

I like his attention to detail...like he'll spend a good portion of a chapter talking about how the mans hands are cut up and bleeding from so much fishing

I just finished the Two Towers and a book called A Case of Need by Michael Crichton. Now reading, The Punch: One Night, Two Lives, and the Fight That Changed Basketball Forever by John Feinstein and at some point an Anatomy textbook I bought.

Mona, was Flatland by Edwin Abbott? :barf:

And I seem to have blocked most of House On Mango Street from my memory - all I remember is being incredibly bored.

Nighfall by Isaac Asimov & Robert Silverberg

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has read this book. I have just finished reading it, and would really like to have a discussion about what the true meaning (if any) there is. Most of all I would like to know what you think of the ending of the book. Personally I thought that Asimov/Silverberg could have written a much better, much more exciting ending. However, it still is one of the best books that I have had the privilege of reading in a long while.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT, READ IT TODAY!!!

see: **Christmas present and what is on your bedside table?** thread

I got my first pair of prescription reading glasses about a month ago. :happy: :dance:Mr.Tchan :bow: :kiss: They are very:cool:imho...well not just my humble opinion, hub said I look good in them.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO, I am working my way through a huge bookshelf. heaven, I'm in heaven .
These threads are great, they spark ideas. That's always good.ty

"To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf...

I know alot of people love Woolf, but I could not make any sense of that book. I admired the writing, but it was like putting oatmeal in my brain or something.

"The Scarlet Letter" was ugh too.

Elisabeth

sulawesigirl4 said:
..."I sat by the river piedra and wept" by someone whose name i forget, and just started reading "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy. :up:
I believe that is by Paulo Coehlo.

I am reading "Great Expectations" but I'd rather be reading something war-like or historical.
My friend wants me to read it and I have been trying to since last October. Someone please tell me it gets interesting.......

Back
Top Bottom