Merge= MofoDaddy Coldplay Appreciation - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2002, 04:06 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:51 AM
wink

goodnight munchkin!

*smoooooch

*is part of the wanderer vampire club at pleba

Old 09-07-2002, 04:11 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:51 PM
right back at ya, sweetness and light...

oh...

oh...

oh you meant him

Old 09-07-2002, 04:16 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:51 AM

obviously i wasnt talking to you.

screw off.

:macdevil: :eyebrow: :grumpy: :laugh: :yes: :mad:

hahahahahaahahhhaha look i know how to use smiles EE. hahahahahahah

hahahahhahaaaaa.

:|
Old 09-07-2002, 04:21 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i wasnt talking to you either, u swell head
i can use smilies betterer than u

aren't they great?!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 05:54 AM   #35
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
I think maybe my over-exposure to Coldplay comes from reading this place and every day a new not-so-subtle thread about how Rush of Blood is the greatest thing since Cate Blanchett
sounds familiar
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-07-2002, 08:58 AM   #36
War Child

tis ok now salomey
radiodead is gone bye bye now
there, there

*pats salomey on the head
Old 09-07-2002, 12:41 PM   #37
Kid A

Local Time: 07:51 AM

yeah, sometimes I get tired of hearing about how great U2 is too salome
Old 09-07-2002, 01:59 PM   #38
Refugee

I don't want to put words in Michael's mouth, but I think what he's doing is removing this album from the current tide of crap and comparing it to really stellar music.

One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough. There is hope that things may be turning around; the buzz about the Hives, the Stokes, etc., may be an indication of the turn-around, even if the actual "next big thing" involves other bands. Still, music is dominated by the heavy-handed, rather humorless music of Creed & Co. and the so-called anti-Britney's like Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton, BOTH of which seem to be more the products of calculating label management than the benefactors of the muse's blessing.

To say that A Rush of Blood is better than the current wave of safe elevator music is true (I think painfully obvious), but it underplays JUST how good it really is.

So, let's put this album in the ring against albums released during the last really stellar era of rock: the early 90's. This puts A Rush of Blood against Achtung Baby, Nevermind, Ten, Siamese Dream... one great album after another.

THE ALBUM STILL HOLDS UP.

The feat is particularly amazing given that the critics predicted them to be a one-trick pony ("Yellow") for bed-wetters, given that this is completely contrary to the current music scene, and given that this ONLY their second album.

Don't get defensive over our reactions about this album: don't start thinking it over-rated ONLY because a few of us think it so great. (There may be a reason we think it so great.) Get the album, turn the volume up and the lights down, close your eyes, and LISTEN. Don't look for things to praise or criticize the first time through; just allow yourself to wade into the deep end of this music.

And when the last vocal of "Amsterdam" ends ("You came along and cut me loose") and the organ finally cuts out, open your eyes and ask yourself, were you moved?

Bubba
Old 09-07-2002, 06:10 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Big Grin Im so HAPPY, I finally got.....................

COLDPLAYS "PARACHUTES" AND "RUSH OF BLOOD"

NOW I MUST GET:

BRUCCCCCE
PETE
RYAN ADAMS
AND OTHERS!
Old 09-07-2002, 07:07 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
I don't want to put words in Michael's mouth, but I think what he's doing is removing this album from the current tide of crap and comparing it to really stellar music.

One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough. There is hope that things may be turning around; the buzz about the Hives, the Stokes, etc., may be an indication of the turn-around, even if the actual "next big thing" involves other bands. Still, music is dominated by the heavy-handed, rather humorless music of Creed & Co. and the so-called anti-Britney's like Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton, BOTH of which seem to be more the products of calculating label management than the benefactors of the muse's blessing.

To say that A Rush of Blood is better than the current wave of safe elevator music is true (I think painfully obvious), but it underplays JUST how good it really is.

