MERGED-->Academy Award nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennispunk

Acrobat
Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad
Academy Award nominations

So what does everyone think?

http://www.oscars.org/77academyawards/nomannc/index.html

I thought "The Aviator" was absolutely terrible, and I think "Hotel Rwanda" should have been nominated instead. I thought "Finding Neverland" was far and away the best movie of the year, and Johnny Depp was fantastic in it. Sadly, I think "The Aviator" will probably win because silly academy voters feel like douches because Martin Scorsese has been shafted for so many years.

Where is Paul Giamatti? He was great in Sideways!!!! Also Liam Neeson in Kinsey.

Do they always have to nominate Clint Eastwood? I know he's good but for acting! Come on! So many other actors should have been nominated.

I'm glad that the girl from Maria Full of Grace got nominated. She's was great!

What the Academy Award Nominations SHOULD have been:

Doing major categories only:

Best Film:

Farenheit 9/11
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
Garden State
Hotel Rowanda
Finding Neverland

Should Win: Garden State
Will Win: None of the above, unfortunately The Aviator or Ray will likely win.

Best Actor In A Lead Role:

Don Cheadle, Hotel Rowanda
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Johnny Depp - Finding Neverland
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Liam Neeson - Kinsey

NOTE: This was an incredibly hard category to nominate. It is with great hesitance that I leave Leo and Paul Giamatti off the list.

Should Win: Jamie Foxx. I love Jim Carrey so much and I want so much for him to get reconginzed finally but he wasn't even nominated. But even if he was...to say his performance was better than Foxx's would be foolish.
Will Win: Jamie Foxx

Best Actor In A Supporting Role:

Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
Peter Sarsgaard - Garden State
Alan Alda - The Aviator
Thomas Haden Church - Sideways
Clive Owen - Closer

Should Win: Morgan Freeman
Will Win: Morgan Freeman(Finally)

Best Actress In A Lead Role:

Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Regina King - Ray
Natalie Portman - Garden State

Should Win: Regina King, that she wasn't nominated is ridiculous. I've only seen a scene in a preview for the film with her in it and I can see that she should win this.
Will Win: Hilary Swank

Best Actress In A Supporting Role:

Cate Blanchett - The Aviator
Laura Linney - Kinsey
Virginia Madsen - Sideways
Sophie Okonedo - Hotel Rowanda
Natalie Portman - Closer

NOTE: This is the only major category they got right with the nominations

Should Win: Cate Blanchett
Will Win: Virginia Madsen

Best Director:

Martin Scorsase - The Aviator
Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby
Michael Moore - Farenheit 9/11
Zach Braff - Garden State
Michel Gondry - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Toughest category this year.

Should Win: I thought Braff was amazing with Garden State, and I think Moore is underappreciated. Neither were nominated. Scorsase, because he deserves one for his older films.

Will Win: Clint Eastwood

Best Song:

Old Habits Die Hard - Alfie
Let Go - Frou Frou
Believe - The Polar Express
Learn To Be Lonely - The Phantom Of The Opera
Accidentally In Love - Shrek 2

Should Win: Old Habits Die Hard
Will Win: Learn To Be Lonely. This irks me because I don't like the practice of adding newly written songs to musicals that have been around forever when making them into a film.

FINAL NOTE: I have tremendous respect for all the work Kevin Spacey did for 'Beyond The Sea'. I originally intended to have it represented here but it just couldn't fit anywhere.

There you have it.

Last edited:
i was REALLY happy to see Kate Winslet in there for Eternal Sunshine.

i think it's almost a given that jaimie foxx will win best actor however i would love to see johnny depp win.

I really hope Sideways or Million Dollar Baby win. I liked The Aviator, but Scorsese has done so much better. It is pathetic that Scorsese has never won anything but I also don't want them to make up for it by giving him director or picture for one of his weaker efforts.

And, seriously, how could they leave Paul Giamatti off? Though I was presently surprised to see Eastwood make it as actor. Basically, there were about 7 actors I wanted to make the cut so I would have been pissed regardless.

My take on the best pictures:

Sideways - A
Million Dollar Baby - A
Finding Neverland - A-
Ray - B+
The Aviator - B+

I think a combination of your list and the Academy's would have been ideal. You left off Sideways and Million Dollar Baby!!! Shame.

I do wish Eternal Sunshine had made it, but knew it wouldn't. I was disappointed in Fahrenheit 911. I hate Bush but I thought the film was flawed. Liked Bowling for Columbine a lot more.

I :heart: The Aviator.

I think this is finally Marty's year but then again, I'm highly biased. I'm a HUGE Scorcese fan! I think he's going to get his retroactive Best Director Oscar and he deserves it. It's been a long time coming. :)

zorya said:
i was REALLY happy to see Kate Winslet in there for Eternal Sunshine.

i think it's almost a given that jaimie foxx will win best actor however i would love to see johnny depp win.

Kate Winslet is due to win an Oscar eventually. she's been nominated many times but sadly this won't be her year. :(

Johnny Depp would be great.

You never know, while it may be a given that Jamie Foxx will win, strange things have happened at the Oscars.

i thought the aviator was excellent, but i expect it to get screwed like gangs of ny did.

other than that, i don't think i saw enough of those other movies to give a shit.

edit: correction

“Accidentally In Love” from “Shrek 2” (DreamWorks)
Music by Adam Duritz, Charles Gillingham, Jim Bogios, David Immergluck, Matthew Mallery and David Bryson
Lyric by Adam Duritz and Daniel Vickrey

shouldn't win a damn thing. that song was annoying in the movie, and out of the movie.

Last edited:
angel_of_L.A. said:
I :heart: The Aviator.

I think this is finally Marty's year but then again, I'm highly biased. I'm a HUGE Scorcese fan! I think he's going to get his retroactive Best Director Oscar and he deserves it. It's been a long time coming. :)

:up:

IWasBored said:
i thought the aviator was excellent, but i expect it to get screwed like gangs of ny did.

other than that, i don't think i saw enough of those other movies to give a shit.

If you haven't seen them, try to see Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Finding Neverland and Eternal Sunshine. They are all great films and, while I like The Aviator, it pales in comparison. Just my own film geek opinion.

bsp77 said:

If you haven't seen them, try to see Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Finding Neverland and Eternal Sunshine. They are all great films and, while I like The Aviator, it pales in comparison. Just my own film geek opinion.

i didn't like eternal sunshine.

didn't see the others, though.

I didn't like Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine. I felt she chewed up the scenery and not effectively either.

Hilary Swank, on the other hand, was brilliant.

Million Dollar Baby was the best film of the year. Because it was the only one that was subtle. Finding Neverland is my emotional favourite.

The Aviator was better than I thought, but not THAT good and Leo is stealing some man's Oscar if he gets it.

Eternal Sunshine is Lost In Translation of this year

always, Academy nominate some "alternative movie", because they're so open to new offers and visions :rolleyes:

if you wanna see a good movie, go to see "Original Screenplay" winners and not "Best Film" winners

oh, yes, and The Sea Inside (Spain) is a great movie...

For Best Actor, anybody but DiCaprio should win. That guy's ego should not be allowed to get any bigger

Paul Giamatti should have been nominated. I guess we know who lost the popularity contest. :|

If I had to put money on this thing I'd pick

*Best Picture: The Aviator
*Best Director: Martin Scorcese
*Best Actress: Hiliary Swank
*Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
*Best Supporting Actress: Natalie Portman
*Best Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman

tennispunk said:
oh IWB.... Gangs of NY? other than Daniel Day-Lewis, I thought that movie was as self-indulgent and boringly long as The Aviator. ick!

yeah, gangs of ny. my favorite movie ever.

Back
Top Bottom