MERGED ----> Across the Universe - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:25 PM
I've just seen Across the Universe.

While it doesn't come out in some theaters until Friday, I was able to go to a special screening for college students in New York City tonight.

The entire movie was absolutely amazing in every way. The covers were all done very well and the main characters all had pretty good voices. The songs helped to move the plot along very nicely.

With a Little Help From My Friends, I've Just Seen A Face, Come Together, Dear Prudence, Strawberry Fields Forever, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Hey Jude, All You Need is Love, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds were all highlights.

But two of the best songs in the movie were I Am The Walrus and the Benefit of Mr. Kite.

The Benefit of Mr. Kite looked like something straight out of Monthy Python.

Bono was absolutely amazing and hilarious. He was like a 1960s hippie version of The Fly with Jack Nicholson's accent. He completely owned I Am The Walrus.

So yeah, I strongly recommend this movie to anyone who's a fan of The Beatles. Go see it as soon as you can.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Thanks for the review

I have a feeling this will be a hit or miss for most, but it seems like a surefire hit for me.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 PM
I've read a lot of early reviews for this.

Sounds like it will be a mindblowing music video.

Sounds like it will be a lousy motion picture.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I've read a lot of early reviews for this.

Sounds like it will be a mindblowing music video.

Sounds like it will be a lousy motion picture.
Haha, I think you nailed my view.

I just posted this in another thread but here it is again.

My interest in this movie has been so up and down, I barely knew anything about it other than the fact that there was a movie coming out with the title. Then the trailer hit, the first trailer is about two minutes of what's made to look like an interesting story about youth in the 60's, and then it randomly throws 30 seconds in of the trippy visuals, nothing really Beatles musical related, it was made to look more inspired by the lyrics, which I think would have been cooler. Then I read about it and so later trailers and I flip flopped between being somewhat intrigued and kind of put off. Now that I've seen it, it's the same I think, it's quite the experience and unlike many Beatles covers they aren't horrible (and I don't take as much offense as it was for a reason) but at the same time, the names went to far sometime Jude and Lucy was one thing but Prudence, Sadie, etc, too much, and the dialogue when its there is rather cliche as is the story. By no means is it a great narrative, and I don't love cover music but it's not spitting on the memory of the Beatles, even if it takes the words at the superficial meanings to often. The visuals are eye-popping and it's certainly different and I recommend checking it out, but it isn't a complete package.

Also, I just read that the budget was $45m, it's certainly not going to be any kind of smash, it's gonna take some generous viewers internationally and DVD money to recoup that.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 06:25 PM
I saw it this Friday too!!! I liked it, though i would have eliminated some scenes, other than that it was a TRIP!!

and Yeah Hippy Trippy Dr.Roberts, aka Bono ...LOVED his part!!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I wouldn't have guessed that from your avatar
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

And signature for that matter.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I really liked the movie. I'm a bigtime Beatles fan so I was wary of it to begin with, but I think they did an excellent job with it. (Yeah I knew about it a long long time ago because of Bono's involvement, but I was still looking forward to it even when it went thru the phase of having all his scenes cut from the film.) The singers did the songs justice, and I really like some of the versions a lot. It was fun to watch, especially scenes like With a Little Help from My Friends. And I am glad they put Bono back in, he was pretty hilarious. I wouldn't call him the icing on the cake because I think this movie already has that, but he was the cherry on top.
I'll go see it again
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Thanks for that review...I'm really looking forward to seeing it
Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 09:25 PM
I'm going to see it on Friday.

I hope and can exercise some restraint and not sing along.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
The Male

I love the Beatles too much to see this movie. The fact that there are characters named Jude, Lucy, and Sadie is bad enough, but once I heard that they used I Want You for an army montage, that crossed the line.

Now.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I love the Beatles too much to see this movie. The fact that there are characters named Jude, Lucy, and Sadie is bad enough, but once I heard that they used I Want You for an army montage, that crossed the line.
Sounds like they're using that song ironically. The Uncle Sam draft posters featured the character pointing and saying "I WANT YOU...to join the U.S. Army". Considering the film is partially about the anti-war movement of the late 60's, it's fitting, and creative, to use the song this way.

The character name thing is a little precious, but so what? The Beatles were very tongue in cheek, and I'm sure the filmmakers' intent ran along the same lines. That the names of so many Beatles songs are common knowledge makes the whole thing kind of fun.

That being said, the movie could still be cheesy as all hell. But from what I've heard, people who are really into the band are more likely to enjoy themselves.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Sounds like they're using that song ironically. The Uncle Sam draft posters featured the character pointing and saying "I WANT YOU...to join the U.S. Army". Considering the film is partially about the anti-war movement of the late 60's, it's fitting, and creative, to use the song this way.

The character name thing is a little precious, but so what? The Beatles were very tongue in cheek, and I'm sure the filmmakers' intent ran along the same lines. That the names of so many Beatles songs are common knowledge makes the whole thing kind of fun.

That being said, the movie could still be cheesy as all hell. But from what I've heard, people who are really into the band are more likely to enjoy themselves.
Oh, I understand why they used it there. "It says 'I want you' on the poster, so let's use a song called I Want You there! And, to top it off, when they sing 'she's so heavy', let's show some soldiers lifting the statue of liberty across Vietnam!" (this actually happens in the film)

I definitely have a sense of humor, so I should be able to get into this film, but I dunno...it's just so cheesy. Maybe I'll rent it for a lark someday.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

That's exactly right In fact I think a non-Beatles fan is much less likely to enjoy it. All the familiararity is what makes it so fun.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Oh, I understand why they used it there. "It says 'I want you' on the poster, so let's use a song called I Want You there! And, to top it off, when they sing 'she's so heavy', let's show some soldiers lifting the statue of liberty across Vietnam!" (this actually happens in the film)

I definitely have a sense of humor, so I should be able to get into this film, but I dunno...it's just so cheesy. Maybe I'll rent it for a lark someday.

That is exactly how the scene goes with "she's so heavy" and the statue of liberty. But I laughed when I saw the scene, I liked it! That, along with the uncle sam thing was all part of the fun atmosphere of this film I think. I think you might be missing out if you don't go see it just for those reasons! Those scenes when put in context with the rest of the movie worked for me anyways. It's a fun ride thru all the years of the Beatles music, and after listening to the Beatles for 35+ years, seeing them interpretted in new fun ways on the big screen was a real treat.