MERGED ----> Across the Universe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey788

Refugee
I've just seen Across the Universe.

While it doesn't come out in some theaters until Friday, I was able to go to a special screening for college students in New York City tonight.

The entire movie was absolutely amazing in every way. The covers were all done very well and the main characters all had pretty good voices. The songs helped to move the plot along very nicely.

With a Little Help From My Friends, I've Just Seen A Face, Come Together, Dear Prudence, Strawberry Fields Forever, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Hey Jude, All You Need is Love, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds were all highlights.

But two of the best songs in the movie were I Am The Walrus and the Benefit of Mr. Kite.

The Benefit of Mr. Kite looked like something straight out of Monthy Python.

Bono was absolutely amazing and hilarious. He was like a 1960s hippie version of The Fly with Jack Nicholson's accent. He completely owned I Am The Walrus. :drool:

So yeah, I strongly recommend this movie to anyone who's a fan of The Beatles. Go see it as soon as you can.

Thanks for the review :up:

I have a feeling this will be a hit or miss for most, but it seems like a surefire hit for me.

I've read a lot of early reviews for this.

Sounds like it will be a mindblowing music video.

Sounds like it will be a lousy motion picture.

Lancemc said:

Haha, I think you nailed my view.

I just posted this in another thread but here it is again.

My interest in this movie has been so up and down, I barely knew anything about it other than the fact that there was a movie coming out with the title. Then the trailer hit, the first trailer is about two minutes of what's made to look like an interesting story about youth in the 60's, and then it randomly throws 30 seconds in of the trippy visuals, nothing really Beatles musical related, it was made to look more inspired by the lyrics, which I think would have been cooler. Then I read about it and so later trailers and I flip flopped between being somewhat intrigued and kind of put off. Now that I've seen it, it's the same I think, it's quite the experience and unlike many Beatles covers they aren't horrible (and I don't take as much offense as it was for a reason) but at the same time, the names went to far sometime Jude and Lucy was one thing but Prudence, Sadie, etc, too much, and the dialogue when its there is rather cliche as is the story. By no means is it a great narrative, and I don't love cover music but it's not spitting on the memory of the Beatles, even if it takes the words at the superficial meanings to often. The visuals are eye-popping and it's certainly different and I recommend checking it out, but it isn't a complete package.

Also, I just read that the budget was $45m, it's certainly not going to be any kind of smash, it's gonna take some generous viewers internationally and DVD money to recoup that.

I really liked the movie. I'm a bigtime Beatles fan so I was wary of it to begin with, but I think they did an excellent job with it. (Yeah I knew about it a long long time ago because of Bono's involvement, but I was still looking forward to it even when it went thru the phase of having all his scenes cut from the film.) The singers did the songs justice, and I really like some of the versions a lot. It was fun to watch, especially scenes like With a Little Help from My Friends. And I am glad they put Bono back in, he was pretty hilarious. I wouldn't call him the icing on the cake because I think this movie already has that, but he was the cherry on top. :wink:
I'll go see it again :up:

I love the Beatles too much to see this movie. The fact that there are characters named Jude, Lucy, and Sadie is bad enough, but once I heard that they used I Want You for an army montage, that crossed the line. :eyebrow:

LemonMelon said:
I love the Beatles too much to see this movie. The fact that there are characters named Jude, Lucy, and Sadie is bad enough, but once I heard that they used I Want You for an army montage, that crossed the line. :eyebrow:

Sounds like they're using that song ironically. The Uncle Sam draft posters featured the character pointing and saying "I WANT YOU...to join the U.S. Army". Considering the film is partially about the anti-war movement of the late 60's, it's fitting, and creative, to use the song this way.

The character name thing is a little precious, but so what? The Beatles were very tongue in cheek, and I'm sure the filmmakers' intent ran along the same lines. That the names of so many Beatles songs are common knowledge makes the whole thing kind of fun.

That being said, the movie could still be cheesy as all hell. But from what I've heard, people who are really into the band are more likely to enjoy themselves.

lazarus said:

Sounds like they're using that song ironically. The Uncle Sam draft posters featured the character pointing and saying "I WANT YOU...to join the U.S. Army". Considering the film is partially about the anti-war movement of the late 60's, it's fitting, and creative, to use the song this way.

The character name thing is a little precious, but so what? The Beatles were very tongue in cheek, and I'm sure the filmmakers' intent ran along the same lines. That the names of so many Beatles songs are common knowledge makes the whole thing kind of fun.

That being said, the movie could still be cheesy as all hell. But from what I've heard, people who are really into the band are more likely to enjoy themselves.

Oh, I understand why they used it there. "It says 'I want you' on the poster, so let's use a song called I Want You there! And, to top it off, when they sing 'she's so heavy', let's show some soldiers lifting the statue of liberty across Vietnam!" (this actually happens in the film) :|

I definitely have a sense of humor, so I should be able to get into this film, but I dunno...it's just so cheesy. :lol: Maybe I'll rent it for a lark someday.

lazarus said:

That's exactly right :up: In fact I think a non-Beatles fan is much less likely to enjoy it. All the familiararity is what makes it so fun.

