MERGED--> 300 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:16 AM
it's visually the most stunning move i have ever seen. plot isn't as good, but the battle scenes are so amazing!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
here is a review

Quote:
Battle of the Manly Men

By A. O. SCOTT

“300” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid. Adapted from a graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, it offers up a bombastic spectacle of honor and betrayal, rendered in images that might have been airbrushed onto a customized van sometime in the late 1970s. The basic story is a good deal older. It’s all about the ancient Battle of Thermopylae, which unfolded at a narrow pass on the coast of Greece whose name translates as Hot Gates.

Hot Gates, indeed! Devotees of the pectoral, deltoid and other fine muscle groups will find much to savor as King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) leads 300 prime Spartan porterhouses into battle against Persian forces commanded by Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), a decadent self-proclaimed deity who wants, as all good movie villains do, to rule the world.

The Persians, pioneers in the art of facial piercing, have vastly greater numbers — including ninjas, dervishes, elephants, a charging rhino and an angry bald giant — but the Spartans clearly have superior health clubs and electrolysis facilities. They also hew to a warrior ethic of valor and freedom that makes them, despite their gleeful appetite for killing, the good guys in this tale. (It may be worth pointing out that unlike their mostly black and brown foes, the Spartans and their fellow Greeks are white.)

But not all the Spartans back in Sparta support their king on his mission. A gaggle of sickly, corrupt priests, bought off by the Persians, consult an oracular exotic dancer whose topless gyrations lead to a warning against going to war. And the local council is full of appeasers and traitors, chief among them a sardonic, shifty-eyed smoothy named Theron (Dominic West, known to fans of “The Wire” as the irrepressible McNulty).

Too cowardly to challenge Leonidas man to man, he fixes his attention on Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey), a loyal wife and Spartan patriot who fights the good fight on the home front. Gorgo understands her husband’s noble purpose, the higher cause for which he is willing to sacrifice his life. “Come home with your shield or on it,” she tells him as he heads off into battle after a night of somber marital whoopee. Later she observes that “freedom is not free.”

Another movie — Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s “Team America,” whose wooden puppets were more compelling actors than most of the cast of “300” — calculated the cost at $1.05. I would happily pay a nickel less, in quarters or arcade tokens, for a vigorous 10-minute session with the video game that “300” aspires to become. Its digitally tricked-up color scheme, while impressive at times, is hard to tolerate for nearly two hours (true masochists can seek out the Imax version), and the hectic battle scenes would be much more exciting in the first person. I want to chop up some Persians too!

There are a few combat sequences that achieve a grim, brutal grandeur, notably an early engagement in which the Spartans, hunkered behind their shields, push back against a Persian line, forcing enemy soldiers off a cliff into the water. The big idea, spelled out over and over in voice-over and dialogue in case the action is too subtle, is that the free, manly men of Sparta fight harder and more valiantly than the enslaved masses under Xerxes’ command. Allegory hunters will find some gristly morsels of topicality tossed in their direction, but you can find many of the same themes, conveyed with more nuance and irony, in a Pokémon cartoon.

Zack Snyder’s first film, a remake of George Romero’s “Dawn of the Dead,” showed wit as well as technical dexterity. While some of that filmmaking acumen is evident here, the script for “300,” which he wrote with Kurt Johnstad and Michael B. Gordon, is weighed down by the lumbering portentousness of the original book, whose arresting images are themselves undermined by the kind of pomposity that frequently mistakes itself for genius.

In time, “300” may find its cultural niche as an object of camp derision, like the sword-and-sandals epics of an earlier, pre-computer-generated-imagery age. At present, though, its muscle-bound, grunting self-seriousness is more tiresome than entertaining. Go tell the Spartans, whoever they are, to stay home and watch wrestling.

after that review
I may still see it

But, tonight I will see "The Host" R T gave is a 94%

Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Saw this movie last night in Imax The visuals and the fight scenes were fucking beautiful. I want to go back in time and be a Spartan now.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 07:16 AM
I justed watched a documentary called the Last Stand of the 300 on the History Channel brings new insight to this historic battle! Why the Spartans lasted as long as they did with the phlanx. (also there were 7000 other Greeks there as well but on the last day the 300 remained with 1000 other Greeks). That the Persian army was not equipped to combat the phlanx and their armour was pathetic. The Immortals shields were Wicker compared to the Greek's brass shields.

I loved the visuals in the movie!! Brilliant!! I should take a look at the comic. A lot of the dialogue are actual quotes. Spartan culture was so very brutal but hell they were a warrior state!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

"300"

No, it wasn't historical accurate - but it was certainly fun to watch! It's amazing what CGI can do these days.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Saw this movie last night in Imax
IMAX

DC doesn't have a lot of IMAX that will play movies on the IMAX screen and if they do it's after 7 pm.

I got the next best thing however. I got to watch a Digital Projection of the movie!!! Yum!!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 AM
http://forum.interference.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

They had 300 playing 24 hrs straight on Imax yesterday. I went to the 12:40 AM showing. Got Home at 3:40.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
http://forum.interference.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1
You're right - I should have posted this in there. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I loved it. Now those are some real men

the best part was when he was eating the apple. that was classic.

I saw it in the regular theatre but now I kinda wanna go see it on IMAX... so awesome. Yes it was overdramatic and overglorified war, but that was the point. That's what they lived for, or at least that's how Frank Miller made it.

very nice
Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Well it certainly looks like nothing I've seen before, so I'll definitely go and see it.

It's a bit strange that even though I'm completely indifferent to modern-day war films (from 20th century on), I absolutely love the ones set in ancient/medieval times. Maybe precisely because they feel so removed from the modern era.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Saw this movie last night in Imax The visuals and the fight scenes were fucking beautiful. I want to go back in time and be a Spartan now.
Enrolling at Michigan State would be more practical.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
I loved it. Now those are some real men

the best part was when he was eating the apple. that was classic.

I saw it in the regular theatre but now I kinda wanna go see it on IMAX... so awesome. Yes it was overdramatic and overglorified war, but that was the point. That's what they lived for, or at least that's how Frank Miller made it.

very nice
Exactly my feelings.

And, like so many others apparently, when I left the movie I had the strongest desire to pick up a loin cloth and a spear so I could be a Spartan.

Possibly the coolest and best-looking movie I've ever seen.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Old 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

memphis and i are excited to watch the best bodies in Brentwood, CA walk around in speedos and capes with well oiled and waxed pecs, lats, glutes, and biceps and thrust swords into one another and talk about what big strong men they are.