So, let's put this album in the ring against albums released during the last really stellar era of rock: the early 90's. This puts A Rush of Blood against Achtung Baby, Nevermind, Ten, Siamese Dream... one great album after another.

THE ALBUM STILL HOLDS UP.

The feat is particularly amazing given that the critics predicted them to be a one-trick pony ("Yellow") for bed-wetters, given that this is completely contrary to the current music scene, and given that this ONLY their second album.

Don't get defensive over our reactions about this album: don't start thinking it over-rated ONLY because a few of us think it so great. (There may be a reason we think it so great.) Get the album, turn the volume up and the lights down, close your eyes, and LISTEN. Don't look for things to praise or criticize the first time through; just allow yourself to wade into the deep end of this music.

And when the last vocal of "Amsterdam" ends ("You came along and cut me loose") and the organ finally cuts out, open your eyes and ask yourself, were you moved?

Bubba
No, you aren't putting words in my mouth at all. That pretty much sums it up!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 AM
Well, I know you're all dying to hear from me on the matter...and I don't blame you, I have some pretty mindblowing thoughts.

To make a statement like "a rush of blood to the head" is the best in a decade is a bit much. I really like the cd and have been listening to it constantly but I find the middle of the cd is a bit lacking. They're decent songs but they feel like they've been 'slapped' together. The first 4 tracks and the title track are enough to make up for that...they are amazing songs, especially politik, but compared to a cd like achtung Baby it does not compete. In fact, I like the first coldplay album just as much or better.

I'll say this much: I'm very glad they're looking for new songs and new song structure. Blood sounds nothing like Parachutes, which is a good satrt. They still have some maturing to do, however, in 10 years coldplay could very well be a groundbreaking, fucking amazing band. But who can see that far into the future?

For me the latest Flaming Lips album is better.

my picks for the best of 21st century:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi...
Doves - Last Broadcast
Elbow - Asleep in the Back
Ours - distorted Lullabies
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Old 09-07-2002, 08:49 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
To make a statement like "a rush of blood to the head" is the best in a decade is a bit much. I really like the cd and have been listening to it constantly but I find the middle of the cd is a bit lacking. They're decent songs but they feel like they've been 'slapped' together. The first 4 tracks and the title track are enough to make up for that...they are amazing songs, especially politik, but compared to a cd like achtung Baby it does not compete. In fact, I like the first coldplay album just as much or better.

I find it strange that you would say the middle of the album is lacking, and only include the first 4 songs as being "enough to make up for that." To me, the 5th song, 'Clocks', is up there with the best songs on the entire album. The next song, 'Daylight' is also a very good, more experimental song. Right after that -- and still part of the "middle" of the album -- you have 'Green Eyes' which, to my ears, is simpy stunning: a beautiful acoustic song that everyone since the Beatles wished they had come with. Beautiful mood, brilliant arrangement. One of the best songs off the album. Which song do we have next? Ah, the 8th track just happens to be another brilliant song! 'Warning Sign' is a standout in every way. Don't you just love how Chris Martin pleads, "...I miss you..." laa laa la la... Brilliant. Well, that pretty much covers the middle. Not very weak in my book, anyway.

As for the ending, don't even get me started on the title track and Amsterdam. I'm sure I would run out of superlatives.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #43
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 08:51 AM

Well I think you all know how I stand with Coldplay and their latest masterpiece. *ahem. However, let's not compare them to this or that, let's just enjoy them for the brilliance I believe their music is.

Maybe one day Wanderer will get a life and quit honing on threads that he knows he is simply going to just destroy. We know you dislike Coldplay, and we've gotten over it, perhaps you should too.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:07 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:51 AM
I just bought Coldplay's Rush of Blood today and I love it I cant stop listening to it! Its definately in my TOP TEN now!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #45
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough.
I think this statement is dangerously too general. There is always great music being made, you just have to look beyond the mainstream corperate medium to find it.

The early 90's had some great bands on the radio and MTV, but since then there has always been plenty of other great material available if you seek it out.

Tags
coldplay