LemonMelon said:

Oh, I understand why they used it there. "It says 'I want you' on the poster, so let's use a song called I Want You there! And, to top it off, when they sing 'she's so heavy', let's show some soldiers lifting the statue of liberty across Vietnam!" (this actually happens in the film) :|

I definitely have a sense of humor, so I should be able to get into this film, but I dunno...it's just so cheesy. :lol: Maybe I'll rent it for a lark someday.

That is exactly how the scene goes with "she's so heavy" and the statue of liberty. But I laughed when I saw the scene, I liked it! That, along with the uncle sam thing was all part of the fun atmosphere of this film I think. I think you might be missing out if you don't go see it just for those reasons! Those scenes when put in context with the rest of the movie worked for me anyways. It's a fun ride thru all the years of the Beatles music, and after listening to the Beatles for 35+ years, seeing them interpretted in new fun ways on the big screen was a real treat.

I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep until I put all my thoughts on the movie into one cohesive space. :nerd:

This was the longest music video ever.

====Mild spoilers follow====

I didn't expect any good acting to come out of this, and in that sense I was not disappointed. The Beatles were shitty actors too, ya know.
What I did see was an active interpretation of music through film and story - the essence of a good music video. Visually, it was stunning. I saw things on film that I thought could never work and they did. My eyes were feasting at every moment.
My ears were feasting as well, as I liked nearly every cover in the movie. I especially liked how some songs were slowed down to focus on the lyrics.

Here is the tricky part, folks. It relied far too much on the lyrics. If you want to make a movie like this, you have to create at least TWO characters that you would seriously shed a tear for if they died. I didn't feel that for any of them (maybe Max, but that was for different reasons...). I feel like they tried to make five or six main characters when there really should have only been two as the trailer suggests.

Of all the storylines, Max's was by far my favorite. This captured the spirit of the '60s. The discovery, the rebellion, the war, the loss, the aftermath. His character was the everyman that spoke for an entire generation and I could definitely see a strong movie come out of a story like his.
The love story has been done before, as all love stories have, but this one lacked a lot from it. I suppose it was because the characters didn't feel sincere. I couldn't see how they were in love. I definitely heard it, but I could never see it. If you want to see a love story, watch Love Actually. :up:

Favorite song: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Yes it is! Despite the sextuplet Salma Hayeks, I loved the "GUNNNNN" part. Definitely reminded me of "Comfortably Numb" in The Wall, if it were on happy pills.

I also really enjoyed "I Want You (She's So Heavy"). It put a very interesting spin on it. I love that they carried the Statue of Liberty while they sang she's so heavy. It gave me a bit of kick in this side when I think how hard it is to be an American and at the same time disagree with the things your country is doing.

Least favorite: Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite.
It creeped me out. But I really like the song on its own. I just hated the visual representation and it didn't fit in with the rest of the movie. Not even Bono and the Amazing Technicolor Bus. (Loved that, by the way!)

I'd definitely watch it again. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it could have been and it wasn't as good as I thought it could have been.

So...a 7.5/10? Sounds right.

Last edited:
Lancemc said:

Nicely put. I'm not a Beatles fan, so I doubt I'll like it. Then again, I probably don't bond with Beatles songs because I don't realize their political relevance and this might be one way. Maybe I'll ask my Beatles fan friend if he wants to go.

Richard Roeper says Bono gives an impression of Robin Williams doing an impression of Bono.

Nah, I didn't see any Robin Williams in Bono's performance. I am curious to hear what a non Beatles fan thinks of the movie. You should go and let us know!

I saw it last night, the music was good but the writing and characters didn't seem all that solid to me-sort of cliche and some of the lines and literal Beatles stuff made me cringe (the silver hammer and she came in through the bathroom window, etc). I thought the two leads were good and good singers too(maybe Evan Rachel took singing lessons from Marilyn Manson :wink:). Thought it was too long too. Bono without his accent was strange.

It's enjoyable though just for the music and some of the visuals.

There were parts of it that were very stunning. Regardless of my status as a U2 fan, I thought Bono's bit was one of the best in the movie, because it brought comic relief and some much-needed charisma that some of the other actos seemed to lack.

I really liked the actor playing Jude, and also liked Max. Some of the other actors were kind of flat for me.

I might change my mind about how much I liked it over the next few days, but there were parts of it I thought were really well-done. The army screenings bit was really cool with all the little boxes opening up (but the Statue of Liberty thing was groan-worthy. I prefer metaphors that aren't quite so anvilly) and I also loved the bowling alley scene.

Muldfeld said:

Richard Roeper says Bono gives an impression of Robin Williams doing an impression of Bono.

That's funny, but Richard Roeper is still one of the biggest dumbasses in the whole business.

I saw no bit of "Robin Williams" in Bono's performance.

As soon as Bono shows up on screen acting like a manic attention whore, then I'll agree with a Robin Williams comparison.

It's not playing anywhere near me, will there be a wider release this weekend?

I have heard that some theatres are still hoping to receive it in the coming weeks. I guess they have to wait til the 1st theatres are done with it :huh:

It's playing at a handful of theaters in Seattle. The theater I saw it at downtown was in digital projection, and I could really tell a difference. I almost felt like I'd put in new contact lenses this morning! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom